Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 10-12-2017, 07:40 AM   #1
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska
Default Equipment Question

So this may be a bit off topic but I feel like I'll get the answer I'm looking for here. My wife is shooting a low poundage compound bow and I have struggled with finding the most efficient broadhead for her set up. I haven't checked the poundage but I would imagine it's less than 40lbs, 24.5" draw and it's pretty slow... ok it's really slow. I shoot 73# with a 30" draw heavy arrows with weighted inserts so penetration has never been a concern for me.

I know a lot of the trad guys shoot a monster 2 blade cut on contact head (250gr a lot of times) and was wondering if this would be beneficial for her set up? If not, could someone please point me in the right direction for a slower speed bow to get the best results.
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 07:49 AM   #2
Brandon M.
Four Point

Have y'all tried Magnus Stingers? They worked extremely well for my wife.
Brandon M. is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 07:50 AM   #3
BW96
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

My girlfriend is shooting 42# and 26.5. Pretty dang slow. She shot her first deer thus last weekend. It was a dumb spike he still dropped 12 inches, turned 80 degrees and threw his *** in the arrows way. We found the deer piled up 50 yards away thankfully but we have to get more speed. He wasn't even on alert or looking nervous. Anyways to answer your original question, the shot was 20 yards and she's shooting a trusty 100gr thunderhead. The long sweeping blades seem to allow more penetration. Hit in the hunt quarter after he dropped and spun, the arrow reached his opposite side, didn't stick through but it was just under the skin. So 12-13 inches of penetration. I'm compemplating what to do to get the arrow delivered faster. Post what you decide

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
BW96 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 08:12 AM   #4
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

IF you can find the real thunderheads, and not the chinese imports, that may be a good option. Also be weary of "replacement" blades. Tons of those out there that are not good. Cheap steel, and not straight. Besides the thunderhead. I know of several that shoot the Magnus Stingers. They are a good cutting head. Personally I would avoid building to much head weight on her bow. I know we tend to shoot much slower bows then the compounds but we are still getting around 180 FPS and some faster.
Good luck to you and her.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #5
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon M. View Post
These are exactly what I want for her, but I am really interested in what benefit if any the heavy grain 2 blades have for a slow set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW96 View Post
My girlfriend is shooting 42# and 26.5. Pretty dang slow. She shot her first deer thus last weekend. It was a dumb spike he still dropped 12 inches, turned 80 degrees and threw his *** in the arrows way. We found the deer piled up 50 yards away thankfully but we have to get more speed. He wasn't even on alert or looking nervous. Anyways to answer your original question, the shot was 20 yards and she's shooting a trusty 100gr thunderhead. The long sweeping blades seem to allow more penetration. Hit in the hunt quarter after he dropped and spun, the arrow reached his opposite side, didn't stick through but it was just under the skin. So 12-13 inches of penetration. I'm compemplating what to do to get the arrow delivered faster. Post what you decide

Once the bow is maxed out on poundage I guess that's about all you're going to get. It's a very frustrating thing and is something I've never really had to deal with. Even when I first started bow hunting I was shooting 70# and a relatively long draw so it's not something I know how to fix.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #6
BW96
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
These are exactly what I want for her, but I am really interested in what benefit if any the heavy grain 2 blades have for a slow set up.

Once the bow is maxed out on poundage I guess that's about all you're going to get. It's a very frustrating thing and is something I've never really had to deal with. Even when I first started bow hunting I was shooting 70# and a relatively long draw so it's not something I know how to fix.
I'll never be able to get 70 out of her, that's what the bow maxes out at. I'm thinking about buying a speed bow and turn it down to about 50, I hope I can get her to that point.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #7
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Bones View Post
IF you can find the real thunderheads, and not the chinese imports, that may be a good option. Also be weary of "replacement" blades. Tons of those out there that are not good. Cheap steel, and not straight. Besides the thunderhead. I know of several that shoot the Magnus Stingers. They are a good cutting head. Personally I would avoid building to much head weight on her bow. I know we tend to shoot much slower bows then the compounds but we are still getting around 180 FPS and some faster.
Good luck to you and her.
Can you tell me the benefit of having all that weight up front? I haven't chronographed her bow but 180fps doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. It just seems like super slow motion to a guy that is used to pushing close to 300fps
Old 10-12-2017, 08:22 AM   #8
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW96 View Post
I'll never be able to get 70 out of her, that's what the bow maxes out at. I'm thinking about buying a speed bow and turn it down to about 50, I hope I can get her to that point.

What little bit I know about bows is you want to be closer to the max than the minimum on draw weight so if she's in the 40's and the bow goes to 70 you're probably not maximizing the potential there. You may look into one with 50# limbs. Her draw length with generate a little more speed.

My wife loves to bow hunt and with both kids now she doesn't get to do it a lot. I just hate for her to have a bad experience with it when she does get to go.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:25 AM   #9
Ruttin&Struttin
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: North Texas, South East Texas, Hill Country

My wife's set up is close to your wife's. My wife shoots a 39lb draw weight, 26.5 draw length with a 100gr broadhead. Her broadheads are the ramcat single bevel. I think they are an inch cutting diameter. She killed two deer in the past two years. Both shots completely passed thru the deer. One arrow burried 4 inches in the ground under the buck. I don't think the ramcats are magic at all. It's all about shot placement. Any shave hair, small diameter head, coc head will work. Just practice a ton and make sure she knows her max distance she is comfortable shooting and she will be successful. My wife practices out to 40 but won't shoot a deer unless it is 20 or less. She had to watch a 140+er walk by right before Christmas last year because he was at 35 yards. She made the right decision. Good luck to your wife!
Ruttin&Struttin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 08:26 AM   #10
BW96
Eight Point

Quote:
What little bit I know about bows is you want to be closer to the max than the minimum on draw weight so if she's in the 40's and the bow goes to 70 you're probably not maximizing the potential there. You may look into one with 50# limbs. Her draw length with generate a little more speed.

