Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #201
Jsmith_FO
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_w_7 View Post
I bumped this buck 2 weekends ago when I went to check the camera. Yall think the night buck is the same guy? I know the pics aren't blown up.

I ended up getting drawn for the Grapevine lottery, so I'll be spending most of my time there this season! I like the 20 minute commute versus 1 1/2 hours (so does the wife).
I'd say yes judging by the placement and the way his brow tines are angled.
Jsmith_FO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2017, 05:55 PM   #202
Brentwalkertx
Four Point

Hunt In: Lbj, caddo

Anyone going to be out for the dove opener? Want to camp out that weekend but have to work that saturday. But will be out that sunday.
Brentwalkertx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 11:35 PM   #203
Jessebeaux
Spike

What's the dove hunting rules and regs! Is it allowed on all unit's? I'm not a Dove hunter but I want to be mindful (and not get shot) while scouting for deer season.
Jessebeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 11:53 PM   #204
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessebeaux View Post
What's the dove hunting rules and regs! Is it allowed on all unit's? I'm not a Dove hunter but I want to be mindful (and not get shot) while scouting for deer season.
TPWD Regulations. So few dove that you would have to try to be shot.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2017, 10:56 PM   #205
Brentwalkertx
Four Point

Any dove report?
Old 09-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #206
jbowman612
Six Point

Hunt In: Aubrey, TX & Public Land in TX/NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwalkertx View Post
Any dove report?
No reports?
jbowman612 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #207
Froggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Any dove report?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowman612 View Post
No reports?
I drove around out there over the weekend.

I saw one high flying dove.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:09 PM   #208
Robert
Eight Point

There is more dove in my yard than anywhere on the grasslands and I don't have any.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #209
quickstrike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Missiouri, Colorado, Texas

There is dove around my feeder a month ago and now nothing.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2017, 11:58 PM   #210
troy_w_7
Six Point

Hunt In: North TX Public Land

I had a pretty cool card pull today. I believe I have a frontal view of the buck that was running away a few weeks ago. And a big 6 pointer started showing up on a few cameras.
Attached Images

troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #211
LiftAndShoot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kaufman County

Hey guys -

I got directed over this way from a thread I started about losing a family spot. I live in north arlington and have neeeeever hunted public land. But, seems to be that LBJ is the closest place to me, and the season is closing in fast. So, I need to get educated. If you were to explain to someone new to PL hunting...like, imagine a third grader...where would you say to start aggregating some practical knowledge?
LiftAndShoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #212
jbowman612
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
You can stop by the office and pick up a map and a list of regulations.

Caddo/LBJ National Grasslands
1400 N. Hwy 287
P.O. Box 507
Decatur, Texas 76234
(940) 627-5475

The TP&W Outdoor Annual list the hunting and fishing regulations for Wise County.

Here's a link to the NFGT Forest Supervisor's Orders and Prohibitions.

Scroll down to All Grasslands and click on each link below that title.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas...TELPRDB5292305

This one is important. No baiting and stands can only be in place for 72 hours.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5388601.pdf

Another link to shooting regulations. Shotgun and muzzleloaders only. No target shooting.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...prd3856143.pdf
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...slands_Map.gif
Old 09-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #213
LiftAndShoot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kaufman County

Thanks jbow. reading now.
LiftAndShoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 10:23 PM   #214
wildaggie
Six Point

Quote:
Anyone able to ID this fruit? Almost think it's a plum haha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Mexican plum
wildaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #215
jbowman612
Six Point

September is Public Lands Month
Old 09-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #216
jboogie
Nubbin' Buck

I thought those were persimmon
jboogie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #217
Brentwalkertx
Four Point

Anyone going out there this weekend? Taking the son and dad out sunday.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:09 PM   #218
cloud8a
Nubbin' Buck

Anyone ever had any creepy experiences or run into shady people out at LBJ? My dad used to take me out there when I was a kid in the late 1980's to dove and rabbit hunt from time to time. I Don't remember any negative experiences back then. Well I do remember one but not really negative. My dad and I were target shooting at an old dead tree that had already been shot to hell. A Federal Park Ranger or State Game Warden approached us, I cant remember which because I was a kid and it was 30 years ago. He told us even though that tree was already shot up it was still an offense to shoot at it. He was nice enough and just gave us that warning. Ever since though I have made a point to know and obey the rules.

