Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 09-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #1
Space Ghost
Four Point

Hunt In: WV/OH/TN
Default Hand corning

Does anyone "hand corn" when they go hunting? I might give it a try soon. If you do any tips would be great.
Space Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #2
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Everytime. Just put the corn in your shooting lane a get ready. Feeder weary deer will hit hand corn more and as a whole it can extend your hunt as there's more corn on the ground.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
Space Ghost
Four Point

Thanks BURTONboy I got a 2 40# bags of Apple Corn ready togo!!
Old 09-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #4
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties

Never seen this topic discussed...

Welcome to TBH. Lots of good folks here with good info. This has been discussed a lot and you can search previous discussions.

I think the general consensus is most throw some out and have success with it.
HoustonHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #5
Hoss163
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

The best way to go is hand corn you will see a lot more deer and have a better chance to get them into bow range !! Just don't pile it up put it out in thin lines
Hoss163 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #6
Texifornia
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills Co.

Tip no. 1
Hold hand flat to keep from getting bit
Texifornia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #7
Space Ghost
Four Point

Thanks for the tips!Texifornia thats a good one lol!
Old 09-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #8
Christianhuff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Oklahoma, Collin County

Hand Corning works well in high pressure hunting areas like east Texas and southeastern Oklahoma. Big bucks just tend to get feeder wise at an early age, if they are lucky!
Christianhuff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #9
starn11gy
Six Point

Hunt In: Sonora tx. Sutton County

I have been feeding corn for many years see no bad effects. I put out about 2 lbs around to hold deer longer. The only bad experience has been using scented corn to hand feed because I never used it in feeder and they would not come in just wasn't right. So I just use same corn I use in feeder.
starn11gy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #10
6.5 shooter
Six Point

I hand corn a couple of spots I bow hunt for hogs. One of my fondest memories of hunting with my grandfather, was when he hand corned. He used a 1 lb folgers coffee can and he would pour it out the window of his 1964 Chevrolet truck.
6.5 shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #11
cva34
Six Point

Hunt In: Vienna ,Tx
Default Hand Corn

Not much can add pretty well covered..It works and they find it QUICK flavored on not...When they at feeder they nervious wreck..fling some out within sight of a feeder and they will relax and eat..
cva34 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 07:50 PM   #12
Robertt
Six Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County, Tx

I put some in a gallon zip lock bag and swing it back and forth so the deer don't come straight at me. Gives me a better shot chance.
Robertt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #13
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: my birthday suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURTONboy View Post
Everytime. Just put the corn in your shooting lane a get ready. Feeder weary deer will hit hand corn more and as a whole it can extend your hunt as there's more corn on the ground.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This ^^^

When rifle hunting, I make roads or lanes and corn them from the four wheeler. Every time I go to the stand site for any reason, I feed a little. After a couple years, even weary deer will just hop off the road and wait for you to leave.

For bowhunting, I corn specific shooting holes each time. The deer will walk straight to them before going to the feeder. The does are conditioned to run to the feeder when it feeds, leaving the bucks all the hand corn.

It is definitely a game changer.
Livin'2hunt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #14
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

Somebody has to say it. There is a secret to hand corning. Shhhhhh. Don't tell anybody. V A N I L L A
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #15
Space Ghost
Four Point

Great stuff.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #16
hogslayer78
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Augustine

I have one spot out of 4 with no feeder in a hard wood bottom. I hand corn this only and have more deer here than anywhere else on our property. I started putting out 50 lbs on the ground a couple weeks ago and will dump 50 lbs out every week or two until the season starts and then hand corn it when I hunt it. It don't take the pigs long to find it either. Just more targets lol.
Attached Images

hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #17
M.E.B.
Ten Point

You can hand throw corn in a spot with or without a feeder.

I like to hand throw corn at a feeder so that they hang around longer and give more shot opportunities.

Throw corn up under bushes, behind trees etc in such a manner that they will have to reposition and turn so you can get a shot.

If you throw corn in a pile they seem to get nervous and can also stand in one spot such as head on and never give you a good shot.
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 10:41 PM   #18
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

We feed our areas every time we are there
I feed upwind and my deer will all end up there and not spook.
I laugh at the one pound comment .
More like 25 spread thin for me.

