Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 09-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #1
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba
Default Protests

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/d...tests-49922602

What are the facts in the Stockley/Smith case? I must have missed this one.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

The usual from what I understand. Judge and Jury came to a conclusion, people didn't like it. So they burnt down a bunch of stuff and stole some TVs.
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

From what I have read, prosecutors allege the officer planted the gun after he shot the guy. The officers fingerprints were on the gun and the dead guy's fingerprints were not. Also, during the pursuit the officer was recorded saying "I'm going to kill this MFer'" I do not know the rest of the story - what the defense presented.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
Bazo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
From what I have read, prosecutors allege the officer planted the gun after he shot the guy. The officers fingerprints were on the gun and the dead guy's fingerprints were not. Also, during the pursuit the officer was recorded saying "I'm going to kill this MFer'" I do not know the rest of the story - what the defense presented.
This is what I have read as well.
Bazo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 12:27 PM   #5
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: my birthday suit

I've had little experience with the news media but from what I know, they will embellish when prudent for their story or will lie to push an agenda. If these proclamations were recorded, why haven't we heard them? Reason being, strife is good for selling subscriptions and gaining viewers. A justifiable shooting and acquittal is boring nowadays. If these recordings exist, I believe the news media would be on it like coons on a corn feeder.
Livin'2hunt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #6
Bazo
Ten Point

They said what he said was taken out of context. From what I understand he said it while in the middle of a high speed pursuit.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #7
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

The recordings were played in court apparently - the defense maintains it was a "heat of the moment" thing he said during the pursuit. The defense must have had some convincing counter-evidence for him to be acquitted.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazo View Post
They said what he said was taken out of context. From what I understand he said it while in the middle of a high speed pursuit.
Is there one single guy on TBH that wouldn't say something like that if chasing someone on a high speed pursuit risking people's lives?
Old 09-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #9
J Sweet
Pope & Young

When in LE I was brought in for something similar. The arrest was text book. I was boarding a ship and we were assaulted at the top of the gangway which is a bad position to be in. The ship had dumped its oil cargo so was sitting high, a good 45 to 50 foot drop to the concrete or rocks below. Anyway guy was unharmed and cuffed while standing so never even dropped.

On the ride back I made the comment that I wanted to whoop his ***. Obviously I didn't as he was unscathed. Internal Affairs and everything came in for it, what a **** show. Bottom line is its not a crime to say what you would like to have done or want to do, only your actions matter in court.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #10
Bazo
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Is there one single guy on TBH that wouldn't say something like that if chasing someone on a high speed pursuit risking people's lives?
Nope. I'm sure everyone one in this site has said that about one person or another.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #11
DeerGhostSpeaks
Four Point

Hunt In: spiritworld

https://youtu.be/FmJk3V8Dsck

here is the police video and the bystander video they didnt know was being recorded. im not stickin up for the guy, because, he ran from the police. but the evidence doesnt look good for that cop, clearly went back to their police suv, went through a duffle bag, then sat in the driver seat after they pulled the guys body out of his vehicle. i read somewhere that the guys dna or fingerprints werent even on the gun supposedly found in the car, only the officers,(dont know how credible that is tho)
DeerGhostSpeaks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 08:50 PM   #12
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

It would suck to be a LEO these days. From the outset, the media did what they always do. They didn't post a pic if him slingin' drugs on the corner, they posted a pic of him with his angelic child.

I didn't see the cop pull a gun from a bag. What if the cop was retrieving latex gloves because of the blood? Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? What I saw was a career criminal commit two more felonies in trying to make his escape. Perhaps, he was on parole and a pistola under the seat meant another long stint in the penitentiary.

