Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Warwagon
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb County
Default The best place you've ever hunted?

I'm not talking about the most expensive or most prestigous ranch you've hunted on. Although that may be your best place to date, and if it is, that's great. What I'm talking about is the place with the most memories, the place where you learned how to be a better hunter every time you went to the stand. The place where the "bowhunting game" came together for you.

Currently I hunt in S. Texas on a 7800 acre ranch that is very well managed, I have waited for a spot on this place for atleast ten years. So I guess you could say this is my "dream lease". But it's not the best place I've ever hunted. For me, it was a little 125 acre cattle ranch in Madison County, about 2 miles NW of Madisonville. A buddy of mine started bringing me along when I was 14, his dad owned the ranch and knew nothing about bowhunting. He would drive us up there so we could hunt in the mornings and evenings and work cows and whatever else he could come up with in the afternoon. At 14 our bowhunting knowledge was very limited to say the least, heck we didn't even know you were supposed to cut your arrows. At full draw we had atleast a foot of arrow in front our rest, we still flung em though. We started out hunting with what I would consider today, horrible brush blinds and finally graduated to hanging lock-ons.

I hunted on that place from 14, til I was 29. The last 6 years, I had the place entirely to myself. My buddies parents had moved to Canada, and my buddy was busy hunting down at our current place in S. Texas. Besides he didn't want to mess with them little E.Texas deer. It really worked out well, his parents needed someone to take care of the place and my buddy was busy with work. So for a little tractor mowing and ranch work I got to hunt for free. The free part isn't what made it nice, I would have gladly paid whatever they wanted. What made it nice, was for a good while I had my own little hunting paradise.

The land was 50/50 pasture and wood lots, it had 3 stock tanks, that you just tear the bass up in, or you could sit on them and wear the doves and ducks out. The ranch was at the end of a road and for good many years hunting pressure was minimal. The place had a lot of deer and hogs so you always had a target rich environment. My wife killed her first deer there, my daughter fetched her first dove there at 2 years old and I got to share my last hunt with my Pap-paw on that place. I ran 2 feeders year around and would plant food plots, I had a lock-on at each feeder and 4-5 more scattered around on various game trails. If I got tired of hunting a feeder, I would change stands and hunt the trails. I don't know how many deer and hogs I killed, and I surely never killed any monsters, but man I always had a great time.

When my buddies parents returned home from Canada, they had kinda got the whole Cowboy/ranching thing out of there system. They ended up selling the ranch for about 200,000 more than they paid for it, I wish I could have bought it but I just didn't have the scratch. I mostly hunted that place by myself and when you do that, you lot of things the hard way. I know for sure that place made me a better hunter. I catch myself thinking about how simple hunting was for me back then, I wasn't sitting in a double bull scoring and aging, I was just hunting and I miss that.
Warwagon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
Xspot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Quanah

The state of Oregon. National forest land. Low pressure one lots of elk. Hundeds of square miles of public land! I miss it every day but will be back up there real soon. Hunted there for 14 years.
Xspot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
DrenalinJunkie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nebraska, Montgomery Co., Colorado Co.

My uncles farm in Nebraska....... not only do I get to hang with him for 2 weeks, I get to hunt in one of the most over looked big deer states there is free of charge.
DrenalinJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

My inlaws in ranch in Zavala County and our friends ranch in Greenwood Cnty Kansas. Everytime I hunt the thought of knowing that a monster is could step out will keep your attention. If I had to choose Kansas would get the nod.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
silentdeath
Six Point

Hunt In: Morton County, Ks & Haskell County, Tx

I got to hunt a pristine 286,000 acres from 1991 until I graduated in 1998. I was 15 minutes max from my favorite dove, quail, and pheasant holes. I have ahd the opprtunity since I moved away to return and take a 5x5 Muley and a little forkhorn white tail. Kicker here is all this property was PUBLIC, therefore free for me to hunt, fish, camp, etc. on. ANd believe me I spent more time on those Kansas Grasslands that I can remember. Best part of it, I got to hunt with my father every week(end) during the season and my best friend and I still return there yearly to hunt together. Love that Lifetime.
silentdeath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Ed Cox's ranch in Athens. 10k acres under high fence. We almost ran over a 200 class buck on the way in from hunting. Wow! I have never seen deer like that anywhere.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
duck'n
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco and Hidalgo Counties

