Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point
 
Hawkpuppy 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kerrville
Hunt In: Texas
Default Amistad?

Not asking for spots or setups, just wondering if it's worth going out there. I have a boat if that helps. According to the website, I get the rules and such, but is there that many animals out there or are they way few and far between? Any pics of success out there?
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
SouthTX1911
Ten Point
 
SouthTX1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: Montgomery County, Arkansas, Anywhere invited
Default

Plenty of deer and mouflon. You just have to be smart. Also lots of hunters. If I was to go this year, I would sneak to the very back of 5 on the boundary WAY before daylight and see what comes sneaking over the boundary onto private land. The next thing I would do is get your boat out on the lake and glass the lake side rocks and make a move from there. Other than that find a well used trail and sit as long as you can stand it. Good luck!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SouthTX1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2016, 01:49 PM   #3
Briar Friar
Ten Point
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds
Default

Mouflon are like roaches. Pressure them and they squirt out...keep your arrow knocked and at the ready...there is a good chance the sheep will be between you and the truck. Boat need will vary depending on hunt unit. Get your boots strapped on good. It is all canyon land. Most everything vegetative will stab you. The wind blows most all the time. Stalk slowly to the leeward side of the canyon...the mouflon will be there.

Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-04-2016 at 01:53 PM..
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
Fashinghunts
Four Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Default

I haven't been out there since 2003. I hear that there are lots of hunters. I would go all the way back into section 1 where the old cattle pens are and set up near the water. We always killed decent bucks back there.
Fashinghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2016, 02:00 PM   #5
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
Not asking for spots or setups, just wondering if it's worth going out there. I have a boat if that helps. According to the website, I get the rules and such, but is there that many animals out there or are they way few and far between? Any pics of success out there?
There are plenty of opportunities without a boat but a boat gains you a shot at aoudads in area 4 which is boat accesable only. There seem to be more and more hunters every year. Best advise I can give is show up during the week and there will be less hunters out there. It's been really green this year so I suspect there will be some nice bucks out there as well.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #6
SouthTX1911
Ten Point
 
SouthTX1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: Montgomery County, Arkansas, Anywhere invited
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
There are plenty of opportunities without a boat but a boat gains you a shot at aoudads in area 4 which is boat accesable only. There seem to be more and more hunters every year. Best advise I can give is show up during the week and there will be less hunters out there. It's been really green this year so I suspect there will be some nice bucks out there as well.

By far better to go during the week if possible.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SouthTX1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #7
justletmein
Ten Point
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Definitely go during the week, had several hunts ruined last year due to hunters roaming around aimlessly in area 4. Some guys in Doe season were trying to drive Aoudad like moufloun, ran all the deer to the next county.

I like to bring the boat and hit the back sides of 5 and sneak in, then let the hunters run everything to me as they walk in.

It's gonna be hard this year with all the rain, deer will be less predictable and more scattered. 2 years ago was easy pickings.

To answer your question OP, there are plenty of deer but they are not easy to get shots on.

I'll have a couple of weeks in November and early December I'll be doing middle of the week trips alone with the boat if anyone wants to come along.

Last edited by justletmein; 10-04-2016 at 04:41 PM..
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2016, 05:14 PM   #8
Txfire409
Ten Point
 
Txfire409's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Labelle, Tx.
Hunt In: Hardin County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
I'll have a couple of weeks in November and early December I'll be doing middle of the week trips alone with the boat if anyone wants to come along.
Im interested.
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #9
Sideler
Ten Point
 
Sideler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Default

I might be interested also.
Sideler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2016, 05:20 PM   #10
justletmein
Ten Point
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Looking at Nov 8-11 and crap I just realized the other week is Thanksgiving week, trust me you do not want to be down there during Thanksgiving week. I typically camp at San Pedro campgrounds.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2016, 10:06 PM   #11
VictorG830
Six Point
 
VictorG830's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Del Rio Tx.
Hunt In: RJ Ranch
Default

