New Truck or fix up old one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Truck or fix up old one

I have a very nice 02 7.3. Not a dent on it but the paint could use some work....7/10. 291,000 miles but she runs just fine but does have the normal drip or two of oil. Interior is as nice as you could ask for with a 16yr old truck. I have a 60hp chip in it with factory turbo and exhaust, injectors are factory and tranny was rebuilt at 230,000.

Do I spend $12k and have the engine gone through (adding 100hp) and the paint redone or put $15-$20k down on a new one and have a $800-$825 a month payment for the next 4 years. I really like the comfort of the new trucks but I’m deathly afraid of the repair costs on all the emissions crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roll it until the hubs fall off! Imagine all of the recreational entertainment you can have with that $1000 a month you'd be shelling out.. :/

Comment

You could get into a better condition 7.3 roughly same year with way less miles for $15k-$20k!

You could probably sell yours for $10k.

Difference of only spending $5k-$10k

Comment

I would keep the old one and spend 12K to 15K and fix it up nice.

Comment

Or what antlers86 said.

Comment

If you put down 20k on a new truck, your payment will be much less than 1k/month. Unless you buy one that's 75k. Then, well that's up to you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

My thinking is I’m going to have to eventually buy a new truck. Do I do it now or later ? They may be $100k in 5 years

Comment

At that mileage you need to have the suspension bushings checked too if rebuilding it.

Comment

fix up your truck or look on craigs list and you can find some pretty nice 7'3 250
                  Unless I win lotto won't never buy a new truck again. You can find a lot of nice used trucks for a lot less money and a lot of them have already been deleted

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                    If you put down 20k on a new truck, your payment will be much less than 1k/month. Unless you buy one that's 75k. Then, well that's up to you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Would be about $825. My CU will do 1.3%

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                      My thinking is I’m going to have to eventually buy a new truck. Do I do it now or later ? They may be $100k in 5 years

I think you want a new truck, your trying to justify it. I did the same thing last spring and have not regretted my new ride.

Comment

If you can afford it, go ahead and get you a new one man. You deserve it after 16 years. If you put 20k down you'll be in good shape. They ain't gonna get any cheaper.

Comment

I don’t think I could bring myself to put that much money into a truck with nearly 300k. If you like the truck and it’s running fine, keep driving it as-is. Who needs fancy paint?

There’s also something to be said for selling a truck with that high of mileage while it’s running well; before something major goes wrong and you’re stuck with the repair bill or selling a non-running truck.

Comment

Im not saying one way or the other but just curious. If your current truck is running just fine then why go spend $12k to go through it? Why not just keep driving it as is and save money to pay cash on a newer one?

Comment

Originally posted by clay4626 View Post
                              fix up your truck or look on craigs list and you can find some pretty nice 7'3 250
                              Unless I win lotto won't never buy a new truck again. You can find a lot of nice used trucks for a lot less money and a lot of them have already been deleted
                              Roger that! I bought a used 6.7 Cummins and still didn't like that price. I searched car gurus forever, and one day the one I bought popped up in my Facebook feeds, amongst the others daily. I only got it because my 5.9, six speed is on 35" bfg all terrains. Pulling the family to rodeos with a 3 horse living quarter trailer, it just wasn't practical. Went to a dual wheel auto, but "plain jane" with a work bed... lol. Kept the 5.9 though. It's the boat dragging, deer lease, round bale gettin', do everything else wagon.

If you hit the cargurus site and subscribe to your search, you'll get tons of feeds as trucks hit lots. Be patient. Just when you think u missed a good deal, another one will surface that's usually even better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X