About five years ago me and some buddies camped out over night near Black Creek lake. We went walking down the road late and a truck pulled up to us and stopped. It was a man and a woman and they seemed drunk. The man asked us if we were going to ride the giant oil derrick up the road. We said no not really sure what he meant. He told us that he just finished riding it like a mechanical bull. They peeled off yelling something. I didn't believe him. When we got to the derrick the thing bobbed up and down what looked to me at the time to be three or more stories. I'm sure this would be illegal not to mention serious injury or death if you fell off the thing drunk or not.

This past spring I took the wife out to hike and do a little rabbit hunting. We went to I think unit 71. If you go left and drive down a little ways there is a big hill there on the right with a flat top. We parked there and hiked out. While we were out a yellow helicopter started flying around and came in low and tilted to look at us. I had my shotgun with me and I kept thinking maybe it was a Game Warden checking me out to see if I was in compliance gun and hunter orange wise (I was in compliance). The yellow helicopter then landed on top of the hill that I parked near and stayed there until we got to our car and left. I got the impression they were watching us. we drove deeper into the unit and didn't see the helicopter for 30 or so minutes. When we came back up the road toward the hill again to leave the helicopter flew back in and landed on the hill again. As we drove by the pilot waved. I waved back and we kept on going. I thought maybe too they were just doing flight training. If they were LEO's and really wanted to check me out they would have had a patrol unit intercept us if it was that important. Anyway it kind of bothered me because the way they were flying low and checking us out they would have scared away anything i might have been hunting for.

When I go out this fall I'm mostly going to be alone because my friends live out of state and do not hunt anyway. Just wondering how common it may be to run into weird things out there.

Last edited by cloud8a; 09-13-2017 at 11:22 PM..
cloud8a is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #219
Froggy
Pope & Young

The helicopter pilots are practicing touch and go landings. They fly out of the airport in Decatur off FM 730. I'm out there a lot running my beagles and see them often.

A Darwin Award winner was killed back in the 90's "riding the bull".

I may have been the ranger that gave you a warning.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:46 AM   #220
cloud8a
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
The helicopter pilots are practicing touch and go landings. They fly out of the airport in Decatur off FM 730. I'm out there a lot running my beagles and see them often.

A Darwin Award winner was killed back in the 90's "riding the bull".

I may have been the ranger that gave you a warning.
Oh ok so riding the bull is a thing. Did people ever get arrested for that?

Wish I could remember if it was a ranger or a game warden. Kinda thinking if it was a warden he would have cited my dad anyway. Ill ask my dad if he remembers, he probably wont but it would be neat to know if it was you cause I remember the guy being really nice.
cloud8a is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #221
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Froggy is only nice if he don't know ya.

Hi Froggy!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2017, 12:14 AM   #222
Brentwalkertx
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud8a View Post
Anyone ever had any creepy experiences or run into shady people out at LBJ? My dad used to take me out there when I was a kid in the late 1980's to dove and rabbit hunt from time to time. I Don't remember any negative experiences back then. Well I do remember one but not really negative. My dad and I were target shooting at an old dead tree that had already been shot to hell. A Federal Park Ranger or State Game Warden approached us, I cant remember which because I was a kid and it was 30 years ago. He told us even though that tree was already shot up it was still an offense to shoot at it. He was nice enough and just gave us that warning. Ever since though I have made a point to know and obey the rules.

About five years ago me and some buddies camped out over night near Black Creek lake. We went walking down the road late and a truck pulled up to us and stopped. It was a man and a woman and they seemed drunk. The man asked us if we were going to ride the giant oil derrick up the road. We said no not really sure what he meant. He told us that he just finished riding it like a mechanical bull. They peeled off yelling something. I didn't believe him. When we got to the derrick the thing bobbed up and down what looked to me at the time to be three or more stories. I'm sure this would be illegal not to mention serious injury or death if you fell off the thing drunk or not.

This past spring I took the wife out to hike and do a little rabbit hunting. We went to I think unit 71. If you go left and drive down a little ways there is a big hill there on the right with a flat top. We parked there and hiked out. While we were out a yellow helicopter started flying around and came in low and tilted to look at us. I had my shotgun with me and I kept thinking maybe it was a Game Warden checking me out to see if I was in compliance gun and hunter orange wise (I was in compliance). The yellow helicopter then landed on top of the hill that I parked near and stayed there until we got to our car and left. I got the impression they were watching us. we drove deeper into the unit and didn't see the helicopter for 30 or so minutes. When we came back up the road toward the hill again to leave the helicopter flew back in and landed on the hill again. As we drove by the pilot waved. I waved back and we kept on going. I thought maybe too they were just doing flight training. If they were LEO's and really wanted to check me out they would have had a patrol unit intercept us if it was that important. Anyway it kind of bothered me because the way they were flying low and checking us out they would have scared away anything i might have been hunting for.