Lots of walking LOTS OF WALKING to get to a good spot and have a few opportunities way befor sunrise before anybody shows up.! I've had success the hard part is getting out with your harvested animal bow and pack..!!! Let me know I'm always down for a challange.!!
VictorG830 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2016, 06:42 AM   #12
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point
 
Hawkpuppy 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kerrville
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Thanks for the info guys. May have to head out that way and take a look....
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2016, 07:37 AM   #13
Tmill
Four Point
 
Tmill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Del Rio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorG830 View Post
Lots of walking LOTS OF WALKING to get to a good spot and have a few opportunities way befor sunrise before anybody shows up.! I've had success the hard part is getting out with your harvested animal bow and pack..!!! Let me know I'm always down for a challange.!!


This is true I logged 7 miles of walking last time I was out there. Two shuttle runs to get the mouflon out and my bow out. Not to mention hiking in and around to find them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tmill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #14
VictorG830
Six Point
 
VictorG830's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Del Rio Tx.
Hunt In: RJ Ranch
Default

We went out for a quick opening day Dove hunt to check it out, it is so over grown with vegetation even the well walked trails were over grown didn't see any deer or anything in the areas we went too and we went to the backs of both .! ! Also don't forget your water packs you will need it...!! sit still let them come to u don't wander around looking for them cause chances are they will find/spot u first and be gone with the wind...!!!!

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
VictorG830 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #15
hammyhamilton
Nubbin' Buck
 
hammyhamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: McAllen ,TX
Default

Been hunting area 4 and 5 and no signs of mouflon and aoudad... Hunted area 5 before, and it was full of mouflon, don't know where they all went... Area 4 had no sign of aoudad either...
hammyhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2016, 07:23 PM   #16
justletmein
Ten Point
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammyhamilton View Post
Been hunting area 4 and 5 and no signs of mouflon and aoudad... Hunted area 5 before, and it was full of mouflon, don't know where they all went... Area 4 had no sign of aoudad either...
Deer staying up top on the bluffs I assume?

Still too hot for me. Last time I went in October I hiked to my hunting spot and sat with no shirt on for 2 hours until the sun started getting low. I'm hairy, but not that great for camo lol.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #17
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammyhamilton View Post
Been hunting area 4 and 5 and no signs of mouflon and aoudad... Hunted area 5 before, and it was full of mouflon, don't know where they all went... Area 4 had no sign of aoudad either...
Lots of browse in the San Pedro flats area so the mouflon are probably getting fat over there...

Last edited by Pedernal; 10-09-2016 at 07:34 PM..
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2016, 07:29 PM   #18
Deers & Beers
Ten Point
 
Deers & Beers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Wherever I Can
Default

There really are hardly any aoudad out there at all. I've heard of 2 being taken in the past 7-8 years.

Mouflon are usually AWOL after opening week then slowly return as the crowds thin..
Deers & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #19
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Deer staying up top on the bluffs I assume?

Still too hot for me. Last time I went in October I hiked to my hunting spot and sat with no shirt on for 2 hours until the sun started getting low. I'm hairy, but not that great for camo lol.
Have not gone in to scout but scoped from the highway; lots of does on the south fence line area 5... Bugs are killer with all the grass out there. Not to mention ticks crawling around every where...

Did you find the tin you were looking for? I know your asking on a different thread but I would be interested in trading some hard labor for a fishing trip. Let me know.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #20
justletmein
Ten Point
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deers & Beers View Post
There really are hardly any aoudad out there at all. I've heard of 2 being taken in the past 7-8 years.

Mouflon are usually AWOL after opening week then slowly return as the crowds thin..

I've killed 2 in the last 4 years, and that should be 4 if I wasn't an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Have not gone in to scout but scoped from the highway; lots of does on the south fence line area 5... Bugs are killer with all the grass out there. Not to mention ticks crawling around every where...

