Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curse you Swirling Wind

Well Folks,
    I spent the morning out in my ground blind. I got in extra early, checked out the trail cam on the way in in then got settled in.
    The wind was up quite a bit so I wasn't sure what to expect. It didn't take long for the tone of the morning to be set. It seems the wind just couldn't settle on one particular direction and it had the deer skittish to say the least.
    Just as it was becoming light enough to make out shapes, I had a nice 3x3 come in from behind me, he started toward the feed area but wouldn't settle down at all. He was constantly jerking his head up and wouldn't even take a sniff or bite of anything. He stayed just long enough for me to reach for my bow and then was gone. He never seemed to visually or audibly bust me but maybe the swirling wind kept him too leary for my purposes.
    Next in were three nice does that crossed a field in front of me about 120 yards out. I watched them stop and go their way toward me but they stalled out about 40 yards and two tree rows away. The next site of them was the same three casually strolling back the way they had come.
    Not 30 minutes later a really nice 7 with tall tines moved across the path of the does. He headed the same direction that they had originally been going but never slowed down. He didn't seem interested in either the food plot or the does.
    I think this cured wind really has them just looking to bed down. I'm hoping it will settle a bit tomorrow. I spent the rest of my morning re-fletching beat up arrows and dreaming of another shot.
    Doc
Working...
X