Bum Phillips....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bum Phillips....

Maybe a lot of the GS don't remember this man....wore a Cowboy hat and boots when he coached the "Old Houston Oilers" and the Saints?

I like to read a lot and pulled a past Christmas gift from one of my son's from our extensive library..yep, we have a LOT of books.

I had never read it, had it for years, but when I opened the cover it was autographed by Bum to me. We have a family friend who was married to Bum's grand daughter thus the connection. Two of my son's went to Wade Phillips home in Dallas when he was the Cowboys coach, then attended a game in the coaches suite.

Anyway....I'm half thru the book and amazed at this man....WW2 Veteran..Marine Core and was in the Pacific combat theater. Just fascinated by the man, his history, faith and approach to life....thought I would share....

Luv Ya Blue!

Comment

Every Texan should know who Bum Phillips is. If y'all don't then git to learnin

Comment

Cool deal. Title of the book? I remember him well. I'm always looking for a good read.

Comment

If wearing a cowboy hat and boots on the sideline of a Oiler's game doesn't scream Texan loud and clear, then I don't know what does...

Comment

I can see his ranch from my front porch. Never met him but heard a lot of great things about him from the locals here.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
              If wearing a cowboy hat and boots on the sideline of a Oiler's game doesn't scream Texan loud and clear, then I don't know what does...
              He never wore his hat in the dome. He said it was "Not proper to wear a hat indoors."

Comment

I met his daughter on a couple of occasions, when we were in Advocare.

Best Bum story I ever heard was on the Michael Berry show, about when Earl Campbell showed up to training camp all fat and out of shape and only ran something like a 10- or 12-minute mile. The reporter made a big deal out of that and asked Bum to comment on it. Bum Phillips replied something like, "Yeah, well, if it's ever 4th and a mile we just won't give the ball to Earl."

Outstanding!

Comment

He was a living legend, and a true Texas icon. He was also a great quote for sports reporters. Here is a link to some of his best.

Comment

Title of the Autobiography:

Bum Phillips
                    Coach Cowboy Christian

ps....my son's told me after their time with Wade that he was as nice and down home as anyone they have ever met. Bum was the same when they went to their buddies wedding. Just goes to show you..."If you are confident about who you are, have faith in who you are....you don't have to tell everyone how great you really are."

Comment

Met and talked to him many many times . He had a ranch between Goliad and berclair , my dad knew him well and did a lot of work for him ...

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                        I met his daughter on a couple of occasions, when we were in Advocare.

Best Bum story I ever heard was on the Michael Berry show, about when Earl Campbell showed up to training camp all fat and out of shape and only ran something like a 10- or 12-minute mile. The reporter made a big deal out of that and asked Bum to comment on it. Bum Phillips replied something like, "Yeah, well, if it's ever 4th and a mile we just won't give the ball to Earl."

Outstanding!
                        Haha awesome

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          He was a living legend, and a true Texas icon. He was also a great quote for sports reporters. Here is a link to some of his best.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Bum-Phillips-3616/Quotes
                          Remember this one particularly...lol

 Last year we knocked on the door. This year we beat on it. Next year we're going to kick the son of a ***** in! 

Comment

Originally posted by Grulla View Post
                            Met and talked to him many many times . He had a ranch between Goliad and berclair , my dad knew him well and did a lot of work for him ...
                            His ranch is still there and they have a youth retreat in place under Bum Phillips Charities. They used the camp area to prepare 1,000's of meals to take to the people along the coast after hurricane Harvey hit.

Comment

Bum was an awesome man

Comment

Working...
                              X