My buddies ranch south of Lometa on the Colorado River. River frontage, three "wet" creeks, deep canyons, flats...oh and deer, turkey, hogs, and fishing. We always have said if one of us hits the lottery we will buy it, high fence it, and as they are setting the last panel of high fence we will wave good bye from the inside.

I also hunted greenheads along the Kansas River last year, outside of Manhattan and that was absolutely stunning. Watching the green drop in from the sky, highlighted by the snow covered banks...AMAZING!
duck'n is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
JSAPP
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca Co.

When I was in highschool my dad got us on a 2000 acre lease about 10 miles from the house. Soon after we got on my runnin buddy(and fellow TBH'er) talked his dad into getting on as well. We spent almost all of our time out there chasin anything from deer and hogs to coons and squirrel. I know that lease kept us out of alot of trouble. Instead of running around town being stupid kids, we were out in the woods being stupid kids. We weren't trophy hunters but did learn alot about hunting and the outdoors from the time spent out there. The sad thing is I think it cost about $600 per family to be on that lease. Now my son is getting old enough to hunt and I want him to have a place to go, but I am spending much more for alot less acerage.
JSAPP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Ricky T
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity Riverbottom

Great story, Warwagon. Some of us get hung up in the natural progression of a hunter at the "horn" stage. I know I did. I still slobber at times. The place I'm on now has a lot of deer. Top end would probably hit mid 140s. I love it.

I cut my teeth bowhunting in East Texas; mosquitos, mud and two year old houdini deer. The first good lease I was on was a 12,000 acre timber company lease that was covered in white oaks and deer in the mid 1980s. Timber company gradually cut all the hardwoods and left a big pine plantation. Most of the deer got killed off or left. I learned a lot, though. I still sometimes miss sitting in a big ole hickory tree with the smell of honeysuckle in the evenings. Probably not enough to hunt back there, though. Thanks again for the post.
Ricky T is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
boss bowman
Banned!!!

I've been on several leases all over north texas, as well as some youth hunts in deep south texas and the hill country, but the best place I've ever hunted without a doubt would be a piece of public land, matador WMA. I was lucky enough to draw a hunt there years back and the place is amazing, everything from hardwoods to canyon. Book class mule deer and whitetail deer as well as hybrids species between the two. We glassed some muley bucks up in the canyons that were just jaw dropping big.
boss bowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #11
dennisomfs
Eight Point

fishin dude...you're right about Ed's ranch being a beautiful thing...his management practices insured great deer! Jack Brittingham's ranch near Athens is the same......but for me, one of the most memorable times was while I was in college with a room-mate whose dad was foreman of the 50K Grey Estate Ranch near Vinton,La. We had run of the place and killed so many ducks and geese that our college freezers were always full. Deer etc. were secondary to the never-ending duck/goose hunts. We also moved cattle over the intercoastal waterway by roping the calves, putting them in pirogues, then pushing the cows across. We'd ride down into the red grass marsh and often kill so many geese, we'd have to walk the horses out!.....for bowhunting, Q/L caribou in Canada, bears in Alberta, and elk in Chama NM are my all time favorites with great memories and skills learned and improved upon with each trip....
dennisomfs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
justin156bc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co.

#1 My family ranch in Bosque county, I killed my first deer there and it will always be my first choice of were I want to hunt. I also killed my first deer with my bow there. I cant say enough about how I much I love that place.