So, the cop's DNA was on the gun. With the temp my wife likes to keep my house, I sweat while combing my hair. That's not an adrenaline laden high speed pursuit. I bet the cop was sweating bullets. All it takes is a spec of sweat or saliva to find his DNA on anything. From what I'm seeing, there's no case for a bad shoot. Does it look good....not really but that's not illegal.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #13
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerGhostSpeaks View Post
https://youtu.be/FmJk3V8Dsck

here is the police video and the bystander video they didnt know was being recorded. im not stickin up for the guy, because, he ran from the police. but the evidence doesnt look good for that cop, clearly went back to their police suv, went through a duffle bag, then sat in the driver seat after they pulled the guys body out of his vehicle. i read somewhere that the guys dna or fingerprints werent even on the gun supposedly found in the car, only the officers,(dont know how credible that is tho)
Yeah, Im 100% pro LE but....... When messing with the bag it appears as if he positioned his body to block the camera view. At about 9:14 when he gets in the vehicle everyone appears to purposefully look away or walk away. Then as he exits and walks away he adjusts "himself" like maybe there had been something in his pants but now there isnt. Just speculation of course.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #14
DeerGhostSpeaks
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
Yeah, Im 100% pro LE but....... When messing with the bag it appears as if he positioned his body to block the camera view. At about 9:14 when he gets in the vehicle everyone appears to purposefully look away or walk away. Then as he exits and walks away he adjusts "himself" like maybe there had been something in his pants but now there isnt. Just speculation of course.

Brough it's been settled as fake news media hype already lol didn't you read that the cop was just overheated from the adrenaline and a little sweat or drool landed on the gun? And he sat down in the driver seat just to do normal cop stuff you know, the other cops just had other cop stuff to do, just because he said "we're killing this mf'er!" While chasing him and then he actually did doesn't mean anything, that's just the mind control don't be a victim of it!lol that LEO is innocent until proven guilty which makes him the judge, the jury, and the executioner right there on the spot! And that guy driving....they just showed the wrong picture of him on the news he's definitely guilty....he was guilty waaaay before he even got pulled over. With his record, im sure they would've treated him just like everyone else. The fact that they paid a 900k settlement to make the case go away means nothing either.

That was sarcasm.

After reading a little more on it, I found out the guy was a heroin dealer and they found some in the car. Having heroin addiction directly affect my family....I say **** that guy im glad he's off the streets.
But Leo's are not above the law, I'm glad they are there when/if I need them, but if there's no accountability for this kind of thing it's gonna make everyone fear them more than most already do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #15
DeerGhostSpeaks
Four Point

And ofcourse they use he wrong picture, how the hell are they supposed to get a picture of him actually dealing drugs? That would be evidence and the news probably wouldn't be able to have access to that especially if the city paid the family a few years ago to make the case go away.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #16
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Wow you sure flip flopped fast.

Look, nothing you mention is/was proof. Saying you want to kill someone doesn't mean you want to actually kill them. We all say stupid crap when in a situation. Heck 90% of TBH would be in prison for saying they would hang a thief if they caught them. Really think about that for a minute. YOU are on a high speed chase chasing a known heroin dealer. Lives are at risk (including yours) every second the chase goes on. I'm sure you would be singing Barney's I love you song though, right?

Cops should not be above the law. But at the same time career criminals should not be caught, tried, found guilty, sentenced and be let out 4,5,10 or more times either. No one should ever have an arrest record with 20 felonies.
I'm not saying the LEO did anything wrong, I don't know. But I'd sure still rather judge the drug dealer over the LEO.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #17
DeerGhostSpeaks
Four Point

"Flip flopped" I'm fine with that term because it means I'm not hard headed, i dug a little deeper and found something that changed a part of my view on the situation.
If only we could get flat-earthers and climate change deniers to flip flop.
I agree with you that adrenaline coulda judgement, but on top of saying what he said during he chase and following through with it that Leo also used his own personal weapon while on duty which is against the rules over there, how many strikes gotta happen before a cop can be labeled as a "bad apple" if 90% of doctors joke and say,"I'm killing this mf'er" and then one gets caught doing it with his own kitchen knife during a surgery should that be overlooked too?