Did you find the tin you were looking for? I know your asking on a different thread but I would be interested in trading some hard labor for a fishing trip. Let me know.
Gross, man I'm seriously not a fan of ticks AT ALL. That's another reason why I wait til later in the season. Bugs and snakes lol.

No I haven't found any tin sources so I may just have to buy new. There's one up North that I might be able to scavenge on a trip to Dallas but that won't be for a few weeks. You're welcome to come down any time, we just might do more fishing and hunting than working LOL. It's dove season down there and the island is literally covered in sunflowers, saw a few birds last trip but not a lot flying because anywhere they drop they're in sunflowers and there are no hunters kicking them up. Duck season starts in November. I'm ordering some lights to setup at night on the jetty but probably don't need them. Last trip the Reds and Black Drum were swarming on the surf side of the POC big jetty so we just walked a little out and caught them on paddle tails, have to weed through huge skipjack on every cast to get them but they were under the school of skippies.

Oh yeah and these guys:


Last edited by justletmein; 10-09-2016 at 08:12 PM..
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #21
Efren
Ten Point
 
Efren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Anywhere I can
Default

I'm interested in venturing out to Amistad. Anyone wanna join?
Efren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #22
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

When are you going out??

Lots of hunters out today. Hope I did not screw anyone's hunt. I waited till 10 before I went in to for one last look.

Last edited by Pedernal; 10-22-2016 at 01:34 PM..
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #23
Efren
Ten Point
 
Efren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Anywhere I can
Default

I just made a new post, check it out. Going to go out nov 6-9
Efren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #24
justletmein
Ten Point
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
When are you going out??

Lots of hunters out today. Hope I did not screw anyone's hunt. I waited till 10 before I went in to for one last look.
Any luck with that or at least evidence of where she might havie gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efren View Post
I just made a new post, check it out. Going to go out nov 6-9
I'll be there for a 4-5 day stretch between the 7th and 13th.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2016, 04:09 PM   #25
justletmein
Ten Point
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Got back last night, nothing hit the ground but found some interesting new areas I want to explore. Had a run in with some "hunters" who walked right by my boat and within 100 yards of me yelling back and forth across the canyons to eachother trying to "stalk" some Aoudad. I'm heading back down end of this week and then the week after Thanksgiving if anybody wants to come by camp and shoot the breeze.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #26
yanta61
Ten Point
 
yanta61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beeville
Hunt In: Bee & Karnes county
Default

I want to go but probably wont have time this year. Might try for a trip right before buck season ends. I wouldn't mind going during the exotic only but my buddy doesn't want to go..
yanta61 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2016, 09:17 PM   #27
Hondo Bob
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dunlay
Hunt In: All over
Default

I shot a a decent aoudad in 4 last year. Shot over him cause I walked right up on him and he pinned me down in the sage. No rangefinder in my hand, got a holster for it now. The hunting is better for me when there's lots of people pushing the animals around. I hunt spots and tend to stay put so it works for me. Some of the best hunts I've had there are with a group of 6-8 hard core guys. Something always gets put down. Drives work too but you have to be respectful of other guys. It definitely helps to have a sense of humor cause the majority of people I've seen out there never even knew I was there and it can get you mad if you let it. I think the best time to go is when you can!
Hondo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2016, 10:37 PM   #28
Efren
Ten Point
 
Efren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Anywhere I can
Default

I'm still interested if anyone wants to go. Hit me up
Efren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2016, 10:42 PM   #29
Efren
Ten Point
 
Efren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Anywhere I can
Default

Let me know when you're going. I'm interested as well
Efren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2016, 01:27 AM   #30
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Got back last night, nothing hit the ground but found some interesting new areas I want to explore. Had a run in with some "hunters" who walked right by my boat and within 100 yards of me yelling back and forth across the canyons to eachother trying to "stalk" some Aoudad. I'm heading back down end of this week and then the week after Thanksgiving if anybody wants to come by camp and shoot the breeze.
how much deer movement did you see?? Any luck out there besides deer driving "hunters"??

