Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
jvela23
Spike

Default Lake Meredith

This will be my first visiting/hunting LM in a couple of weeks. I have looked on maps and on previous posts and have an idea of what to expect on certain locations. I was just looking for some input on anything that might help me on my hunt. Also this will be my first time hunting for deer so really "any tips" help.
jvela23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Kinney Counties

Are you bow or gun hunting? I never tried out there with a bow but I had pretty good success on whitetails during gun season. I imagine it'd be pretty close to impossible with a bow. Never did see any mulies during season but saw plenty after season was closed. It's like they know what was going on. lol. I still go up that way every year, but to duck hunt.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #3
jvela23
Spike

I'm going to use the bow since it'll still be archery only. I'm not looking for specific locations or anything but just ideas of where to go and I don't mind walking far distances. Do you know if the deer are super skiddish during archery season at LM.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

The hard part is going to be seeing deer, and even harder is going to be getting within bow range. There's not a lot of cover and I don't believe you are allowed to use or build any kind of blinds.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #5
jvela23
Spike

I figured that was going to be the hardest part. They allow you to have a non-permanent blind as long as it has your name and number and isn't left alone longer than 24 hrs.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:59 AM   #6
TRexFace
Four Point

I always see tons of Mulies that any experienced outdoorsman could get in range of, troublem is they're all does.
TRexFace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 09:42 AM   #7
Dude Briggs
Six Point

Hunt In: wherever I can afford

I think this year will be our 7th trip to Meredith bowhunting mulies. We drive 500 miles and spend 4-5 days per trip. We've yet to bring home a buck but we did draw blood last year, unfortunately my buddy just knicked him, 52 yd shot. We've also stalked to within bow range of does and yearling mulies. We seem to get closer and closer every year and hopefully this is the year to fill a tag. Meredith is one the most physically demanding place on Earth if you really hunt it hard. We see whitetail mostly in the valley and mulies in the canyons. It seems to change year to year and for the most part day to day, a hot canyon one day, barren the next. The main thing to remember if you're after mulies is they ARE NOT whitetails... It took me a few trips to really understand that. They behave totally different. The key out there is quality optics and really picking the canyons apart... Not the ones half a mile from you, the one your on. They hide in plain sight.

Last edited by Dude Briggs; 09-27-2017 at 09:45 AM..
Dude Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #8
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Shake N' Bake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #9
jvela23
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Briggs View Post
I think this year will be our 7th trip to Meredith bowhunting mulies. We drive 500 miles and spend 4-5 days per trip. We've yet to bring home a buck but we did draw blood last year, unfortunately my buddy just knicked him, 52 yd shot. We've also stalked to within bow range of does and yearling mulies. We seem to get closer and closer every year and hopefully this is the year to fill a tag. Meredith is one the most physically demanding place on Earth if you really hunt it hard. We see whitetail mostly in the valley and mulies in the canyons. It seems to change year to year and for the most part day to day, a hot canyon one day, barren the next. The main thing to remember if you're after mulies is they ARE NOT whitetails... It took me a few trips to really understand that. They behave totally different. The key out there is quality optics and really picking the canyons apart... Not the ones half a mile from you, the one your on. They hide in plain sight.
Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely keep in mind to take my time when glassin. I'll be driving around 500 mi. and plan on staying out there 5 days as well, hopefully I'll get a chance.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:10 PM   #10
coldgas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hemphill Co

I have not hunted Merideth or the River in years. I had my best success rifle hunting on the river around the Dumas bridge on 287. We also hunted devils canyon across from Mcbride canyon. We saw a lot of deer there but never killed any. You have to hoof it across and if the river is up you may not be able to cross.

