Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 10-11-2017, 11:08 PM   #1
Chase This!
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the big deer roam
Default Trump threatens the free press

Interesting to see the president support infringing on the 1st amendment.

"Network news has become so partisan, distorted and fake that licenses must be challenged and, if appropriate, revoked. Not fair to public!"

"With all of the Fake News coming out of NBC and the Networks, at what point is it appropriate to challenge their License? Bad for country!"

Also, I can't believe someone can't take away his twitter account.
Chase This! is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 12:32 AM   #2
Jason
Six Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches/Rusk County

No one has ever been better at controlling the narrative than Trump. Tweet something ridiculous that your base will love, watch the news media and crazy left go bananas, and once again we go another news cycle while not focusing on real issues.

What's going on with Iran? What's the current plan with N. Korea? How are we doing on tax reform? What's the latest on the ACA and its replacement/repeal? What about DACA? The "tall beautiful wall"?

Trump focuses the media, and by default America on whatever red herring he wants. It's actually pretty masterful.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 01:04 AM   #3
icetrauma
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
No one has ever been better at controlling the narrative than Trump. Tweet something ridiculous that your base will love, watch the news media and crazy left go bananas, and once again we go another news cycle while not focusing on real issues.

What's going on with Iran? What's the current plan with N. Korea? How are we doing on tax reform? What's the latest on the ACA and its replacement/repeal? What about DACA? The "tall beautiful wall"?

Trump focuses the media, and by default America on whatever red herring he wants. It's actually pretty masterful.
Iran - cancel current deal
N. Korea - war of words unless Rocket Man does something really stupid.
Tax Reform - Probably will hit road blocks on both sides of the aisle.
Daca - Approved
Wall - meh
icetrauma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 01:20 AM   #4
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Not sure if he threatened or just called them out again.. "Fake News" using Trumps name for it, are as much a threat to our freedom as a government controlled press core. The liberal media is in bed with the dems and are biascally being "controlled" as to what narrative they are spewing 24/7. If we can not see the danger in the national media being in bed with either political party we are doomed for sure.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 01:36 AM   #5
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Not sure if he threatened or just called them out again.. "Fake News" using Trumps name for it, are as much a threat to our freedom as a government controlled press core. The liberal media is in bed with the dems and are biascally being "controlled" as to what narrative they are spewing 24/7. If we can not see the danger in the national media being in bed with either political party we are doomed for sure.

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #6
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Yep. If Reagan had a twitter account........
Ironman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 09:34 AM   #7
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetrauma View Post
Iran - cancel current deal
N. Korea - war of words unless Rocket Man does something really stupid.
Tax Reform - Probably will hit road blocks on both sides of the aisle.
Daca - Approved
Wall - meh
http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/10...hey-look-like/
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #8
texasnavy05
Eight Point

Hunt In: Snook, TX

Quote:
not to mention the most watched news agency being controlled by the repubs. (fox news)

it seems common to leave fox out of the tag "mainstream media" but they are the biggest one in the msm. and, they owe trump big time. hes basically convinced(or reinforced) his entire following that no other news network can be trusted and fox ratings have never been better.

couldnt agree more with you though. its getting very hard to find a national news network that even attempts to be objective and unbiased. and this will end up being very divisive and dangerous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
texasnavy05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #9
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]not to mention the most watched news agency being controlled by the repubs. (fox news)

it seems common to leave fox out of the tag "mainstream media" but they are the biggest one in the msm. and, they owe trump big time. hes basically convinced(or reinforced) his entire following that no other news network can be trusted and fox ratings have never been better.
[/color]
couldnt agree more with you though. its getting very hard to find a national news network that even attempts to be objective and unbiased. and this will end up being very divisive and dangerous.

I think the reason people leave Fox out of discussions like this is because Fox is the stand alone channel with a "Republican" leaning. So it kind of seems like it's Fox against the world.

Dinesh D'Souza, I think, nails it when it comes to Fox. It's not necessarily that they are the best and are always telling the truth, they simply came in with an alternate perspective and exposed "news" for what it is. Which is whatever the person feeding it to you wants it to be.

I agree. There really isn't anything out there that doesn' t have a spin/bias/agenda. It's been that way for a long time. This is why it's important we stop teaching kids what to think and instead teach them how to think. I can watch CNN/Fox and wade through the BS to come to my own conclusion/opinion about a topic. It seems that is lost on a lot of people.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #10
texasnavy05
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
I can watch CNN/Fox and wade through the BS to come to my own conclusion/opinion about a topic. It seems that is lost on a lot of people.
exactly! you listen to both sides of an argument then find the truth somewhere in the middle.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #11
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Quote:
exactly! you listen to both sides of an argument then find the truth somewhere in the middle.

