Re-bluing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-bluing

What does the GS suggest for re-bluing an older rifle. Done a little research and saw a kit called blue wonder and it seems okay, just looking for some input and advice.

These are two older rifles one is an Ithaca lsa 55 and the other is an old sako finnbear.

On board for the ride...

Following this thread.

I've got a old Marlin 30-30 that is so worn and shiny, it can catch enough sun to scare deer for miles. I've tried camo tape (comes undone and leaves sticky residue) and even plasti-dip (looks good but doesn't last).

Before I try doing a camo paint job...

I'd like to find something that has a flat sheen, is easy to apply, lasts forever and doesn't cost hardly anything. (Too tall an order? )

Comment

That blue wonder says it can do a matte blue if you let it set or something. If I figure out how to remove the sights from these rifles I'm planning on bluing them myself. Guess I'm gonna pull out the propane torch next week and try to remove the sights.

Will do some before and after pics and keep this one updated. (I've never worked on a gun before so this should get interesting)

Comment

Call the guys at Black-T coatings. Best rifle coating I have ever seen/used no question about it! I have done and seen duracoat/ ceracoat and other standard Bluing and this is the best coating I've ever seen. http://black-t.com/ I have my Ruger No.1 done in it and will be having my Rizzini TT25 comp O/U done shortly

Comment

Well changed my mind. Gonna have my local guy here in copperas cove cerakote it for me. He's gonna do another minor part on the guns too.

Comment

Contact Ike, he's doing cerakoting and quoted me an awesome price on a Ruger Hawkeye. I never realized it could be that cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by zac221 View Post
              Well changed my mind. Gonna have my local guy here in copperas cove cerakote it for me. He's gonna do another minor part on the guns too.
              Good decision--I've never found a D-I-Y blueing kit that I was happy with -- look OK at first, but just don't last.

Comment

I just completely refinished a Glenfield 60. I took it down to bare metal and used Brownell's Oxpho-Blue. Most important part is making sure the metal has be degreased and is oil free. I applied the bluing and then polished it with OOOO steel wool. I am happy with how it turned out and it looks just like the original bluing.

Comment

Well now, i'm back to bluing it myself just for the project and experimenting..... Never done it before and I went cheap buying this older rifle and want to keep it that way. If it were a synthetic stock rifle I really cared a lot for I would do cerakote it, but it's an old walnut stock and wanna keep it looking "older". If it does not work it'll be cerakoted then..

Comment

if you just plan on a patch use the cold blue..easy and blends good with steel wool

Comment

I used brownells oxpho blue. It was amazing!! Apply liquid, polish, apply liquid, polish. Repeat as many times needed to get the darkness you desire. It is very important to degrease and bring to bare metal. A vise and some small strips of wet/dry sand paper makes easy work of this. I did a 30/30 in about 2 nights after work. It went so smooth I would do it again in a heart beat

Comment

a tip also... get the barrel hot with a small propane torch just before u apply the blue and it will soak into the metal better...
                        not scalding but good n hot

Comment

how long does this process take from start to finish? Any before/after pics?

Comment

I have no idea on time, but the blue wonder kit seems easy enough and fairly quick. I'm going to be trying the birch wood Casey entire bluing kit. I'll take pics and have info on timing.

Comment

Originally posted by zac221 View Post
                              I have no idea on time, but the blue wonder kit seems easy enough and fairly quick. I'm going to be trying the birch wood Casey entire bluing kit. I'll take pics and have info on timing.

Don't do it!!!!!!!!! The bluing kit is garbage! It doesn't hold up well at all!! I used the kit for an HR topper. And you got what you paid for. The blueing was more of a purple instead of black. After I used the brownells stuff I will never go back. It looks like you spent the money for a hot blue. I did use the BC stock refinishing kit twice with great results

Comment

Working...
                              X