For those familiar with the area around the Dumas bridge, can you still archery only hunt the Cross Bar ranch on the south side of the river? That would be a good option because you can hike in and there is not much pressure.
coldgas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 05:09 PM   #11
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

We always hunted Mullinaw Trail, we'd hike all the way past the end of the trail to Chicken Creek. Walk in the dark and hunt all day. I hunted there two years, we always killed our whitetail buck and does. Never saw any shooter mulies during mule deer season. Hard hunting but if you put in the work and time during gun season you could kill deer pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #12
Dude Briggs
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvela23 View Post
Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely keep in mind to take my time when glassin. I'll be driving around 500 mi. and plan on staying out there 5 days as well, hopefully I'll get a chance.
We'll get out there the 7th, when are you planning on going?
Old 09-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #13
jvela23
Spike

I'll be getting there on the morning of the 4th. and taking off after sunset on the 8th. Hopefully, with it being the middle of the week there will be less hunters and chances of deer getting blown out.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:50 AM   #14
Dude Briggs
Six Point

Middle of the week is always better than the weekend. Good luck and post how it goes
Old 10-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #15
chastings77
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Lake Meredith, Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldgas View Post
I have not hunted Merideth or the River in years. I had my best success rifle hunting on the river around the Dumas bridge on 287. We also hunted devils canyon across from Mcbride canyon. We saw a lot of deer there but never killed any. You have to hoof it across and if the river is up you may not be able to cross.

For those familiar with the area around the Dumas bridge, can you still archery only hunt the Cross Bar ranch on the south side of the river? That would be a good option because you can hike in and there is not much pressure.
Hey coldgas, I talked with the BLM, they were at the Fair. We can bow hunt crossbar anytime we want, you just have to go into their office in Amarillo and let them know when you are going. I am going to check it out sometime this year for sure!

I hunted sunup to sundown last saturday, hiked in from plum creek towards evans. Made it in 3 canyons, tons of deer but most of them were not in the canyons. Very hard stalks for me and I was reminded how rough it is out there!

Last edited by chastings77; 10-03-2017 at 10:11 AM..
chastings77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #16
coldgas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastings77 View Post
Hey coldgas, I talked with the BLM, they were at the Fair. We can bow hunt crossbar anytime we want, you just have to go into their office in Amarillo and let them know when you are going. I am going to check it out sometime this year for sure!

I hunted sunup to sundown last saturday, hiked in from plum creek towards evans. Made it in 3 canyons, tons of deer but most of them were not in the canyons. Very hard stalks for me and I was reminded how rough it is out there!
Good luck to you! Let me know how it goes.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #17
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

I'm planning on making my first trip to LM this year. I called the office and had them mail me info. They sent me 2 maps that have contradicting information on them. Can someone tell me which one is correct as far as there being unpaved roads through Devils, Big and Saddle Horse canyon?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #18
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastings77 View Post

Me and a couple of buddies hiked in to scout the Cross Bar one year. I talked with the office and the head ranger over the place. He said he saw most activity on the far Southwest corner/side which of course is the hardest to get to. When we went it was covered with weeds and the river was high so we couldn't cross. We had to hike a little over a mile just to get to the boundary fence. We only made it down the furthest east canyon before we had to turn back I think it was 9-10 miles there and back. I am not sure if things are the same but we had to send them a copy of our DL (just a paper copy from a copy machine) and the day we wanted to hunt. They sent us a day pass which was like a business card. You could only get a one day pass and once a year you could get a pass for 2 days in a row. There was no camping on the place and you were not supposed to be on there after dark but I am sure animal recovery and getting off a little after dark wouldn't be a high end offense. It seems like a fun place to hunt but a crap load of work for not much time to hunt.