I'd also rather lock up the drug dealer instead of the Leo but it depends on the drugs. Heroin,meth,oxycontin **** that's really hurting people yeah lock'em up. But if it's even possible for a guy to have 4,5,10 guilty verdicts and still be on the streets....I kinda see that as the system letting down the people. The system is civilized to death at that point for letting the guy go so many times, it becomes a game if they can get that many felonies and stay out of prison.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:45 PM   #18
stickerpatch59
Ten Point

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

i'm pretty sure the earth is round, but what is this "climate change" that you speak of?
is it the same climate change that brought about the end of the ice age? you know, the one where all the cavemen were running around in S.U.V.s and flying around in private jets? or is it the one we were told back in the 80's where we were all going to freeze to death due to global "cooling"?

i'm still not sure where this fits into this thread though.
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2017, 11:46 PM   #19
DeerGhostSpeaks
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
i'm pretty sure the earth is round, but what is this "climate change" that you speak of?

is it the same climate change that brought about the end of the ice age? you know, the one where all the cavemen were running around in S.U.V.s and flying around in private jets? or is it the one we were told back in the 80's where we were all going to freeze to death due to global "cooling"?

i'm still not sure where this fits into this thread though.

The end of the last ice age was likely brought about by a cataclysmic event. There's a lot of evidence now pointing to an asteroidal impact across North America and into the Atlantic, look up a guy named Randall Carlson (on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast if you really want a taste)

And if climate change is still a question to you, you might as well start negotiating with the flat earthers because y'all are just treadin water in the same river while everyone else is swimming by.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #20
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Quote:
The end of the last ice age was likely brought about by a cataclysmic event. There's a lot of evidence now pointing to an asteroidal impact across North America and into the Atlantic, look up a guy named Randall Carlson (on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast if you really want a taste)

And if climate change is still a question to you, you might as well start negotiating with the flat earthers because y'all are just treadin water in the same river while everyone else is swimming by.

Flat-Earthers, hard headed, treading water....these are the sort of thinly vailed insults people utilize to end debate about any subject when they can no longer carry on. If you had definitive proof, you would point to it and do so with exuberance while the rest of us nodded our heads in agreement. But alas, this is not the case.

Over the last forty years, the anti-capitalist left has tried numerous climate scams to hoodwink people and to profit from it with nary shred of sound evidence. Now, you cite one podcast that will supposedly blow this whole deal wide open? My skepticism lies in the irrefutable fact that the anti-capitalists have come up with three different apocalyptic scenarios in the last forty years because the prior one did not work as planned. Now, they go much more vague with "climate change" so, they can never be wrong. Yay!

By "climate change" are you saying, up to the Industrial Revolution, the climate has remained steadfast and unchanged over millions of years? It's us humans' fault with our tractors and SUV's? You see, I find it hard to swallow when charlatans have been peddling this crap for 40 years with no proof. It is a pyramid scheme and it's trendy to get in on the ground floor while it's still cool.

What happened to scientific skepticism? I'm glad you asked. When the gubmint throws huge grant after grant after grant at a scientist whom, whether you know or not, is in total control of said grant money, they spend the monies any way they deem fit as long as specified parameters are followed and they are permitted to keep the rest. Not to mention, 20% is theirs off the top just for playing along.

"Here is 12 million dollars to prove to us climate change exists. Have your findings back to us in two years." I would bring in three interns and one low-level lacky at $15 per hour and give them the results they're looking for. In the interim, I'd get paid for lectures, travel the globe and call people flat-Earthers that disagree with my "findings" because if I didn't take the money, the next guy would. See how it works? Good talk.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #21
Bazo
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
Flat-Earthers, hard headed, treading water....these are the sort of thinly vailed insults people utilize to end debate about any subject when they can no longer carry on. If you had definitive proof, you would point to it and do so with exuberance while the rest of us nodded our heads in agreement. But alas, this is not the case.

Over the last forty years, the anti-capitalist left has tried numerous climate scams to hoodwink people and to profit from it with nary shred of sound evidence. Now, you cite one podcast that will supposedly blow this whole deal wide open? My skepticism lies in the irrefutable fact that the anti-capitalists have come up with three different apocalyptic scenarios in the last forty years because the prior one did not work as planned. Now, they go much more vague with "climate change" so, they can never be wrong. Yay!