When I go out this fall I'm mostly going to be alone because my friends live out of state and do not hunt anyway. Just wondering how common it may be to run into weird things out there.

The only time was about 2 years ago. I pulled up to the unit early. At about 5:15 i was reading about a mountain lion sighting about a mile from where i was going to sit that morning. I though there full of chit. At 5:30 grabbed my bow and pop up out the back of the truck. Walk in about 150 yards and hear something running just to my left. I think nothingof it and keep going and then i hear it again. I freeze. All i had was the moonlight and my phone. I shine it in the directions and see nothing but the trees 10 foot in front of me. I got to my spot and kept hearing the sound and remember wondering what the heck is that. The walk out was ok though as i was dragging a doe behind me.
Thats rhe only story i got. Other than the time i was walking through the grasslands in the dark hunting hogs, and turned my light off and run into something amd unloaded my gun on it. Then turn the light on to find its an old car.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #223
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
The only time was about 2 years ago. I pulled up to the unit early. At about 5:15 i was reading about a mountain lion sighting about a mile from where i was going to sit that morning. I though there full of chit. At 5:30 grabbed my bow and pop up out the back of the truck. Walk in about 150 yards and hear something running just to my left. I think nothingof it and keep going and then i hear it again. I freeze. All i had was the moonlight and my phone. I shine it in the directions and see nothing but the trees 10 foot in front of me. I got to my spot and kept hearing the sound and remember wondering what the heck is that. The walk out was ok though as i was dragging a doe behind me.
Thats rhe only story i got. Other than the time i was walking through the grasslands in the dark hunting hogs, and turned my light off and run into something amd unloaded my gun on it. Then turn the light on to find its an old car.
I remember a time I was deer hunting one October. Went in before daylight. Was wondering why I didn't see any deer when I got down for lunch. I was 50 yards inside a tree-line. When I broke the tree line walking back, and down the trail 10 yards, was a feller stone cold drunk and pasted out. Never saw him going in. And I was 1.1 miles from the parking area. I woke him up. And got some small talk out of him. He said he was waiting for the sun to come up so he could watch for deer . Saw him a few more times after that out there hunting. But he had an air about him that I didn't trust. So I never hung out with him even though he seemed like a nice guy in passing. He and his brothers got busted for meth production, and a ton of other violations, a few years later. There were several law enforcement agencies involved with that bust, including TP&W, and USFS Decatur National Grasslands Division.

Anyway, the point of this story is, I'm glad it wasn't a drunk passed out that you went to shooting at before you identified your target.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2017, 05:44 PM   #224
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

The car was dead, Brent, why did you unload on the car?

TG- glad you made it out safely.
Razorback01 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #225
Brentwalkertx
Four Point

Ran out today to check a camera i had out for a while. Was only away from the truck for about 45 minutes. Came back to the truck and went to get a water out of the back of the truck and my cooler was gone. Wasnt an expensive one, but still it was frustrating.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:51 PM   #226
Froggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
I remember a time I was deer hunting one October. Went in before daylight. Was wondering why I didn't see any deer when I got down for lunch. I was 50 yards inside a tree-line. When I broke the tree line walking back, and down the trail 10 yards, was a feller stone cold drunk and pasted out. Never saw him going in. And I was 1.1 miles from the parking area. I woke him up. And got some small talk out of him. He said he was waiting for the sun to come up so he could watch for deer . Saw him a few more times after that out there hunting. But he had an air about him that I didn't trust. So I never hung out with him even though he seemed like a nice guy in passing. He and his brothers got busted for meth production, and a ton of other violations, a few years later. There were several law enforcement agencies involved with that bust, including TP&W, and USFS Decatur National Grasslands Division.

Anyway, the point of this story is, I'm glad it wasn't a drunk passed out that you went to shooting at before you identified your target.
I'd bet his name started with an M. One of them boys was busted for killing an elk in Yellowstone NP.

And never, ever leave anything in the back of your truck.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:18 PM   #227
Jessebeaux
Spike

Anyone ever find any arrowheads on LBJ? may try to look for some during off season. Also, want to know how much i need to prioritize keeping my eyes peeled when walking into hunting locations...
Old 09-18-2017, 08:01 PM   #228
Larry
Ten Point

Default LBJ Grassland 2017

Quote:

Please tell me you're joking. I think hog hunting at night on the grasslands is illegal, and unloading a gun on an unidentified object in the dark is pretty irresponsible.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #229
Froggy
Pope & Young

I recently found some old 3 1/2" floppy disk and picked up a floppy disk reader at a garage sale for $1.00.