There are some young bucks that almost seem to want to start chasing does around. Have seen lots of scrape activity. Going to try some mock scrapes and see what happens. I spotted a nice 8 two days ago that appeared to be "cruising" mid day.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2016, 02:12 AM   #31
justletmein
Ten Point
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efren View Post
Let me know when you're going. I'm interested as well
PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
how much deer movement did you see?? Any luck out there besides deer driving "hunters"??

There are some young bucks that almost seem to want to start chasing does around. Have seen lots of scrape activity. Going to try some mock scrapes and see what happens. I spotted a nice 8 two days ago that appeared to be "cruising" mid day.
Saw zero deer, and two Aoudad. I had my 12 year old son with me so we did not hunt the mornings and I think with that super moon they just were not moving in the evenings. My boy wanted to fish way too much so we weren't walking in to hunt until around 3pm. I think if we hunted the mornings and mid-day we would have done much better. We did run off a buck on Saturday afternoon getting to our spot, and again on Sunday afternoon which was within 20 yards of us. Also had something walk up on us Saturday evening but vegetation is so dense we couldn't see squat. I'm trying to learn Area 2 so when I go down by myself this weekend I'll be spending a lot of time in there.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2016, 02:45 AM   #32
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
PM sent



Saw zero deer, and two Aoudad. I had my 12 year old son with me so we did not hunt the mornings and I think with that super moon they just were not moving in the evenings. My boy wanted to fish way too much so we weren't walking in to hunt until around 3pm. I think if we hunted the mornings and mid-day we would have done much better. We did run off a buck on Saturday afternoon getting to our spot, and again on Sunday afternoon which was within 20 yards of us. Also had something walk up on us Saturday evening but vegetation is so dense we couldn't see squat. I'm trying to learn Area 2 so when I go down by myself this weekend I'll be spending a lot of time in there.
Cool... Did you guys get into any strippers?? I hear they are schooling near the 277 bridges in the evenings. Might yak out there and try to get into them if the wind is slack later today or tomorrow.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2016, 05:44 AM   #33
dc1986
Pope & Young
 
dc1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lumberton,Texas
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Cool... Did you guys get into any strippers?? I hear they are schooling near the 277 bridges in the evenings. Might yak out there and try to get into them if the wind is slack later today or tomorrow.
If there are a bunch of strippers hanging out there then I might be interested as well.
dc1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2016, 07:24 AM   #34
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1986 View Post
If there are a bunch of strippers hanging out there then I might be interested as well.
I meant striped bass but you can see where my mind was last night
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #35
justletmein
Ten Point
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Cool... Did you guys get into any strippers?? I hear they are schooling near the 277 bridges in the evenings. Might yak out there and try to get into them if the wind is slack later today or tomorrow.
No we were mostly out over by the 90 bridge area then back in the coves near Spur 406 camp and outside Area 2. Caught a lot of small bass. I'd *love* to learn to find the Stripers out there though. I'm heading down tomorrow and I'll have the boat, if you wanna go chase them let me know. I'll probably be rolling in kinda late so most likely setup camp and out to hunt but I'll be alone til Friday so after the morning hunt and midday I may go run over there either way. People looking for birds in the Fall or pitching or trolling crankbaits or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1986 View Post
If there are a bunch of strippers hanging out there then I might be interested as well.
They hitting on the greenbacks? I better stock up on those just in case I find a good school running around.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #36
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

^^^^
Most of the time when the wind is slack (not often on Amistad) you can find them under birds. Usually any flats with vegetation close to deep water seem to be the best spots. Right now from what I understand they are schooling by the 277 bridges(highway bridge and the old flooded out bridge). Not really sure for the reason but it maybe there is a lot of bait in those areas due to all of the recently flooded vegetation. I will be working evening shift Friday or I would join you.