BP
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #19
Hoss163
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Big hogs and coyotes eat it as well lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoss163 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #20
Redbeard31
Spike

Hunt In: Del Rio, The West, Canada, Africa

You can hand corn at the base of a bush or behind a rock so that the deer cannot see you draw your bow on them if they are eating.
Redbeard31 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 12:55 AM   #21
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: DeWitt County

Doesn't work. Don't do it.

You should join the 'gun hunters' forum and talk about shooting deer from 10k miles away.

Hand corn and pea gravel doesn't work. Boo
txtimetravler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 06:05 AM   #22
Live2Hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coalgate Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogslayer78 View Post
I have one spot out of 4 with no feeder in a hard wood bottom. I hand corn this only and have more deer here than anywhere else on our property. I started putting out 50 lbs on the ground a couple weeks ago and will dump 50 lbs out every week or two until the season starts and then hand corn it when I hunt it. It don't take the pigs long to find it either. Just more targets lol.
This is so true on our place as well. I would add using a rubber glove to fill a gallon zip lock bag. When I get to my stand I cut a hole in the bag and spread it around, not in a pile.

Hunting with my longbow I get much closer shots if I don't forget about scent control, even on the corn...
Live2Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 06:14 AM   #23
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Hunt View Post
This is so true on our place as well. I would add using a rubber glove to fill a gallon zip lock bag. When I get to my stand I cut a hole in the bag and spread it around, not in a pile.

Hunting with my longbow I get much closer shots if I don't forget about scent control, even on the corn...
This! I've found that if I handle the corn with my bare hands the deer will ignore the corn.
Phillip Fields is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #24
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

Actually, I would forget the corn and use deer pellets as there is a higher digestibility factor for the deer. And for you guys that use a half of a bag, you do realize that you are putting out enough for a couple of dozen deer.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 06:44 AM   #25
Ten Point

Hunt In: Williamson,Coryell, Bell

The key is to spread it out and not make piles of corn, the cows try to eat it but quickly lose interest if it is spread out, I have killed my largest bucks on hand thrown corn not at my feeders
10132297 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #26
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Hand corn works great. The problem I have had is I will hand corn my shooting lane right before getting in my blind or stand and I have had deer come to the corn but I guess they smell I was there and they back off and leave. And I wear rubber boots.
U.S.ArmyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #27
Hunt life
Six Point

Hunt In: Wilson / gonzales county

I read a thread last year on this topic my battery died on my feeder last year so I gave It a try had so many pictures of deer I have never ever seen around worked well for me
Hunt life is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #28
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

I've had luck killing doe this way but not good bucks. I've either been on leases with so many deer that any kernel of corn was consumed quickly or on places where even feeders were hit sporadically because the density was so low. If you have lots of deer hand corn works great. If not then chances are you may just watch a pile of corn most sits.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #29
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Hand corn is all I do. Corn my spots once a week, and I don't overhunt the same spot. Got have the run and gun mentality. Corn for the right wind and dump out about 50lbs 3 days before your planned hunt. Got to keep them guessing. That also means you have to have the gear to be mobile, or a bunch of spots setup.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #30
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
Does anyone "hand corn" when they go hunting? I might give it a try soon. If you do any tips would be great.
Okay, you posted this in the Traditional forum... which is fine... especially if you hunt with traditional gear.

I hand corn like a boss!

Especially now that I hunt with traditional gear. Most of the places I hunt have feeders setup for 20+ yard shots. In order to get them in close to 12 yards, I hand corn.

I carry a small drawstring bag with me and spread it out where I want them before climbing into the stand/blind.

I use a cup and don't touch it with my hands to put it in the bag... and I "throw" it out directly from the bag... again, not touching it.

All the deer I have killed have been on hand corn at a feeder... but with the hand corn closer to the blind and outside the feeder pen.

Good luck and welcome to TBH (oh and are you a traditional bow hunter?) If so, welcome to the trad forum too
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #31
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
Okay, you posted this in the Traditional forum... which is fine... especially if you hunt with traditional gear.

