Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 10-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas/Marshall
Default Trump vs Carson: Gun Control

After this Oregon incident I wondered where the Top 2 pollers stood on the issue of Gun Control. I think all current candidates need to give their updated 2015 version of their view(s) on the issue because they've all had evolving stances on the majority of issues.

Carson:
http://www.ontheissues.org/2016/Ben_...un_Control.htm

Appearing on Glenn Beck's radio show this past week, Carson took a vastly different stance from most conservatives on the issue of gun control, claiming you shouldn't be able to own semi-automatic weapons in large cities.

Asked by Beck for his thoughts on the Second Amendment, Carson gave the popular pro-gun argument: "There's a reason for the Second Amendment; people do have the right to have weapons."

But when asked whether people should be allowed to own "semi-automatic weapons," the doctor replied: "It depends on where you live. I think if you live in the midst of a lot of people, and I'm afraid that that semi-automatic weapon is going to fall into the hands of a crazy person, I would rather you not have it," Carson elaborated. However, if you live "out in the country somewhere by yourself" and want to own a semi-automatic weapon, he added, "I've no problem with that."
Source: Andrew Kirell on mediaite.com , Mar 3, 2013

Trump:
http://www.ontheissues.org/2012/Dona...un_Control.htm

At the Conservative Political Action Conference, Trump took issue with Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, the libertarian-thinking lawmaker who set some Internet fundraising records with his 2008 presidential bid. "Ron Paul cannot get elected, I'm sorry," Trump said, calling him "a good guy" who has "zero chance" of getting elected. The remark about Paul prompted some boos and screams from some in the audience, some of them Paul supporters out in force to help their candidate win CPAC's presidential straw poll for the second year in a row.

In his CPAC speech, Trump sounded many themes popular with Republican conservatives. "I am pro-life," he said. "I am against gun control."

And in one of his biggest applause lines, Trump vowed to end the nation's health care law: "I will fight to end Obamacare and replace it with something that makes sense for people in business and not bankrupt the country." Trump also pledged not to raise taxes if elected.
Source: USA Today report on 2011 Conservative Political Action Conf. , Feb 10, 2011
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #2
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

Don't like Carson's response whatsoever. However, Trump sure has a way of taking a simple question and giving a completely muddied answer.

This is why I will vote for Ted Cruz. Write in or ballot.
popup_menace is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #3
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by popup_menace View Post
Don't like Carson's response whatsoever. However, Trump sure has a way of taking a simple question and giving a completely muddied answer.
I don't like it either. But it was in 2013 so I'll give everyone a chance to reevaluate their stance and make a 2015/2016 version of their feelings.

Trump wanted a ban on AR and extended waiting period on buying a gun in 2000. I wonder how he feels about that today?

***For assault weapon ban, waiting period, & background check***
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.
Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
Old 10-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan View Post
I don't like it either. But it was in 2013 so I'll give everyone a chance to reevaluate their stance and make a 2015/2016 version of their feelings.

Trump wanted a ban on AR and extended waiting period on buying a gun in 2000. I wonder how he feels about that today?

***For assault weapon ban, waiting period, & background check***
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.
Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
This is why I will never vote for trump. The man is simply playing the game to garner votes, no different than the scammer in chief we have now. Trump does a great job at blurting out talking points that get people riled up and patriotic, but his substance is lacking when it comes to a track record of conservatism.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #5
Stud Duck
Four Point

Hunt In: Durango and Ellis County, Texas

I heard Carson speak on gun control just a few months ago. He was very much in favor of supporting our 2nd amendment rights, and was adamantly against any type of ban. He said the issue is not with the weapon it's with the mindset of the criminals intent on doing harm. That's the area we need to address, not banning guns from people that have the right to protect themselves.
Stud Duck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #6
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Carson literally TODAY, not what is posted above by the OP! I am paraphrasing his words: Totally against additional gun control laws based on nitwits acting out. Mental health is a major concern and everytime an incident occurs certain politicians attempt to push their agenda based on emotion. Sad he most likely wont be in the running to get the nomination but at least we can be clear on where everyone stands for giggles & grins!

Last edited by Landrover; 10-02-2015 at 09:43 AM..
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #7
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Carson literally TODAY, not what is posted above by the OP! I am paraphrasing his words: Totally against additional gun control laws based on nitwits acting out. Mental health is a major concern and everytime an incident occurs certain politicians attempt to push their agenda based on emotion. Sad he most likely wont be in the running to get the nomination but at least we can be clear on where everyone stands for giggles & grins!
mental health is the issue.

I heard an analogy on talk radio several years ago that stuck with me. When people see someone having a heart attack, they rush to help. When they see someone having a nervous breakdown, or psychotic episode, they typically distance themselves as quick as possible.

I think the surge in these shootings can be tied to a surge in meds that are being handed out like pez candy to our kids. What happens when those kids go off to college, or adulthood, and simply stop taking them because their parents aren't right there reminding them to take their pills every day?
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #8
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

Quote:

This is why I will vote for Ted Cruz. Write in or ballot.
That will be a vote for Killary then. A divided ballot only ensures a democrat win. I will vote for the republican nominee.
Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #9
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead, TX

Quote:
I sure hope he is the GOP nom. He has my vote right now!

