Tractor Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tractor Recommendations

Looking to possibly purchase a tractor (never have before) for working on some land. Maybe 7 or 8 acres worth of food plots, so possibly plowing, discing, then seed drill if I could locate those items, brush beating around the house, and little things like that. Maybe even dragging some stumps to burn.

I dont have a very big budget for this but I also am not looking to buy immediately even though it would be nice for getting deer prep going....

There are a few tractors in the classifieds that have my eye and I was just wondering if yall thought that would be good idea for what I am looking at.

For example the 1975 Ford 2000 2wd gas engine tractor....

anyway- thinking out loud and since I have zero knowledge about tractors and what I could use what for

You will want 4wd with a loader and as many HP/weight as you can afford. Doing a lot of loader work or F/R work you will appreciate a hydrostatic transmission. I bought a Branson 55hp and am incredibly happy with it. To each their own, research the options that are important to you and good luck!

Comment

A tractor like that with a PTO and a tiller will do what you are wanting. I don't like gas because it is more difficult to keep gas fresh and carb issues, but they are cheaper.... Without a FEL 2wd is ok.

Comment

The Ford 3000 and 4000 series diesel tractors are solid machines. A diesel 35 to 50 hp is probably all you need for the type of work you will do. Most Tractors you can always add a front end loader later if you desire one. 4x4 is nice, but not required for the vast majority of stuff. 5’ disk and 5-6’ shredders are easy to come by for a few hundred dollars each at auctions and such.

Comment

My 40hp does everything I need, 4x4 with loader. That being said its in shop due to tier4 dpf issue thanks to the federal gov for screwing up diesels

Comment

The front bucket is a must for moving dirt to pushing brush etc. I have a 2 wheel drive and have always wished it was 4. I highly recommend the diesel. With 8 acres some people would use a tractor a little others a lot so my recommendation for hp would range from 20hp to 35hp depending on usage. Tractors can be dangerous if you are not use to using them. Know the limits of what you can and cannot do.

Comment

Stay away from a gas motor. Try to locate a 3000 like mentioned above or a Massey Ferguson 135. Both will allow you the ability to maneuver under low hanging limbs on trees. My grandfather farmed melons with both tractors and both still run today. I think the MF 135 has 13000 hours on it without any major repairs. The perkins diesel motors in the Massey's are hard to beat. Check out proxibid and you can watch the Brinkley monthly auction in Idabel, OK to get a general idea of what equipment is bringing. They normally have everything from new to old.

Comment

I have 640 acres. I have a 44 hp Mahindra 4x4 with FEL. It does everything I ask it to do.

I'd definitely get a FEL, definitely diesel and definitely get 4x4.

You can count on some recommendations telling you that you need a tractor with a gazillion horsepower and to "buy all the tractor you can afford". I could have bought a much bigger tractor but you get to a point where what you want to spend vs what you are using it for match up.

Comment

I love old Fords. I regularly use a 1984 Ford 4610 diesel to mow and do what ever else needs to be done and it's very reliable and easy to work on.

Comment

I have a JD 50 hp and its good enough for what I'm currently doing but, I'm also looking at getting a 90 hp for the bigger stuff. The rule I was told was, for every 10 hp of tractor you can use a FT of disk, ie 50 hp tractor, 5' disk. I'm sure I could go a bit bigger but, I'd bog down in areas on my place. Defiantly go diesel and go with a frontend loader. The guys with the smaller tractors probably don't have to move hay bails or pick up much with their fel, I want a grapple so, I need a bigger hp tractor.

It's all really what your going to do with your tractor. At least go talk with a tractor dealer and talk about what you have and what your plans are with it.

Comment

I greatly appreciate the wisdom and responses so far... Budget wise.... I am a youth minister so probably never be able to afford anything newer but I hear alot of old diesel recommendations so far.... Gotcha...

Comment

When you say dragging stumps...i hope you dont mean out of the ground. Takes a really big tractor to do that, and even then a tractor isnt the right tool for pulling up stumps

Comment

There is a place for that continental red seal engine, and it in the frame of a sa200. Go diesel if at all possible. That said, I have a 50hp Mahindra and it's a pretty solid machine. A 50-60hp ford would do you well.

Comment

Working...
                          X