#2 Growing up we had a lease that was 6000 acres just west of Abilene. After about 5-6 years we got off the lease, due to my dad not wanting to drive that far. So when I was 19 I got back on it. I love that place had great deer and lots of turkey. I killed my biggest buck there 156 3/8. Had the place leased out from under.

Good Memories.
justin156bc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #13
Venado Bonito
Four Point

Definitely Mexico.. I hunted there until I was 12. My dad was in charge of 12,000 acres so I was down there about every weekend. I never killed any monster bucks but it was definitely the best memories I can recall. I remember when I was 7 I found the first arrowhead on the ranch.. after that we looked every weekend we were down there. We now have a collection of about 1500
Venado Bonito is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #14
Jaspro
Pope & Young

No way I could narrow it down to just one property. I have hunted way to many different places and each one holds its own unique lessons and memories.

Nicest property would easily be with Aironeout in Tilden.

Can't miss hunt would be our Muley hunt in December.

Best group hunt would be at the Lewis in July.

Most sentimental would be back home with my grandparents.
Jaspro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #15
prkchp
Pope & Young

When I was a kid my grandpa used to lease a spot of land about 3 miles up the road from his house. It was about 2000 acres and was loaded with deer, big deer. It's too bad I, and all of my family were not smart enough, or just did'nt realise what kind of place it was, we just shot the first buck that came out. We killed lots of deer off that place, and had a ton of great times and come to think of it, I really don't care that we did'nt know anything about hunting big deer.
Only thing that leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the place is that my grandpa leased the place for 40 years and out of the blue, got kicked off because a couple of guys leased it for 50 cents more an acre and we never got a chance to match it.
prkchp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #16
txnduckhntr
Banned!!!

Hunt In: smiley/gonzales county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Ed Cox's ranch in Athens. 10k acres under high fence. We almost ran over a 200 class buck on the way in from hunting. Wow! I have never seen deer like that anywhere.
x2 on cox's. never hunted bucks there, but killed my share of ddoes when i worked there. Catfish has some huge bucks, i mean HUGE
txnduckhntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #17
scubasteven25
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas and New Mexico

The 60K acre ranch here in central New Mexico where I go mule deer hunting annually. It is owned by my best friends' family and it sure gets me excited. When the season ends I am already starting to plan ahead for the next season because there is that much anticipation.

Running a close second is a deer lease my Dad, uncle, brother and I hunted many years ago near San Isidro, Texas. It was a small place, I believe only 250 acres or so, but man those deer were huge. It bordered the large McCook Ranch on 2 sides and some very large deer would come from that place. It was not uncommon to see 150" deer on our small place. I can still remember a large deer we watched at the edge of the fog one morning and never got a shot. That image will always be in mind as we could see what appeared to be a large deer with a large typical frame just at the edge of the fog for a few moments then it disappeared forever.
scubasteven25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #18
bowd up
Eight Point

Hunt In: morris and red river county

any where me and my dad hunted really miss thoughs days
bowd up is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #19
thearrower
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion County /Plus...

I think the place I would have to say is 5500 acres in Schleicher County that I have been priviledged to hunt for 38 years. This place has been the most stable thing in my life. Sometimes ..... good deer. Sometimes ......not so good. Not very well managed because lease members constantly change and most have different priorities than trying to grow the really big ones. Most deer get harvested too young.

However, I would also have to say that I learn something almost every hunt I get to go on ......for any animal .....and in any state. I don't think the learning curve ever ends when it comes to bowhunting.
thearrower is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #20
whackem and stackem
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, Mid-west, all over

Iowa then Kansas as far as big bucks go. Illinois is right there with them. Colorado for high country muleys.
whackem and stackem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #21
Bullfrog90
Eight Point