PM me if you want maps and such.
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #19
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

I know most of us on here are pretty ethical and law abiding hunters but just incase someone wants to cut a corner I figured I would throw this out there. If you are hunting Meredith and hunt the north side ANY WHERE from west of Plum Creek to Martins Canyon including Evans Canyon and all areas in between the ranch bordering to the north of that area has new land owners and they are freaking SERIOUS about prosecuting trespassers and poachers. I mean SERIOUS so even if you are just hopping the fence to shave off a little bit off of your hike DO NOT do it. If they catch you it won't be your best day of hunting I promise you.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #20
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuramaxDude View Post
I know most of us on here are pretty ethical and law abiding hunters but just incase someone wants to cut a corner I figured I would throw this out there. If you are hunting Meredith and hunt the north side ANY WHERE from west of Plum Creek to Martins Canyon including Evans Canyon and all areas in between the ranch bordering to the north of that area has new land owners and they are freaking SERIOUS about prosecuting trespassers and poachers. I mean SERIOUS so even if you are just hopping the fence to shave off a little bit off of your hike DO NOT do it. If they catch you it won't be your best day of hunting I promise you.
Hand get caught in the cookie jar?
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2017, 05:26 PM   #21
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERS View Post
Hand get caught in the cookie jar?
Nope but you could say the info comes from multiple very good sources.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #22
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Quote:
Nope but you could say the info comes from multiple very good sources.
10-4
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2017, 12:54 AM   #23
fishanhunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Panhadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
I'm planning on making my first trip to LM this year. I called the office and had them mail me info. They sent me 2 maps that have contradicting information on them. Can someone tell me which one is correct as far as there being unpaved roads through Devils, Big and Saddle Horse canyon?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
There are roads in Big Canyon and Saddle Horse. The one in saddle Horse was washed out last year but was still passable. The road into Devil's Canyon from Big Canyon is washed out but you can get close and it's an easy hike in.

You can only get to the roads by crossing the river at Mullinaw Crossing. The usually open the gate to the river crossing the Monday after opening weekend of mule deer season. It will be crowded as hell that week of Thanksgiving. It's usually not to crazy the week after Thanksgiving but still lots of traffic.
fishanhunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #24
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishanhunt View Post
There are roads in Big Canyon and Saddle Horse. The one in saddle Horse was washed out last year but was still passable. The road into Devil's Canyon from Big Canyon is washed out but you can get close and it's an easy hike in.

You can only get to the roads by crossing the river at Mullinaw Crossing. The usually open the gate to the river crossing the Monday after opening weekend of mule deer season. It will be crowded as hell that week of Thanksgiving. It's usually not to crazy the week after Thanksgiving but still lots of traffic.
Thanks for the info! I'm planning on getting there the Friday after thanksgiving and staying until the following Wednesday.
The reason I was asking about the roads is I'm wanting to stay as far away from road traffic as possible.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #25
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Quote:

So on the map where it says no vehicles allowed downstream passed Chicken Creek is that referring to all vehicles or just the off road vehicles from Rosita Meadows?? Where it says 4x4 is recommended at Mullinaw Crossing contradicts the no vehicles down stream of chicken creek message on the map.

I crossed the Canadian last week west of Meredith and it was running as high or higher than I have seen it in 3 years. They say they plan on releasing water from Ute maybe this week. If any guys are planning a trip and crossing the river any time soon you consider that.

http://amarillo.com/local-news/news/...-lake-meredith
Old 10-10-2017, 11:31 AM   #26
fishanhunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Panhadle

Quote:
So on the map where it says no vehicles allowed downstream passed Chicken Creek is that referring to all vehicles or just the off road vehicles from Rosita Meadows?? Where it says 4x4 is recommended at Mullinaw Crossing contradicts the no vehicles down stream of chicken creek message on the map.

I crossed the Canadian last week west of Meredith and it was running as high or higher than I have seen it in 3 years. They say they plan on releasing water from Ute maybe this week. If any guys are planning a trip and crossing the river any time soon you consider that.

http://amarillo.com/local-news/news/...-lake-meredith
I believe the no vehicles downstream passed Chicken Creek is referring to ATV traffic coming from Rosita. There used to be a fence at Chicken Creek that crossed the river but I don't know if it's still there or not. ATV'S aren't allowed east of Chicken Creek. The river crossing at Mullinaw basically gives you access to the roads that the oil and gas companies use on the north side of the river.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
fishanhunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #27
jvela23
Spike