I came across a couple of pics y'all might like. These were from my years working out there.

A hunter scored on this buck in 2001 north of Cottonwood Lake.

Name:  LBJ 2001 Buck.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  LBJ Turkeys _2002.JPG
Views: 391
Size:  120.9 KB
Old 09-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #230
Froggy
Pope & Young

Here's one of the reasons they have a regulation restricting off road vehicle use. This poor fellow had to pay for fire suppression cost. I guarantee you it wasn't cheap.

Name:  LBJ truck fire.JPG
Views: 387
Size:  35.0 KB
Old 09-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #231
Brentwalkertx
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Please tell me you're joking. I think hog hunting at night on the grasslands is illegal, and unloading a gun on an unidentified object in the dark is pretty irresponsible.

It was very irresponsible. I agree. I had just turned 18. Had never been to public land. First year ever. I had hunted before. But it was always on private land. And sitting at a feeder. I had gotten turned around and started to panic. Phone battery was getting low and didnt want to waste it. When i ran into the car it scared the tar out of me. I should have looked at what it was before i shot but didnt. Looking back now i feel like a dumbarse.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #232
Larry
Ten Point

Quote:
It was very irresponsible. I agree. I had just turned 18. Had never been to public land. First year ever. I had hunted before. But it was always on private land. And sitting at a feeder. I had gotten turned around and started to panic. Phone battery was getting low and didnt want to waste it. When i ran into the car it scared the tar out of me. I should have looked at what it was before i shot but didnt. Looking back now i feel like a dumbarse.

My freakiest public hunting experience was walking up on an truck in an area where no vehicles are allowed. When we got closer, there was a foot propped up on the window. There was a dude sleeping in there! We had no idea how he got there, and I doubt he did either. Truck was gone when we were done with the morning sit.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 09:57 PM   #233
XBOW STALKER
Four Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

So ya wanna go pig huntin tonight!
XBOW STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2017, 10:05 PM   #234
Jessebeaux
Spike

Anyone know what these are? Deer eat them?
Old 09-23-2017, 10:08 PM   #235
Jessebeaux
Spike

[IMG]Pic https://imgur.com/gallery/SK389[/IMG]
Old 09-23-2017, 10:09 PM   #236
Jessebeaux
Spike

Old 09-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #237
jbowman612
Six Point

Quote:
No images
Old 09-25-2017, 12:17 AM   #238
Jessebeaux
Spike

Not sure why images aren't showing up...
Old 09-27-2017, 08:01 AM   #239
troy_w_7
Six Point

Who's going out this weekend?
Old 09-27-2017, 05:58 PM   #240
XBOW STALKER
Four Point

I may give it a go...
Am I seeing that does are only to be takin thanksgiving only this year?
Old 09-27-2017, 06:15 PM   #241
quickstrike
Ten Point

I will be headed back to pat mayse for opening day chaseing a big 10pt.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #242
XBOW STALKER
Four Point

Best of luck.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #243
quickstrike
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBOW STALKER View Post
Best of luck.
thank you sir

Old 09-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #244
JB3
Nubbin' Buck

I might give it a go this weekend. Undecided. Wish the temps were more favorable.
JB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #245
quickstrike
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
I might give it a go this weekend. Undecided. Wish the temps were more favorable.
good luck to the rest of yall as well.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #246
JB3
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBOW STALKER View Post
I may give it a go...
Am I seeing that does are only to be takin thanksgiving only this year?
Yep. That's what the Outdoor Annual is sayin.
Last time I checked (about a month ago), I swore, antlerless was legal during archery season. But not now; not on USFS land. I'm glad you mentioned it.
JB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #247
jbowman612
Six Point

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/...k0700_0284.pdf

WISE (DECATUR)
Special Antler Restrictions: see pg. 60.
WT DEER—Archery Season: Sept. 30-Nov. 3; General
Season: Nov. 4-Jan. 7; Special Late Season: Jan. 8-21.
Bag limit: 4 (2 bucks and 2 antlerless, all seasons
combined). On USFS land, antlerless may be taken without a permit,
but only during archery and youth-only seasons and from Nov. 23-26.
The USFS no longer issues permits.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:26 PM   #248
quickstrike
Ten Point

so we can take does.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #249
XBOW STALKER
Four Point

I was looking online earlier when I mentioned that. I went and found my hard copy that I got when I replaced my expired license. The hard copy will go in my backpack. It says during archery as well as over Thanksgiving...
Old 09-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #250
troy_w_7
Six Point

Yep, does during archery season and then again the week of Thanksgiving.