I hand corn like a boss!

Especially now that I hunt with traditional gear. Most of the places I hunt have feeders setup for 20+ yard shots. In order to get them in close to 12 yards, I hand corn.

I carry a small drawstring bag with me and spread it out where I want them before climbing into the stand/blind.

I use a cup and don't touch it with my hands to put it in the bag... and I "throw" it out directly from the bag... again, not touching it.

All the deer I have killed have been on hand corn at a feeder... but with the hand corn closer to the blind and outside the feeder pen.

Good luck and welcome to TBH (oh and are you a traditional bow hunter?) If so, welcome to the trad forum too
Yeah he's the Yankee from off east who recently introduced himself.

Last edited by DRT; 09-13-2017 at 12:42 PM..
Old 09-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #32
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
Actually, I would forget the corn and use deer pellets as there is a higher digestibility factor for the deer. And for you guys that use a half of a bag, you do realize that you are putting out enough for a couple of dozen deer.
I've got one spot I'm hand Corning. It takes 3 deer, yes only 3 deer to clean up 25# in 3-4 days
adam_p is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #33
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

That's all I do at my bow hunting spots. No feeders at all, just corn on the ground.
CRM_95 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #34
texashunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bell Co, San Saba Co

All the time
texashunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #35
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

And just to clarify...I've scattered it and dumped it in a pile in the past. Personally I like a big old pile of corn. Like a 200lb pile at 12-15 yards. They're not nearly as nervous as deer at a feeder. Only bad thing is the hogs will gang up on it too.
CRM_95 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #36
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Dickens

Yes but you need to start well before you start to hunt. I would say at least a week before if not longer. Be careful not to put more than they will clean up before dark when corning in the afternoon. I hate getting out of my stand with deer still crunching on corn. I would also starrt putting out a pile of rice bran if you have atv or vehicle access. I like to put 50# of bran and corn
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #37
44mAG
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bastrop/Atascosa/Kimble

I use a pillow case to carry the corn to the stand. Nice and silent.
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 04:23 PM   #38
conroekro88
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Gonzales County

I've always seen way more deer on hand corn than I've ever seen at a feeder. The first & biggest deer I've ever killed was on hand corn. First sit in the stand and didn't even have a feeder up.
conroekro88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #39
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
One other tip. When people say they "hand corn" it has more than just 1 meaning/method.

1) Dump a 50# bag or more in a pile in location that you think is a "good spot". You can hunt the spot within a day or so. You can put up a camera or something to see what comes by. Folks do this a lot to test a spot or a property for activity. You could keep refreshing the spot over and over and essentially keep the corn train going, but a lot of folks will just eventually put a feeder in that spot if it is good. But not always, everybody is different.

2) Dump a 50# bag under a feeder. The hail-mary of trying to keep critters at YOUR feeder and not somebody elses. You are trying to train them to change their pattern and come to yours.

3) Put a "small" amount... like a ziplock bag full +/- to put in a high traffic area like a trail or an existing feeder to get the deer to come to a certain spot in that area. If on a trail, it is a good way to get the deer to stop and stick around until you get a good shot.

I have used variations of all three of these.

When setting up a new spot "off feeder" I have dumped a bag of corn, setup a cam, and checked to see what was coming in. I then revisited and throw down a small amount before getting up into the stand.

Our rifle blinds at 100 yards from the feeder. However my son isn't a crack shot off of sticks past 70 yards... so I go out and throw corn halfway between the blind and the feeder at the beginning of the weekend. He has taken both of his deer off the hand corn at 50 yards.

Both my trad deer have been at a location where there wasn't a good place to put a bow blind close to the feeder (aka manmade, metal, automatic food plot) so I put it as close as I could and I throw down corn 12 yards from it... between it and the feeder pen. Often times the deer prefer to come to that corn than the feeder itself.

That was a really long winded explanation... but I find that when some folks say they "hand corn" it just means they don't use a feeder... whereas even if you use a feeder... hand corning specific spots is a really useful tactic that can drive up your chances on getting the deer close.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #40
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44mAG View Post
I use a pillow case to carry the corn to the stand. Nice and silent.
I like this idea!
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #41
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
I've had luck killing doe this way but not good bucks. I've either been on leases with so many deer that any kernel of corn was consumed quickly or on places where even feeders were hit sporadically because the density was so low. If you have lots of deer hand corn works great. If not then chances are you may just watch a pile of corn most sits.