Well to put it shortly I didn't get it done. I saw a ton of deer in the few days I was there, unfortunately every one of them was a muley doe except for one buck on the other side of a fence. I had camped in blue west and spent my first few days in martin's die canyon before moving on to evans. All I can say is that down in the canyons is thick and tall and the only thing you can really see is the edges of the canyon, especially if they are bedded down.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #28
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvela23 View Post
Well to put it shortly I didn't get it done. I saw a ton of deer in the few days I was there, unfortunately every one of them was a muley doe except for one buck on the other side of a fence. I had camped in blue west and spent my first few days in martin's die canyon before moving on to evans. All I can say is that down in the canyons is thick and tall and the only thing you can really see is the edges of the canyon, especially if they are bedded down.
I go up there every year to duck hunt. I usually hunt right around Blue West. I still own a house in Fritch. It's tough deer hunting for sure.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #29
BlakeJ
Four Point

Was the boat ramp at blue west usable?
BlakeJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #30
jvela23
Spike

The boat ramp still wasn't usable when I left.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #31
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Quote:
I believe the no vehicles downstream passed Chicken Creek is referring to ATV traffic coming from Rosita. There used to be a fence at Chicken Creek that crossed the river but I don't know if it's still there or not. ATV'S aren't allowed east of Chicken Creek. The river crossing at Mullinaw basically gives you access to the roads that the oil and gas companies use on the north side of the river.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Oh ok cool deal. I bet fishanhunt is spot on that it is pretty busy during mulie season.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #32
BlakeJ
Four Point

Has the water gotten high enough to make its way in to Evans yet?
BlakeJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #33
jvela23
Spike

Nope, I'm not sure where it has been at in the past but Evans didn't have any water going into it. Although it wasn't to far away from the mouth.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #34
Dude Briggs
Six Point

I got a mulie spike, spotted and stalked to 42yds,with a group of 4 other mulies. Saw a ton of deer but the only good bucks we've seen we're at night while driving. I'm on top of a canyon glassing now, will post pics when I get back. Finally sealed the deal on public land mule deer... Now to find big daddy. I'll post pics soon
Old 10-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #35
JackRyan
Four Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
I got a mulie spike, spotted and stalked to 42yds,with a group of 4 other mulies. Saw a ton of deer but the only good bucks we've seen we're at night while driving. I'm on top of a canyon glassing now, will post pics when I get back. Finally sealed the deal on public land mule deer... Now to find big daddy. I'll post pics soon
Congrats on the mule deer, that's awesome!
Did you see many whitetail or just mule deer?

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
JackRyan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #36
Dude Briggs
Six Point

We never saw any whitetails but we were not looking for them. We have whitetails all over at home but have to drive almost 500miles to the mulies
Old 10-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #37
Hi-Lonesome
Four Point

Hunt In: TX Panhandle

This time of year it is hot or cool day to day. Also can be very windy day to day. The Lake has risen 4' or so in the past 3-4 week so no exposed shore line, only inundated vegetation. Mulies in the canyons and Whitetails on the river bottom with some overlap. If you want to hunt north of McBride boating in from Harbor bay would be a good option. Martins and Evans Canyon's are across from Harbor Bay's RR boat ramp. Those 2 canyons have no roads or trails that I am aware of so it will be extremely thick in there. The Mullinaw crossing is probably closed off due to the river running pretty good. Also Ute Lake in New Mexico is spilling over and they planning on a water release which will add a lot of volume to the already running river. Beware of Rattle snakes as well. I had a run in with a diamond back rattler as big around as my forearm out there. Turkey Creek trail on the east side of the lake has been flooded and is now unusable from Harbor bay area south.
Hi-Lonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #38
Hi-Lonesome
Four Point

I did see on IG a fellow that appeared to have mountain biked in on a trail and harvested a mule deer buck. They tied the carcass to bike and walked it out of there. I thought that was pretty funny.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #39
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