My wife loves to bow hunt and with both kids now she doesn't get to do it a lot. I just hate for her to have a bad experience with it when she does get to go.
Oh I understand that. It's a craze that goes from 5 to 70 or something like that. I think just a little better quality now that I know she's hooked. I just couldn't stand the water works that were turned on when she realized she hit him wrong. Anyways back to the OP, good luck.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:26 AM   #11
Joel1952
Six Point

I shoot a 56lb bow and use Trophy Taker Shuttle 100gr. Have taken 2 deer with these. Both deer at 17 yards or less and shooting thru netting on a pop up blind.
Joel1952 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #12
Rat
Ten Point

Any arrow will benefit from more FOC, but low poundage set ups will have a greater benefit.

Any broadhead with a good mechanical advantage that is sharp will be the best bet, but like others have said, there are many options that will work.

Forget about speed, build an arrow that is designed for penetration.

You don't have to go crazy with FOC, something North of 15% will likely be enough, but more certainly isn't going to hurt.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 04:32 PM   #13
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

For me the extra headweight seems to add penetration. It's taken some time to understand and I do not believe I know it all, but two primary factors being kinetic energy and momentum. Obviously EVERYTHING has it's limitations. I will say just practicing I get a solid 3-4 inches more of penetration from my heavier set-up if I shoot the same arrow with less nose weight. I have 100 grain brass inserts in my arrows + 165 grain Bear Razorhead broadheads. My longbow is 51# at my 27" draw and last season it passed almost 10" of arrow through (came out off side) a large sow (see avatar pic) at 25ish yards. The added weight continues to penetrate a little deeper where a lighter arrow might not do to the amount of energy lost at impact. If she is certain she wants to hunt, and please don't overbow her by trying to add to much draw weight, I might start out with something between 25-50 grain insert and a SOLID 2 blade head at least 125 grains. See what the gap between the pins are and if she can effectively shoot the inbetween yardages. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #14
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Can you tell me the benefit of having all that weight up front? I haven't chronographed her bow but 180fps doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. It just seems like super slow motion to a guy that is used to pushing close to 300fps
The weight up front (FOC) aids in penetration by concentrating what kinetic energy and momentum that is generated by the slower lighter poundage bow, and putting all the energy into the killing end of the arrow. I know some will argue that faster heavy poundage bows are going to generate more kinetic energy and more momentum and they are right. But in my opinion and in the opinion of a LOT of great bowyers a high FOC is the best way to get penetration out of lighter poundage slower bows.

Ed Ashby with grizzlystix Alaskan archery has written a lot about the benefits of Extreme FOC heavy cut on contact single bevel broadheads.

I killed a lot of animals prior to switching from light arrows 100 grain heads and 70 lb draw weights, and I have no objection to shooting them today, but Ive found in my shooting traditional equipment set up in this manner (high FOC) I get just as many pass thrus as I did with my Bowtec.
sweetinlow660 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #15
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Refugio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon M. View Post

This what my wife shot for 3 years. Great broad head for low poundage bows. She doesn't know it yet but she now shoots 45# at 24" DL and uses the Wasp 100 grain Hammers. Been shooting them the last two years and those suckers leave a gap. But as far as the Magnus stingers go penetration was never an issue, didn't complete pass throughs every time but penetration was always buried more than half her arrow. Only lost one hog that was pushing 300 pounds but he as found the next day. Shot was high in the ribs so it took him a while to bleed out.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 10:33 PM   #16
Draco
Pope & Young

To see what higher foc does for penetration, look for a Muzzy video of shooting different arrows through a side of beef. With less foc, the arrows flex unbelievably back and forth, robbing you of penetration. Less weight in the back allows the arrows to go through the animal straighter not flexing back and forth, robbing you of penetration. It's not that hard to get 20% foc.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 11:35 PM   #17
kmon
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly

Know a few that are shooting 37 to 43 lbs with less than 25 inch draws, Axis arrow 75gr Insert and 100gr G5 Montec has been working well for them keeping shots inside 25 yards.
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 06:52 AM   #18
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I put 125 grain muzzy phantoms on my wife's compound ( 45#) She's killed everything she's shot at so far . Pass thru on every except one deer that spun and she hit a little far forward. He only went about 80 yrds anyways!
They are super easy to sharpen. I like em so much I thinking about getting me some!
Randy Madden is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 07:26 AM   #19
RJH1
Six Point

1 turn the bow 1/2-1 round
2 Magnus stingers 100 or poss 125 for more foc
3 gold tip velocity or equivalent weight shafts

Using the velocity shafts will do you the dual favor on that bow of increasing speed and FOC. If she has been shooting for a bit, she probably wont even notice the slight increase in draw weight. On the rig you are talking about I personally wouldn't go with extreme FOC, adding weights and such, I would opt for a little more speed and flatter trajectory
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 02:49 PM   #20
gettin closer
Six Point

Hunt In: Gonzales

Great advice on here. My wife shoots a 42# compunt. She uses the steel force cut on contact single bevel heads 125 grain with a basic arrow. (Not sure of brand but a basic compound arrow. No weights or inserts.) She has taken 2 bucks and a 160# hog. The hog and 1 buck were full pennitration (2 holes with the arrow sticking out the opposite side.) And the other buck turned on her and she went in at the second from last rib, down and forward I to the liver and lungs. About 22ish inches of pennitration. All went down in 60 or less yards.
gettin closer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top