Except they are getting more and more simpatico.

I refuse to watch and Cable news shows except Kennedy but I only like that show for her commentary and the Topical Storm as its hilarious. The panels on the show are the same as the rest of fox. We haven't turned on cable news in months at our house, I have pretty much forbade it. It is just designed to divide.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=664368
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #12
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:

Well I wouldn't even go that far. If I watch news, it's really for the headlines only. The topic can be thought of and researched individually and free from news orgs. Saying that. There are some people I like in media. You just have to realize they are people with their own views and agendas just like you and I.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #13
batmaninja
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/10/ny...ti-trump-bias/

A NYT editor just got caught on camera admitting they are biased and uh well-

"The editor also claimed to be a former antifa member who frequently assaulted alleged neo-Nazis. “Yeah, I used to be an antifa punk once upon a time,” Dudich says, referring to the militant far-left movement that has repeatedly attacked conservatives and Trump supporters."

I mean is it really "news" to promote lies, say like the Trump PeePee dossier. At some point I think you get into slander.
batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #14
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post
http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/10/ny...ti-trump-bias/

A NYT editor just got caught on camera admitting they are biased and uh well-

"The editor also claimed to be a former antifa member who frequently assaulted alleged neo-Nazis. “Yeah, I used to be an antifa punk once upon a time,” Dudich says, referring to the militant far-left movement that has repeatedly attacked conservatives and Trump supporters."

I mean is it really "news" to promote lies, say like the Trump PeePee dossier. At some point I think you get into slander.
okeefe does it again
Old 10-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #15
Neck
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt County

Trump train rolling baby!!!!!!!!!!!
Neck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #16
batmaninja
Eight Point

Didnt BHO Obama infringe a wee bit on "free press" as well?

In 2013 the news broke that Eric Holder’s Justice Department had spied on James Rosen. Obama’s DOJ collected Rosen’s telephone records as well as tracked his movements to and from the State Department from where he reported. Rosen was named as a possible co-conspirator in a Justice Department affidavit. Rosen claims that his parents phone line was also swept up in the collection of his records and DOJ records seem to confirm that. Despite the targeting of Rosen, there were no brave calls to boycott the White House Correspondents Dinner.

Obama’s Justice Department secretly obtained months of phone records belonging to AP journalists while investigating a failed terror attack. And much like the Rosen spying, this was personally approved by Attorney General Holder.

Chase, read you up a little on the Patriot Act. It did a little more than, infringe
Old 10-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #17
texasnavy05
Eight Point

Quote:

In 2013 the news broke that Eric Holder’s Justice Department had spied on James Rosen. Obama’s DOJ collected Rosen’s telephone records as well as tracked his movements to and from the State Department from where he reported. Rosen was named as a possible co-conspirator in a Justice Department affidavit. Rosen claims that his parents phone line was also swept up in the collection of his records and DOJ records seem to confirm that. Despite the targeting of Rosen, there were no brave calls to boycott the White House Correspondents Dinner.

Obama’s Justice Department secretly obtained months of phone records belonging to AP journalists while investigating a failed terror attack. And much like the Rosen spying, this was personally approved by Attorney General Holder.

Chase, read you up a little on the Patriot Act. It did a little more than, infringe
tu quoque

Old 10-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #18
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
tu quoque

Oh but of course! You see this all the time now from the liberals and their criticism of Trump. Oh how soon some forget.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #19
texasnavy05
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Oh but of course! You see this all the time now from the liberals and their criticism of Trump. Oh how soon some forget.
i dont think that particular logical fallacy is limited to a single political group.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #20
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
i dont think that particular logical fallacy is limited to a single political group.

Then why bring it up? Agenda maybe?
Old 10-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #21
texasnavy05
Eight Point

Quote:
Then why bring it up? Agenda maybe?
i brought it up because its a bs argument that too many ppl use these days.

ill point it out when i see it.

so, yeah, i guess i have an agenda. and, that agenda is to call out bs arguments.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #22
batmaninja
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase This! View Post
at what point is it appropriate to challenge their License? Bad for country!"
So how about CNN leaking questions to Clinton, on 2 occaisions?

Put me down as thinking it is appropriate to challenge Donna's (a DNC chair) and CNN's license.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #23
Neck
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt County

Neck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #24
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
i brought it up because its a bs argument that too many ppl use these days.

ill point it out when i see it.

so, yeah, i guess i have an agenda. and, that agenda is to call out bs arguments.