By "climate change" are you saying, up to the Industrial Revolution, the climate has remained steadfast and unchanged over millions of years? It's us humans' fault with our tractors and SUV's? You see, I find it hard to swallow when charlatans have been peddling this crap for 40 years with no proof. It is a pyramid scheme and it's trendy to get in on the ground floor while it's still cool.

What happened to scientific skepticism? I'm glad you asked. When the gubmint throws huge grant after grant after grant at a scientist whom, whether you know or not, is in total control of said grant money, they spend the monies any way they deem fit as long as specified parameters are followed and they are permitted to keep the rest. Not to mention, 20% is theirs off the top just for playing along.

"Here is 12 million dollars to prove to us climate change exists. Have your findings back to us in two years." I would bring in three interns and one low-level lacky at $15 per hour and give them the results they're looking for. In the interim, I'd get paid for lectures, travel the globe and call people flat-Earthers that disagree with my "findings" because if I didn't take the money, the next guy would. See how it works? Good talk.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #22
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:

You sir win the internet today!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #23
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by livin'2hunt View Post
flat-earthers, hard headed, treading water....these are the sort of thinly vailed insults people utilize to end debate about any subject when they can no longer carry on. If you had definitive proof, you would point to it and do so with exuberance while the rest of us nodded our heads in agreement. But alas, this is not the case.

By "climate change" are you saying, up to the industrial revolution, the climate has remained steadfast and unchanged over millions of years? It's us humans' fault with our tractors and suv's? You see, i find it hard to swallow when charlatans have been peddling this crap for 40 years with no proof. It is a pyramid scheme and it's trendy to get in on the ground floor while it's still cool.

"here is 12 million dollars to prove to us climate change exists. Have your findings back to us in two years." i would bring in three interns and one low-level lacky at $15 per hour and give them the results they're looking for. In the interim, i'd get paid for lectures, travel the globe and call people flat-earthers that disagree with my "findings" because if i didn't take the money, the next guy would. See how it works? Good talk.
Name:  images (3).jpg
Views: 204
Size:  8.1 KB
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #24
DeerGhostSpeaks
Four Point

I tried to respond but all that showed up was asterisks so I wrote this

Old 09-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #25
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Quote:

Likewise.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #26
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:

That's weird, generally when someone has an intelligent,well thought out rebuttal, they aren't required to resorting to curse words....

So cataclysmic event lead to the end of the ice age... that is highly plausible and likely. What ended the period before that? Does that trend indicate that the earth's atmosphere is inclined to adapt/change at semi regular intervals? Do we see other more micro examples of bio or eco attempts to achieve homeostasis in the world?
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #27
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
That's weird, generally when someone has an intelligent,well thought out rebuttal, they aren't required to resorting to curse words....

So cataclysmic event lead to the end of the ice age... that is highly plausible and likely. What ended the period before that? Does that trend indicate that the earth's atmosphere is inclined to adapt/change at semi regular intervals? Do we see other more micro examples of bio or eco attempts to achieve homeostasis in the world?

He was trying to use my own words against me to make some sort of point though, I was humorously referring to Bill Maher's condescending vomiting.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #28
DeerGhostSpeaks
Four Point

Quote:
He was trying to use my own words against me to make some sort of point though, I was humorously referring to Bill Maher's condescending vomiting.

As I yours good sir,

https://youtu.be/6VUPIX7yEOM

Old 09-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #29
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

LOOK! A rabbit going down a hole...
Old 09-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #30
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:

Old 09-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #31
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

DeerGhostSpeaks seems a bit ....familiar....
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #32
DeerGhostSpeaks
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post

How so
Old 09-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #33
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Almost like his bow is possible horizontal?
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #34
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
Almost like his bow is possible horizontal?
Maybe it launches bolts?
Old 09-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #35
systemnt
Pope & Young

Zactly.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #36
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
Maybe it launches bolts?
LOL

That that username get banned?
Old 09-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #37
DeerGhostSpeaks
Four Point

I guess y'all are saying I've had a SN on here before, lol na, I'm pretty new to this forum.
My bow is vertical and it launches fmj's
Old 09-22-2017, 07:36 AM   #38
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Before you get too bent out of shape before this one look at the history of the thing. Smith has several convictions for dealing heroin and illegally carrying firearms. This time he got caught with the heroin and gun would have been the 3rd strike. The charges were filed on the officer as a political move, he wasn't originally charged.

