Tell me about your 45-70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me about your 45-70

What do you hunt with it? What's your effective range? What ammo do you like? What gn do you have? Blah blah blah

Please share your experiences

Can't say too much about mine as I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. But I recently purchased a Henry cold case hardened steel .45-70 topped of with a vortex Dimondback 3-9 x 40 scope. Started with a box of Hornday LeverEvolution ammo to start but plan on trying buffalo Bore ammo as well and if all else fail will roll my own. Plans are to take it back home to Maine when I finally draw my moose tag. May also try to take a black bear if I get time to hunt back home. Depending how it shoots I may also take the scope off and throw on a peep sight.....but that would be a project for a later date.

Comment

I've killed two deer and a few hogs with it. I need to make a point of carrying it more as it's a lot fun and my favorite rig for spot and stalk hog hunting.

One of those deer was killed at 210 yards. I know that seems extreme but with the 325 grain Hornady Leverevolution it shoots 3 inches at 200 yards. It's an inch or less at 100 with a 1-4 illuminated dot Millet on top.

The below is a 200 yard group, she won't make a head shot at that range but considering that's a 6 inch target with a 1 inch spot it will work.
      Attached Files

Comment

I've got a Marlin GBL with a 2x scope. I shoot 300gr coreloks and the Leverevolutions. Mine shoots right at an inch at a 100yds. It's a hog hammer. I'll hunt my bow stand with it so my shots are close. I've not deer hunted with it only because I use my bow or 30-06 for that business. I like the big gun.

Comment

Got two. First is a Marlin Guide Gun. Love it and will never sell it. I shoot hand loaded 300gr hard cast at 2215fps out of the short barrel. Sighted 2" @ 100', I think 6" low at 200 and still rolling like a freight train. It also shoots the 405gr JSP at 1850fps, but those suckers kick pretty good. I have a Leupold 2.5x shotgun scope on it. Only shot one buck with it...at a whopping 8yds.

Second one is a chopped down H&R single shot. 16" barrel. Shoots standard pressure 300gr JHP at about 1750fps. Youth stock, right at 30" long, 5.5lbs. Just about short enough to fit in a thigh holster a la Ash from army of Darkness. Lol. Recoil is excessive, but for close up pig popping in thick stuff it can't be beat. Oh, and it's dang accurate too!

Here they are...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been bow hunting with few exceptions for the last 7 years, however I own a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70 and I love it. Bought it for a hunt in New Brunswick Canada back in 2001.
            It has a Leupold IER Scout 2x scope on a weaver mount. This allows me to hunt with both eyes open with the extended eye relief scope. Also mounted a rear peep sight, b/c with the Weaver mount you have to remove the "V" open sight.

I've taken the scope off, and then put it right back on again (having marked the exact spot where it was mounted) and put 5 in the bull ring at 100 yds. I don't make it a habit but it was cool that it worked.
            Love this gun and have killed many deer and hogs with it. If I had tons 'o' $$$ I'd invest in a larger lever so as to fit a leather gloved hand easier, John Wayne style.

I shoot the leverevolution ammo 325 grain.

Comment

My old marlin shoots custom 435gr hard cast bullets at 1950fps into HONEST 1" 100yd groups. Its brutal but i guess i could shoot pretty much anything i want with it!

Comment

I completely forgot this one. Haven't shot it yet, but it has been in my family at least since the 1910s-20s, possibly since before then. All original Springfield 1878 trapdoor 45-70 made in 1884. Folks light-heartedly talk about hunting to put food on the table, but that is exactly what my great-grandfather and grandfather both used this for. Mainly in West Virginia then later in the mountains of North Carolina. It wasn't until the 40's that that side of my family began earning enough money to be able to hunt more for recreation than subsistence. I hope to take a deer with it some day.

Comment

I have 77 Marlin 1895 killed many critters with it over the years I usually shoot a 405 grain hard cast bullet fairly mild load it is topped with a Leupold 1.5x5 and I have a 2000 model Guide Gun shot several pigs and middle son used it for his first exotic a four horn ram it loves the 325 grain Hornady I can't load anything it likes better than the factory load it also wears a Leupold 1.5x5

Comment

I have a Browning 1885 with a 28" barrel and wouldn't be afraid to hunt anything that walks on this continent with it. My deer load for it is the Hornady 300gr HP at 2300fps although I've been tempted to try the 325 flex tips. I've only shot one deer with it at 200yards but it dropped on the spot and while the wound channel was impressive the surrounding meat damage was minimal. My preferred range is 300 yards or less and it will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 if I do my part.

The biggest downside to the 45/70 is the trajectory and the low ballistic coefficient. It starts out with a lot of power but bleeds it off fast and the bullet drops like a rock past 250 yards. I had to pass a shot at an Axis last year that was at roughly 400-450yards and being 25 yards off at that range equals a foot of drop. If I would have had my regular deer rifle it wouldn't have been an issue.

Comment

Walmart had one marked down to $299 the other day. I should have snagged it.

Comment

Mines an 1885 replica made by Uberti. 30" full octagon barrel, globe front sight and a shaver vernier sight on the tang. Designed as a black powder cartridge rifle and that's how I shoot it. A 530gr lead Creedmoor bullet that I cast myself over 62 grains of 2f black powder. Definitely the funnest gun to shoot I own.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                          I completely forgot this one. Haven't shot it yet, but it has been in my family at least since the 1910s-20s, possibly since before then. All original Springfield 1878 trapdoor 45-70 made in 1884. Folks light-heartedly talk about hunting to put food on the table, but that is exactly what my great-grandfather and grandfather both used this for. Mainly in West Virginia then later in the mountains of North Carolina. It wasn't until the 40's that that side of my family began earning enough money to be able to hunt more for recreation than subsistence. I hope to take a deer with it some day.

I have one like this 1884 that my grandfather bought army surplus in the early 1890's for $15. I hunted coyotes, feral dogs and other varmints around the farm growing up with it. Mine is not in near as good of condition as yours. My older cousin was allowed to play with it before my dad ended up with it. It is very accurate to 100 yards with 405 gr. Rem Korlocks (sp).

Sorry for hijacking.

JC

Comment

This is mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rifle 001 9-20-08.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	24464347

Comment

I picked my first 45-70 this winter & really like shooting it with open iron sites.
                              I grabbed the 405 gr ammo & like it's balance & recoil.
                              Planning to hunt with it this fall

Comment

Working...
                              X