AR 10 Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR 10 Advice

I'm looking to put together a NV hunting gun. that I'd eventually like to suppress. So I need y'all's help...

I'm on a budget and not in a place to spend more than $1k on a bare gun. Ideally, I'd like to spend around $800.

Now that my budget's been established, what are y'all's thoughts on guns? Did a bit of searching on here and it seems that it's a buyer's market right now but I'm not at all knowledgeable in ARs, in general.

I was recommended the PSA Gen2 PA10 but I've heard mixed things.

Thoughts? TIA

I shoot a DPMS LR-308 and am very happy for a budget gun. I had to replace the trigger because the stock trigger was long, gritty and mushy. Otherwise, 16 inch barrel is perfect length in a deer stand and it shoots 1 inch groups at 100yds with quality factory ammo. I added a suppressor and that rifle is my go-to for most of my rifle hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
      I shoot a DPMS LR-308 and am very happy for a budget gun. I had to replace the trigger because the stock trigger was long, gritty and mushy. Otherwise, 16 inch barrel is perfect length in a deer stand and it shoots 1 inch groups at 100yds with quality factory ammo. I added a suppressor and that rifle is my go-to for most of my rifle hunting.
      I've heard/read good things about DPMS from multiple people. Do they make a model with an 18" barrel? Do you think the performance between the 2 is be noticeable within 150 yards, in general? Would the extra 2" be a little much once I put a can on it?

Sorry to inundate you with Qs. Lol Just kinda thinkin' out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
        I've heard/read good things about DPMS from multiple people. Do they make a model with an 18" barrel? Do you think the performance between the 2 is be noticeable within 150 yards, in general? Would the extra 2" be a little much once I put a can on it?

Sorry to inundate you with Qs. Lol Just kinda thinkin' out loud.

They have made different versions but I haven't shopped one in a while. Seems like the had a tactical SSAS mode (or something like that) with a longer barrel. The longer barrel will give more velocity but will not be inherently more accurate, all else equal. At my distances (no more than 300yds and mostly under 200) I was not concerned about the velocity loss. Shorter barrel in a deer stand was more important for me. It does get long quick with a suppressor on the end. So a short barre and collapsible stock make mine handle very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like AR 10 for hogs but if you predator hunt and pop a bobcat or Coyote, AR10 gonna split it in half. The 223 doesn't quite get the job done unless its a head shot on pigs so my thermal setup is on a 6.8 SPC. Its awesome for all around.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
            I like AR 10 for hogs but if you predator hunt and pop a bobcat or Coyote, AR10 gonna split it in half. The 223 doesn't quite get the job done unless its a head shot on pigs so my thermal setup is on a 6.8 SPC. Its awesome for all around.
            I rarely predator hunt. Never actually. I will shoot a 'yote if I we cross paths though. Not too concerned with what he looks like afterwards Lol

6.8 SPC. I'll look into that.

Thanks

Comment

Yea if no predators then AR10 100%. I absolutely love mine, Sig.

Comment

My dad has a PSA ar10. He loves it. Shoots tight groups and very reliable.

Comment

I have been super impressed with the fit and finish. They also offer a 20" but I was trying to keep it short. Shoots .75 MOA so far with factory Federal Power Shock,(think that's what they are called), and shot just under .5 MOA with initial load work up, still might tweek a little more.
                  They test fire 4 rounds and send them to you with the upper.

A pic of a javi that went night night at 150 yards.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Decisions, decisions.... Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.

Comment

I just bought a PSA Gen2 .308 Stainless Lightweight for $580 out the door! You won't beat that

And my buddy bought it and paid $699 few months ago. No problems with his and suppressor does not jam with it. He has shot many hogs at night with it

Comment

Lots of good ones out there. Here's my DPMS LR-308. I'm happy with it.

Comment

Btw. The 25 round mag is on it bc it just looks cool. I hunt with a 10 round mag that is usually not even full. Hahaha

Comment

You can build an Aero AR10 pretty cheap last I checked

Comment

Originally posted by taylormade820 View Post
                              You can build an Aero AR10 pretty cheap last I checked
                              What is pretty cheap? j/w don't know much about building em

Comment

Working...
                              X