When I was a kid we had a lease outside of Water Valley, it had a little cabin on it with a creek just outside door. Some of my fondest memories were from there, we left that place in 82. Fast foward to 1993 me and a co-worker were talking hunting one day. He tells me were his lease was I told him we hunted the same area when I was a kid. He takes me to his lease to do a little dove hunting low and behold it is right across the road from our old lease. The same family owned both sides, he took me over to see the old place it hadn't changed a bit. I got a little emotional thinking about the times spent with my dad, papaw and uncles.
Bullfrog90 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #22
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

sweet little place in Belmont, Tx. I just loved everything about this place and it was my buddies dads place. This was our annual hunt when we were on leave from USCG and other gvernment jobs. It was always very anticcipated and we woke hungover nearly every morning.
hoythunter02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #23
J-J Matt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Donley, Collingsworth, and Gray Counties. ND, NM, KS

My grandad leased a quarter section in Wheeler Co. that I learned what this bowhunting thing was all about. I've been outsmarted, winded, and busted in anyway you can on that place. I have truly learned how to be a hunter there. My grandad passed away in April of this year, and this will be my last year on the place. I really hope I can bring it together and maybe score a good buck there.
J-J Matt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #24
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

Okanogan National Forest - Washington State. 1 million acres of public land, mixed with high country, low country, cut-throat trout in natural clear water lakes...butts up against Canada where the Elk and Mule deer migrate down for the winter. Freaking awesome country, wolves, bear, lynx, eagle and cougar. You drive on a one lane, extremely primitive logging road.....sheer hairpin turns, drops over 800-1000ft.....huge hardwood forests....mountains....granite....snow....alpine meadows. Unbelievable country. The logging road just circles some of it....you have to hike or horseback to really BREAK OUT and hunt it.

Kodiak Alaska.....Juneau Alaska.....Olympic National Forest Washington State....they all roll up into the ultimate outdoor hunting experience for me.

I'm a glutton for hunting regions that not only have awesome terrain...but have awesome critters and awesome fishing all rolled up within the experience. Places that can kill you if you don't have your crap together....no feeders...no fences...no people....no cell phone...partial GPS....the real frontier. Not many places left like this and I've been blessed to experience some of them.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 05-28-2009 at 10:38 PM.
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #25
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County
Default Canada..

Northwest Territories to be exact. Sheep and caribou on a 10 day backpack hunt. I'd do ot again in a heartbeat if I could.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #26
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land
Default Big Thicket

We grew up in the 60's hunting between Sour Lake and Kountze in the Big Thicket.

Everybody ran deer with dogs back then and there were no fences. We'd roam wherever, running with the hounds, and chasing anything that would run from us.

Started bowhunting in the early 70's and it was really a learning experience to hunt scrapes and rub lines instead of hoping you'd have a hound run a buck by you.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #27
KUJays
Six Point

Hunt In: Brown and Hopkins County

Lake Fork, where I 1st started duck hunting. Alot of good times.
KUJays is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 11:26 PM   #28
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Too many to list. Particularly in the case of duck hunting and dove hunting.

But groups of 50-100 mallards dropping in the flooded timber for 3 hours will make a man put that place near the top...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #29
twigflipper
Eight Point

I would have to say the Chippewa National Forest in northern Minnesota. The only part that I realy don't miss is hunting in -20 to -40
Mike
twigflipper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #30
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

Okanogan National Forest

Juneau

Ketchikan

Olympic National Forest

AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #31
Rotag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Grandpas blind
Rotag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #32
bltiger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Culpeper/Madison County Virginia and Duval County, TX

My uncle and his brother and sister just sold their family ranch in Kenedy County that had been in the family for 100 years. We used to go out there when I was younger and it's was the neatest ranch I'd ever been on. The amount of mature bucks running around the place was incredible. It was next to the Kenedy Family ranch and the 100,000 acres that my uncle's ranch bordered was not hunted. Truly a magnificent place! Sad part is that the guy that bought the place said it was going to be his final ranch and all he wanted to really do is flip it, here's the listing for the ranch right here:

http://www.landsoftexas.com/texas/in...&INV_ID=244489

The family farm in Virginia is quickly becoming my new favorite place, 4600 acres of true beauty!!!
bltiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #33
predatoraddct
Eight Point