Keep these things in mind, then read the judges ruling where he explains everything. All this makes it pretty clear the verdict was correct. The feds also investigated this one and found no wrongdoing. They completed their investigation 4 months ago but didn't release their findings until the ongoing court case was over.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 08:34 AM   #39
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
I guess y'all are saying I've had a SN on here before, lol na, I'm pretty new to this forum.
Yea, and so far you haven't contributed much to the forum except pot stirring and agitation... likely you'll not be here long either... and likely not many will miss you when you're gone...
Old 09-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #40
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungbustr View Post
Before you get too bent out of shape before this one look at the history of the thing. Smith has several convictions for dealing heroin and illegally carrying firearms. This time he got caught with the heroin and gun would have been the 3rd strike. The charges were filed on the officer as a political move, he wasn't originally charged.

Keep these things in mind, then read the judges ruling where he explains everything. All this makes it pretty clear the verdict was correct. The feds also investigated this one and found no wrongdoing. They completed their investigation 4 months ago but didn't release their findings until the ongoing court case was over.
It's sad you don't see this on the news. All anyone sees is "Bad Cop!, Bad Cop!" over and over and over...Then once proven he was not bad all crickets or on to the next "Bad Cop!"

Media should stand up for what's right. Sorry pieces of crap.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #41
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Yea, and so far you haven't contributed much to the forum except pot stirring and agitation... likely you'll not be here long either... and likely not many will miss you when you're gone...

What did I miss?
Old 09-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #42
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
^^

Quote:
What did I miss?
Was who my post was directed to...
Old 09-22-2017, 09:36 AM   #43
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Quote:
^^

Was who my post was directed to...

I suppose I'm still too new to understand who y'all think he is/was.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #44
DeerGhostSpeaks
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungbustr View Post

My original post said I wasn't sticking up for him because he ran from the police, then my second post was after I read a little deeper and I said to hell with him I'm glad he's off the streets one less heroin dealer. I know my post sounds critical of the police but I believe if no one polices the police it will feed more and more fear towards them. When it comes to putting opiates on the public this guy got what he deserved and even the benefit of the doubt investigation was too much
Old 09-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #45
DeerGhostSpeaks
Four Point

Default Protests

Quote:

Yeah I'm coming to grips that the confirmation bias on this forum is staggering. If by stirring the pot you mean just sharing my opinion and that's what is agitating, then confirmation bias is what you'll have. Y'all are the ones breaking the rules of the forum not me, but it does say something like no more than 50% of your entire posts can be PACE so I'm gonna stay off here to stay around the actual bowhunting stuff. Me and A guy named texasfan might be the only two guys on here as voices of reason against an angry mob.

Not being missed here means nothing to me, I forgot why I joined this forum because I got caught up in this dark corner of TBH. I'm here to learn about bowhunting and discuss the areas I hunt in with guys more experienced than myself.
I'll see you in the spirit world brother
Old 09-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #46
systemnt
Pope & Young

Yeh... you are definitely familiar.
To the list.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #47
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
It's sad you don't see this on the news. All anyone sees is "Bad Cop!, Bad Cop!" over and over and over...Then once proven he was not bad all crickets or on to the next "Bad Cop!"

Media should stand up for what's right. Sorry pieces of crap.
Yeah it's pretty sad. I can show you plenty of cases right now of negligence of police officers and bad shootings that they haven't been held accountable for. But they don't fit the agenda.

These cases that the media keep pushing are trying to further the sham of black lives matter. However each case is that of a criminal doing criminal things which leads to their death. There really isn't much more to say about it than that.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #48
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

We just need a bunch more of this
https://www.facebook.com/grownmenstu...1529109096974/
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top