Public land public service announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Larry View Post
    Don't touch another man's flagging tape!

Unless you plan on relocating it to another trail to totally confuse him the next time he tries to use it.

Comment

if it wasn't littering, I would be inclined to just move it to some random location

Comment

I like when they put each piece about 20 ft apart. They spent some time putting that crap up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I was considering making a post about the same thing. Im so tired of seeing flagging, beer cans, water bottles and all other trash on public land. There isnt much pristine land left in Texas. We need to take care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
            I was considering making a post about the same thing. Im so tired of seeing flagging, beer cans, water bottles and all other trash on public land. There isnt much pristine land left in Texas. We need to take care of it.
            AMEN

I have thought of having a "TBH Cleanup" at the end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
              AMEN

I have thought of having a "TBH Cleanup" at the end of the season.

Flagging tape doesn't bother me nearly as much as the plain trash. Bottles, cans, food or bait containers, etc...

I pick up what I can, when I can (including old trot lines), but it seems like that battle will never end. I really hate seeing the trash on the landscape. At least with tape it's possible there's a use for it, but the "regular" trash has no purpose at all.

I prefer leaving as few traces of one's presence as possible. It makes for a better experience for all and I'm not a fan of doing the other guy's homework for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I love the guys who put out the flagging to say “ this is my spot “ . I usually rip it down and find their feeder 100 yards off the road ...

Comment

Don't use surveyors tape. You are not surveying anything. It makes the woods look ugly and it broadcasts your position needlessly.

None of our forests have any areas further than a half mile away from at least a closed logging road. You can't get lost for long.

If you need to find your stand in the dark buy a cell phone GPS app and put a reflector on your stand.
                  Agree

Comment

You mean you guys are taking my tape down. I thought the deer were eating it. Every time I go to the stand my flags are missing and there are deer droppings all over. I put more out every time to try to bring in the big ones.

At least no one has ever taken my duck decoys off of the lake during the night.

Comment

If someone can't find there way out of the 'bush' 90 yards from a two track logging road, they have some problems flagging tape won't solve.
                      I dont like flagging tape either.

While I agree that in most eastern forest you are less than 3 miles "as the crow flies" to a trail or road, I think people need to research the area they are hiking into, let others know where they will be, bring along maps, GPS, and a compass. I wouldn't minimize the threat of getting lost.
                      I've spent quite a bit of time in national forest and preserves and the jungles of south east Texas can be dangerous if you are unprepared. You cant travel "as the crow flies" in some of the tangled thickets and swamps.

Comment

If someone can't find there way out of the 'bush' 90 yards from a two track logging road, they have some problems flagging tape won't solve.
                        We aren't all blessed with your navigational skills so I would second the comment about the risk of pulling someone's flags for safety concerns. I agree that they can be considered an eye sore but if it helps a new hunter or even a seasoned hunter with or without children to get out and do something we all enjoy then so be it as long as it's not a violation.

As far as the GPS or phone app with GPS, don't let that be your safety blanket. I dang near got lost in Big Thicket and I had a waypoint of where I parked the truck. It started to get dark and I headed back but the good ol GPS couldn't get a signal. I was only about 100 yards from the road but when every tree and water hole looks the same, you can go in circles if you don't watch out.

I think a compass should be in every person's toolbox if going out in unfamiliar territory.

Comment

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
                          100% agree... I tear the stuff down every time i run across it, nothing more than common littering IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                          Took the words right out of my mouth.

Comment

i AGREE ...these fools dont realize it leads people including the Game Warden right to you...also lets the deer know ).... navigation skills? Everyone has a cell phone use your **** gps. No one wants to see you ugly flags thru the beautiful forest.

Comment

Don't use surveyors tape. You are not surveying anything. It makes the woods look ugly and it broadcasts your position needlessly.

None of our forests have any areas further than a half mile away from at least a closed logging road. You can't get lost for long.

If you need to find your stand in the dark buy a cell phone GPS app and put a reflector on your stand.

I will go against the grain here and say I am guilty from using it a time or two but ONLY, I repeat, ONLY for trailing a deer I’ve shot. I can get turned around super quick and lose a blood trail if I don’t mark the blood as I find it.

I use gps and memory to get to all my spots. Too many people in the woods to pave the way for someone.

One of my personal favorites is when I find hand written notes asking people to stay away. Those are always great.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                                I will go against the grain here and say I am guilty from using it a time or two but ONLY, I repeat, ONLY for trailing a deer I’ve shot. I can get turned around super quick and lose a blood trail if I don’t mark the blood as I find it.

I use gps and memory to get to all my spots. Too many people in the woods to pave the way for someone.

One of my personal favorites is when I find hand written notes asking people to stay away. Those are always great.

I use it to help blood trail too, when necessary. That said, I take it down once I'm done. This isn't really the issue. Do what you have to do to recover your deer, then clean up.

The issue is that I can go into the woods near where I hunt (which requires a significant boar ride) and walk into the woods, and I won't go 100 yards before I find the first piece of reflective red and silver tape. If I follow that red and silver tape, as sure as the sun rises, I'll end up at a certain treestand that popped up just before season. I saw that flagging tape the first time I went in there back in the spring. It's been refreshed since (though the old tape is still there). Having hunted my spot (which is 250-300 yards away from his), I now know that the hunter that hung the stand arrives 15-30 minutes before shooting time, and I know where he parks his boat and when he leaves. I arrive an hour or more before him, and I walk right by his stand on the way to mine. I don't think he has any idea that my partner and I are also hunting that area, and I know for a fact that he doesn't know that on opening weekend I saw around 15 deer and 5 or 6 hogs just a few hundred yards from his spot. That secret wouldn't stay safe long with a big bright breadcrumb trail of flagging tape leading right to it.

Also, I grew up in the Big Thicket. That is some nasty bush. That said, my Grandpa and Dad taught me to navigate by the sun and by the creeks and sloughs long before GPS was available on the commercial market. I get what you are saying about new guys, but I still think it's poor woodsmanship to leave that stuff out there. At the very least, pick it up on your way out when you are done hunting there.

Comment

Working...
                                X