As for baits, rattle traps and spoons should be good. My go to bait for schooling fish are the Rapala X-rap. I like the glass ghost color in the four inch model but matching your lure to the bait the fish are hitting is obviously best. Only down fall to the xrap is that it will only go so deep. There are some similar model of lures that dive deeper but I have no experience with them. Additionally, it's been my experience that smaller fish will take the bait shallower so you will have more bites but smaller fish. Any similar type slash bait should work well.

I might be out hunting area 1 Thursday afternoon. Where are you going to set up camp??
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #37
justletmein
Ten Point
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Thanks for the heads up I'll put that info to good use.

I usually camp over at Spur 406 but I had a little issue with some late night footsteps around my tent last time, no mistaking footsteps of a two-legged critter. That and it's pretty far from where I launch so I'm thinking I'll just hit San Pedro this time. Look for the blue Ram and the Boatright attached. I'm planning to launch and hit the back of Area 2 on Thursday if you'd rather do that you're welcome aboard.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #38
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Thanks for the heads up I'll put that info to good use.

I usually camp over at Spur 406 but I had a little issue with some late night footsteps around my tent last time, no mistaking footsteps of a two-legged critter. That and it's pretty far from where I launch so I'm thinking I'll just hit San Pedro this time. Look for the blue Ram and the Boatright attached. I'm planning to launch and hit the back of Area 2 on Thursday if you'd rather do that you're welcome aboard.
I appreciate the offer but I am going in early to work on a ground blind and to make a mock scrape. I will swing by San Pedro afterwards. I got a lure you and your son can try on the stripers. Good luck on the afternoon hunt.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2016, 05:33 AM   #39
justletmein
Ten Point
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
I appreciate the offer but I am going in early to work on a ground blind and to make a mock scrape. I will swing by San Pedro afterwards. I got a lure you and your son can try on the stripers. Good luck on the afternoon hunt.
Tried to send you a PM but your box is full.
Gonna be camping at Spur 406 with a few friends Tuesday through probably Sat/Sun or so. Figured I'd drop you a line and see how things have been. We'll most likely be hitting Area 2 a lot I think.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #40
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young
 
bowhuntertex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wimberley
Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......
Default

I have been wanting to hunt out here for many years. I plan on setting up one or two weekday hunts for next year. Ya'll have some good info. Tagged to continue to follow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #41
justletmein
Ten Point
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Anybody going December 20-23?
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #42
rola0414
Nubbin' Buck
 
rola0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Default

@ justletmein: I'm really interesting in going! I'm from Eagle Pass and have been wanting to go for a while. I know the rut is on this part of Texas..
rola0414 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #43
justletmein
Ten Point
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rola0414 View Post
@ justletmein: I'm really interesting in going! I'm from Eagle Pass and have been wanting to go for a while. I know the rut is on this part of Texas..
PM sent
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2016, 07:24 PM   #44
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young
 
Bowhuntamistad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Del Rio, Tx / Las Vegas, Nv :)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Anybody going December 20-23?
I will be.
Bowhuntamistad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #45
VictorG830
Six Point
 
VictorG830's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Del Rio Tx.
Hunt In: RJ Ranch
Default

I will be.......... stuck at work .! Yall Should do a live hunt .!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk
VictorG830 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #46
boweye
Six Point
 
boweye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default

Found corn on the ground in area 5. I don't know why it ****** me off so much!
boweye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #47
justletmein
Ten Point
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boweye View Post
Found corn on the ground in area 5. I don't know why it ****** me off so much!
Report it, if someone is corning it they're probably coming back and should be an easy catch.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2016, 03:27 PM   #48
boweye
Six Point
 
boweye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default

I reported it.
boweye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #49
justletmein
Ten Point
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boweye View Post
I reported it.
Good, anything anyone kills over corn at Amistad is worthless and negates any achievement they might have had. I don't care if it's a big 10 someone kills out there, you kill it over corn it may as well be a button buck and you're no hunter. You wanna go stare at a feeder then get a lease, Amistad is for hunters who want the challenge and reward of a true natural hunt.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #50
boweye
Six Point
 
boweye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default

Amen, I'm with you brother!
boweye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com