Dr Carson in 2016!!!!!!!!!
TXHUNT3R is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #10
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedgoat View Post
That will be a vote for Killary then. A divided ballot only ensures a democrat win. I will vote for the republican nominee.
yep
TXHUNT3R is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #11
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes, La Salle, and Sutton Counties

Quote:
Couldn't agree more
Saltyag15 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #12
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Quote:
This is what irks me about politics. It has become such a gaggle of the same idiots that you always have to choose between the lesser of two evils vs the actual best candidate. This is the exact thing the federalist papers were written about. You're probably right about any vote going against the republican nominee giving the vote to killary. I will cross that bridge when I get there. Up until that point I pray that Cruz/Carson makes headway. I will have an extremely hard time sleeping at night if I have to vote for trump.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #13
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

Quote:
This is what irks me about politics. It has become such a gaggle of the same idiots that you always have to choose between the lesser of two evils vs the actual best candidate. This is the exact thing the federalist papers were written about. You're probably right about any vote going against the republican nominee giving the vote to killary. I will cross that bridge when I get there. Up until that point I pray that Cruz/Carson makes headway. I will have an extremely hard time sleeping at night if I have to vote for trump.
Good luck tomorrow!
Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #14
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Quote:
Good luck tomorrow!
Thanks! I do realize that my previous post was rather stupid, but I do like Cruz over any other candidate. We will play it out and pray he makes the nomination.

Too bad I won't be in a stand tomorrow....
Old 10-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #15
91cavgt
Ten Point

Quote:
you are not alone. This country has already gone off the cliff and only a true conservative can save it.
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #16
Chuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Falfurrias

Quote:
This is why I will never vote for trump. The man is simply playing the game to garner votes, no different than the scammer in chief we have now. Trump does a great job at blurting out talking points that get people riled up and patriotic, but his substance is lacking when it comes to a track record of conservatism.
Times a billion
This guy isn't a candidate, he's an immature puppet. Hes quite frankly the last person id want talking to china, russia, iran, un, etc. He cant even have a debate without acting like a kindergarten kid. All he has is that hes a businessman, thats it. He doesnt even answer direct questions and doesnt have a real plan for this country. Not to mention his conflict of interest in his conpanies. You think we are a global laughing atock now, imaginebwith this joker at the helm.

Rubio is the clear choice for me. Economic mind ✔ ,tactful ✔ , i believe hes genuine in his approach, he supports the constitution✔, pro life✔ and pro 2nd amendment✔, has experience with immigration✔, and knows whats going on in yhe world ✔

Last edited by Chuy; 10-02-2015 at 12:13 PM..
Chuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #17
Limbwalker
Banned!!!

Rubio is going to do great in the next election cycle, with 4 more years under his belt.
Limbwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2015, 01:10 PM   #18
Shallowater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker County, New Mexico

Quote:
a agree with this. Carson's thoughts have changed on guns, not because he is letting political winds blow him around, but because he hasn't ever been a politician and now he is having to craft a true platform. I could be wrong in my assessment but I feel like he gets it now.
Shallowater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2015, 01:21 PM   #19
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Dickens

Quote:
I tend to think he is the true front runner. I don't think Trump will ever get over 30%. Kind of Carson's to loose at this point, as the field narrows.
BrianL is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #20
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Burnet Co.

Trump is a moron and a spoiled brat. He scares the crud out of me because I remember Ross Perot. I truly think he's a liberal plant, who knows how to act to convince enough people that he's not. And the media is playing right along, they love him. He's rude, crass and obnoxious and that does two things for the media. First, it drives ratings. Second, the liberal media knows that if he wins the nomination, there will be MANY conservatives, and virtually all moderates who will refuse to vote for him. You drive the moderates away from the conservative side, they'll vote liberal, and the true conservatives who see Trump as the blubbering idiot that he is, just won't vote, which is just as bad as voting liberal. So, by fawning over Trump, the media will almost guarantee a liberal win. Trump has been a liberal Clinton supporter for decades, and only came over to the conservative side since Obama was elected. Wonder if it's actually ideology, or maybe he just hates Obama for some reason.
txfireguy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 07:15 AM   #21
texansfan
Ten Point

It's being reported that GOP members are open to stricter gun controls now.
Ron Johnson being one of them.

They are being infected and picked off One by One
It's becoming more of a centrist govt
The hearing protection act is not being voted on
And now it looks like they want to ban bumpstocks

Stay tuned...
Old 10-05-2017, 09:15 AM   #22
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Over yonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
Trump is a moron and a spoiled brat. He scares the crud out of me because I remember Ross Perot. I truly think he's a liberal plant, who knows how to act to convince enough people that he's not. And the media is playing right along, they love him. He's rude, crass and obnoxious and that does two things for the media. First, it drives ratings. Second, the liberal media knows that if he wins the nomination, there will be MANY conservatives, and virtually all moderates who will refuse to vote for him. You drive the moderates away from the conservative side, they'll vote liberal, and the true conservatives who see Trump as the blubbering idiot that he is, just won't vote, which is just as bad as voting liberal. So, by fawning over Trump, the media will almost guarantee a liberal win. Trump has been a liberal Clinton supporter for decades, and only came over to the conservative side since Obama was elected. Wonder if it's actually ideology, or maybe he just hates Obama for some reason.

I felt the exact same way @ that point in time!
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2017, 06:57 AM   #23
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!
Default Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD2037 View Post

I felt the exact same way @ that point in time!
That was almost 2 years ago. What is your opinion now?

I was a Carson supporter then went to Cruz. I happily voted on Election Day for Trump because he was the ONLY OTHER OPTION TO DEFEAT HILLARY.

Quoting a 2 yr old opinion is useless. Unless you’re just trying to say “ Told you so, told you so” like a child.
Tejas Wildlife is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #24
TimH
Pope & Young

Carson's stance on this has been well known since he emerged onto the scene. It's about the only topic I really disagree with him on.

I just want our 2nd Amendment to be completely left alone. It's been infringed upon too much as is already.
TimH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top