I'm hoping the lake keeps getting a little water. All that flooded vegetation makes for some fine duck hunting.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #40
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Lonesome View Post
I did see on IG a fellow that appeared to have mountain biked in on a trail and harvested a mule deer buck. They tied the carcass to bike and walked it out of there. I thought that was pretty funny.
Haha nice!! Whatever works I guess.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #41
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Has anyone or does anyone hunt the Bonita Creek Archery/Shotgun only area?
Old 10-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #42
Hi-Lonesome
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
I'm hoping the lake keeps getting a little water. All that flooded vegetation makes for some fine duck hunting.
https://www.facebook.com/lakemeredith/
Looks like they are about to open up Blue West boat Ramp!

http://meredith.uslakes.info/Level/

The lake usually trends upward late summer / fall. The water release from Ute should keep it rising. I read an article that stated the spill way at Ute has so much volume that a lot of the water coming off the spillway flooded outside of the river channel. They were going to waiting until that settled down then open the gates slightly to capture as much water as possible inside of the river channel. It take 4 days to reach Lake Meredith from Ute, about 106 miles or so.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #43
coldgas
Ten Point

It has come up 3 feet in the last week and I just read chicken creek is closed due to erosion from all of the water coming in. Good to see the lake coming back! Cant wait for the walleye fishing to come back also.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #44
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Gonna be some good duck hunting this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #45
jvela23
Spike

Quote:
Congrats on the mulie, I only wish I had more time or scouted before I went. I know I'll be back next year to try again for a mule deer. Also to Jackryan, I didn't see a single whitetail where I was at.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #46
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Lonesome View Post
https://www.facebook.com/lakemeredith/
Looks like they are about to open up Blue West boat Ramp!

http://meredith.uslakes.info/Level/

The lake usually trends upward late summer / fall. The water release from Ute should keep it rising. I read an article that stated the spill way at Ute has so much volume that a lot of the water coming off the spillway flooded outside of the river channel. They were going to waiting until that settled down then open the gates slightly to capture as much water as possible inside of the river channel. It take 4 days to reach Lake Meredith from Ute, about 106 miles or so.
That's crazy. I lived in Amarillo in 2014, remember riding my motorcycle up there and the only launch open was on Sanford Yake Road.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #47
Dude Briggs
Six Point

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...1&d=1507907180

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...283=1507907233
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #48
chastings77
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Lake Meredith, Crossbar

Congrats on filling that mule tag at meredith, respect for you, that is tough! is that at evans canyon? Will be out there this weekend.
chastings77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #49
Dude Briggs
Six Point

We had a great trip. We saw a ton of does and fawns and a couple of spikes. The bigger bucks were a mystery on this trip during the daylight. We spotted a group crossing the tops early in the morning from about 500 yards away and got the spotting scope out and verified there was a spike in the group so we followed them until getting busted by a close by mulie so we slowed down which caused us to loose the group with the spike, however we did have a good idea of where they were headed. We made our way and started glassing those canyons. From about 8am to 2:30 we didn't see much at all until my buddy spotted an ear in a bush at 300 yards... Upon closer inspection this was our spike! We watched for a lil while to see where the others were but they were just too buried up to spot. They were getting up and feeding in short periods and rebedding so we decided we needed to make a move on them. I stalked down to 60 yards from hand signals from my spotter. I could not see them but he put me in the perfect spot as we kept constant contact with one another. I sat down and waited them out for about an hour or so and he finally signaled they got up and I immediately spotted them slowly feeding towards me. I got my range finder on him at 42 yards, he slowly quartered towards me, I drew, picked a spot and settled my 40 yard pin and squeezed the trigger... As soon as it hit him I knew he was mine. I looked back and Justin yelled "YOU GOT HIM!!" He ran maybe 75 yards and crashed hard. It was just amazing. All the MILES of canyons we hiked over the years had finally paid off with a public land mule deer we got together. I couldn't have done it without him as this was a total team effort.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #50
Dude Briggs
Six Point

It wasn't Evans