No announcement yet.

New Bow or New Rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be that guy. Neither, the Z7 is still a great bow and if the rifle is lights out and rifles don't change for a long time, then why spend the money? I would wait until there was either a bow or a rifle I really felt like was something I really wanted/kinda needed. Not just because I wanna buy something new.

Comment

EEO decision here, buy both!

Comment

Originally posted by Ecobeast View Post
        Blake I was waiting for your input,what rifle is that and can ya give me a little more info on it.
        it's chambered in 6BR although any cartridge will work ... 243, 6mm, 22BR, 22-250, etc...

action $400
        send to PacNor $600 - new stainless select match grade barrel , chambered, trued action, cartridge of choice
        take-off HS stock - $200
        skim bed - $100

you can spend more $$ by adding custom paint, upgraded trigger, etc...

PN was just one option, call other GS's , ask questions, and discuss your potential build

edit: I have no doubt that if you own a super accurate fun rifle, you will get more use out it than a new bow which usually collects dust sitting in the case

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 10-12-2016, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Buying a new bow would be your best bet. Bows are ever changing improving speed and shootability. I shoot a winchester model 70 featherweight .270 that was handed down to me by my grandfather, and it shoots just as good if not better than any of the new age rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by hunter7 View Post
            Buying a new bow would be your best bet. Bows are ever changing improving speed and shootability. I shoot a winchester model 70 featherweight .270 that was handed down to me by my grandfather, and it shoots just as good if not better than any of the new age rifles.
            depreciation on bows are brutal; on average a new $1000 bow today will be worth $400-500 in 5 yrs.

based on your statement above, OP will have to buy a new bow every few yrs just to keep up with speed and shootability. Honestly, hunters today are still killing deer with 270 fps , 10 yr old bows. The SBXT is a prime example

conversely, your M70 featherweight is worth the same, if not more today than it was 30, 40, 50 yrs ago

from an investment POI, the rifle is a no brainer

bows do not last forever, whereas rifles often do

every family member can shoot the rifle, as bows are VERY user specific (in 10 yrs, replacement bow parts are pretty much obsolete)

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 10-12-2016, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Cajun pm sent

Comment

I recommend getting a custom or nice recurve or longbow.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                  depreciation on bows are brutal; on average a new $1000 bow today will be worth $400-500 in 5 yrs.

based on your statement above, OP will have to buy a new bow every few yrs just to keep up with speed and shootability. Honestly, hunters today are still killing deer with 270 fps , 10 yr old bows. The SBXT is a prime example

conversely, your M70 featherweight is worth the same, if not more today than it was 30, 40, 50 yrs ago

from an investment POI, the rifle is a no brainer

bows do not last forever, whereas rifles often do

every family member can shoot the rifle, as bows are VERY user specific (in 10 yrs, replacement bow parts are pretty much obsolete)

How come your explanation was so much prettier than mine?

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
                    Buy a new(er) gun, hands down. It will hold it's value far longer than than any bow you would get.

excellent post, this man speaks the truth

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
                    How come your explanation was so much prettier than mine?
                    it only took me 126 words to basically plagiarize what you said in 20 words

I gave credit to my sources - see above reply

Comment

Buy the new bow, every time.

I don't even own a rifle, so I may be a bit biased.

I really enjoy shooting my bows, I shoot almost every day, in my back yard, I shoot 3-D tournaments on the weekends, indoor leagues during the week; there is no way I would get that kind of mileage out of a rifle.

Neither are investments, not really; sure, bows depreciate faster than guns, but that only matters if you plan on selling them. Even then, neither one will be worth what you paid for it.

Follow your folly; for me that's archery, which means a new bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                        excellent post, this man speaks the truth

it only took me 126 words to basically plagiarize what you said in 20 words

I gave credit to my sources - see above reply
                        Don't sell yourself short brotha. We all know that you know your shiznit and it carries a lot of clout.

The older I get, the more I appreciate being able to hand down something that my grand kids could eventually use.

Comment

Rifle hands down IMO

Too many good deals on bows here on TBH you can probably upgrade to a "newish" bow for a fraction of the cost later on down the road, as well as help out a fellow member
                          Last edited by Daniel32; 10-12-2016, 02:51 PM.

Comment

See my thread on the other side of the ranch.
                            Euro Optics has the Tikka T3s heavily discounted, the new T3x is out.
                            I ordered a hunter model (blued barrel, wood stock) in 7mm Rem Mag for $498 plus shipping ($25). I got it for future elk and to put a world of hurt on CA piggies.
                            Or invest in a better scope.

Comment

Working...
                            X