Gotta hand corn in his bedroom, not just in the street he lives on
MASTERS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #42
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

Last season I got to hunt a place late and no feeders. Ended up being best place I have ever sat. Saw a few truly mature bucks and the does were not all jittery. We only threw out hand corn and like many above in lanes and lines not piles. The deer in a lot of East Texas are pushed hard and every available inch seems to have a feeder and boom stick waiting... YEAR ROUND.. <--Well maybe I am over exaggerating just a little but the point is we saw nice deer and more of them with frequent hand corn then anything with a feeder. Going that route this season again.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #43
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Been hand corning once a week for a month away from feeders. Will go again Friday and again Thursday and Friday next week. Hoping they are there for Saturday opener.
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #44
Space Ghost
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon View Post
Been hand corning once a week for a month away from feeders. Will go again Friday and again Thursday and Friday next week. Hoping they are there for Saturday opener.
Sounds like a fine plan!!!! Good luck aim small!!!
Old 09-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #45
Space Ghost
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
One other tip. When people say they "hand corn" it has more than just 1 meaning/method.

1) Dump a 50# bag or more in a pile in location that you think is a "good spot". You can hunt the spot within a day or so. You can put up a camera or something to see what comes by. Folks do this a lot to test a spot or a property for activity. You could keep refreshing the spot over and over and essentially keep the corn train going, but a lot of folks will just eventually put a feeder in that spot if it is good. But not always, everybody is different.

2) Dump a 50# bag under a feeder. The hail-mary of trying to keep critters at YOUR feeder and not somebody elses. You are trying to train them to change their pattern and come to yours.

3) Put a "small" amount... like a ziplock bag full +/- to put in a high traffic area like a trail or an existing feeder to get the deer to come to a certain spot in that area. If on a trail, it is a good way to get the deer to stop and stick around until you get a good shot.

I have used variations of all three of these.

When setting up a new spot "off feeder" I have dumped a bag of corn, setup a cam, and checked to see what was coming in. I then revisited and throw down a small amount before getting up into the stand.

Our rifle blinds at 100 yards from the feeder. However my son isn't a crack shot off of sticks past 70 yards... so I go out and throw corn halfway between the blind and the feeder at the beginning of the weekend. He has taken both of his deer off the hand corn at 50 yards.

Both my trad deer have been at a location where there wasn't a good place to put a bow blind close to the feeder (aka manmade, metal, automatic food plot) so I put it as close as I could and I throw down corn 12 yards from it... between it and the feeder pen. Often times the deer prefer to come to that corn than the feeder itself.

That was a really long winded explanation... but I find that when some folks say they "hand corn" it just means they don't use a feeder... whereas even if you use a feeder... hand corning specific spots is a really useful tactic that can drive up your chances on getting the deer close.
Good stuff !!!
Old 09-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #46
thebowhunters
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho Co.

I have drums at each stand with ziplock bags full and ready to go. Got tired of the last minute rush to get my bag ready and also the hassle of transporting bags of corn from camp to stand every day.
thebowhunters is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #47
Acameron52
Eight Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebowhunters View Post
I have drums at each stand with ziplock bags full and ready to go. Got tired of the last minute rush to get my bag ready and also the hassle of transporting bags of corn from camp to stand every day.
That's a great idea!

To the OP, I only Hand corn if I'm bow hunting usually. I'll put a big pile between me and the feeder in hopes of getting a perfect broadside easy shot, but it seldom works out that way. When I'm hunting with a rifle I corn the roads with a feeder. Gets the deer good and used to my fourwheeler so I don't have to stop a ways away and walk in.
Acameron52 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #48
DRT
Pope & Young

I use to keep a plastic bucket full at the stand and use a stadium cup. If not at feeder I use the feeder on my cart to broadcast it.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #49
Shiloh
Four Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt, TX

Deer like corn?
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #50
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: DeWitt County