Such as this one? I too don't mind calling it out.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #25
texasnavy05
Eight Point

Quote:
Such as this one? I too don't mind calling it out.
where is the fallacy in my argument?

my argument being - the post that i quoted was an example of a logical fallacy called "tu quoque"

Old 10-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #26
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

Quote:

Just a "wee" bit...

https://sharylattkisson.com/2017/09/...ance-timeline/
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #27
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neck View Post
right click...save as
Old 10-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #28
super_dave
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NW Smith County

The first amendment is actually meant to prevent the media we have right now
super_dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 04:50 PM   #29
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Exactly right
Trump cant revoke the medias license but he can make it abundantly clear that
They are not and never have done the republican party any favors. GW was treated this same way only he never said anything about it. The media IS a tool for one side of the isle and DO NOT live up to their constitutional privilege
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #30
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Those who choose to be informed can be informed..

Wall: http://www.newsweek.com/see-first-ph...er-wall-683044
Tax Reform: At the soonest will be christmas, the RINO's don't want it.
ACA: issued EO today on it https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.50067a8a87c7
DACA is on a 6 month deal for congress to figure out, after that it is "supposed to be eliminated".
Iran/N. Korea, we will know when we need to know. That is national security, let them work.
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 07:14 PM   #31
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: my birthday suit

It's funny the leftists cheered when Barry made recess appointments when Congress was not in recess. That is an impeachable offense. Trump simply opens his hole and they clamber to uphold the Constitution; at least, part of it. Inconsistency is the fabric of their being. They have absolutely no morals and are worth less than cockroaches to me.
Livin'2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 08:28 PM   #32
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
Inconsistency is the fabric of their being. They have absolutely no morals and are worth less than cockroaches to me.
In my opinion that's one of the major things that separates the left and the right.....they have no morals or principles. I will however disagree with the cockroach comment.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:49 PM   #33
TeamAmerica
Six Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Man this was such a civil political discussion for so long! Kinda refreshing and only a few over the top comments. Trump is right they are biased news outlets but the risk of not having a free press far outweighs any cons. It will be interesting to see how far it evolves with technology. Most don't have the attention span to absorb any depth of information to make rational conclusions. Now Russia is buying ads on Facebook and Twitter trying to influence us and I'm sure it is working to some degree.

I try to get my news from sources that are NOT sensationalizing everything. #1 muse in the news for any dfw ticket fans #2 vice news #3 npr. Of course I know they are inherently biased but I never place too much stock in any of it.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 10:03 AM   #34
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I have no problem shutting down fake news propaganda machines. News should only be the whole truth and nothing but the truth and totally unbiased.
I also have no problem putting people in jail or sued for slander for deliberately reporting fake news (lies) that is meant to hurt America and people they don't like or disagree with.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 10:14 AM   #35
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
I have no problem shutting down fake news propaganda machines. News should only be the whole truth and nothing but the truth and totally unbiased.
I also have no problem putting people in jail or sued for slander for deliberately reporting fake news (lies) that is meant to hurt America and people they don't like or disagree with.
I agree with hitting them with lawsuits over slander to keep them in check. That goes for both sides.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #36
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
That goes for both sides.
Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 11:46 PM   #37
armadillophil
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson/Ohio

Trump threatens free press....cnn couldnt have wrote that headline better. NBC is not the free press, it does the heavy lifting for the left and has for 30 years.
armadillophil is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #38
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: my birthday suit

It IS damaging and it IS annoying as hell but what y'all are saying is essentially censorship of certain brands of speech. As reprehensible as the media is, just remember, there will come a time when "your guy" isn't in office. The pendulum will swing back. The First Amendment is equally as important as the Second.

If people were properly educated, this would be a non-issue. The leftists have assumed control of our educational system and purposefully run it straight into the ground so future generations can't recognize BS when they see/hear it. The ship is taking on water folks.
Livin'2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #39
Lostacresranch
Six Point

There is a vast difference between free press and propaganda. When you have multi media groups continuously lying to slant a story for political reasons, that's not free press. And it happens daily. Editors fired for allowing lies to be published as news, media employees fixing political debates, constant political bias promoted by entire networks...that's not free press.
Lostacresranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 08:42 AM   #40
Tbar
Ten Point

Quote:
not to mention the most watched news agency being controlled by the repubs. (fox news)

The far left media controlling the narrative created the market for Fox News.

Ie - 20 years ago the MSM essentially created a vacuum that brought on the rise of Fox.

Last edited by Tbar; 10-16-2017 at 08:44 AM..
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top