Hunt In: PA, TX

Hate to be so vague, but its anywhere in Texas for me.
predatoraddct is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #34
Eric Pence
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Deer Hunting- South of Sonora Texas
Goose Hunting- Dumas Texas
Dove Hunting- Quannah Texas
Duck Hunting - Clyde Texas
General All-Around fun lease-Lampasas Texas
Eric Pence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #35
Hawkins
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young & Jack county

Probably our old 2000 acre lease in Throckmorton County, where it was me, my brother and dad. About 5 adult lease members, they were some good hunters, my first introduction to bowhunting. I remember one big fella out there, had an old compound bow set on 103lbs. My dad couldn't even budge it. One of the guys took me and my brother to kill our first deer ever, seemed he got a bigger thrill out of being there helping us than hunting for hisself.

Second would have to be, varmint hunting with my brother and 2 best friends for 24 hours straight. Being in some awesome bobcat country, where you pull into thousands of acres, go in the gate at sundown and not see any pavement til about 12 hours later after driving through it all night.
Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #36
BuckAssassin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, Oregon, Colorado, South Caroloina, Texas

We lived on 590 acres in south central OK. Lots of ponds and lots of deer.

I watched my brother FREAK out and shoot a stuffed-animal-opposum. We had it wired in a tree and spot-lighted it. He was in from CA, and really wanted to kill something so we let him......ha!

We lived there only 3 years, but made a lot of memories and smoked some big bucks and caught some good bass.

173 2/8
154 7/8
134 5/8
141 2/8

plus a LOT of other culls besides these

Last edited by BuckAssassin; 05-29-2009 at 09:03 AM.
BuckAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #37
Feederwatcher
Eight Point

I hunted for about 4 years on a lease in Cordele. Lots of deer, hogs, ducks, geese, coyote and an occasional timber rattler.

It was 6000 ac. half oak timber and half rice fields........ponds, creeks, and errigation canals.

Had alot of good times there, but as so often happens the owners were fairly disfunctional and it became too much hastle to ignore.

FW
Feederwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 09:23 AM   #38
kurt68
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montgomery Co. and Rocksprings and "H"

The magical place south of the Red River and north of Dallas. God that place is awesome!
kurt68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #39
Alaskan
Eight Point

North Admiralty Island in Alaska. There are plenty of deer to go along with the challenge of avoiding all the brown bear. The scenery is also pretty killer.
Alaskan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #40
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Buffalo County Wisconsin. Really miss hunting after a fresh snow but not the below zero temps.
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #41
coop2564
Ten Point

Hunt In: STX, E. Texas and Louisiana!

1000 ac in bandera co hunted their 10yrs while I was growing as a hunter. Lots of game and good times.
coop2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #42
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Yukon Territory and our ranch in Wilbarger county.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #43
fishdog
Ten Point

my family ranch in central california. its on a river and almost boarders the back side of a lake. funny thing is after i was about 18 there was nothing there i really wanted to hunt, and now it seems like all that i want to hunt is back in california.
fishdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #44
Berretta Man
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bell Co. Where ever invited

The place I hunt now. It is small and the deer are nothing special. Most big time deer hunters would laugh at it. But it is mine, I own it. And the times spent with my father, son, and grand kids are so special. And the special lady that partners in everything I do. It isn't always about the deer. Sometimes they are just the reason.
Berretta Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #45
Codie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties

9,000 acre Shackleford Cnty. ranch bordered on the North and West Side by the Clear Fork of the Brazos about 10 miles NorthEast of Albany Tx. It is my best freinds families cattle ranch. We hunted pretty much every weekend of the hunting season from the time we were 13 until we graduated high school together. Once we went off to seperate colleges and are both now out in the real world we try to make it a point to meet up about twice a season for a weekend hunt. That is where we both learned to bowhunt on our own (trial and error) Learned a lot from watching Monster Bucks videos OVER & OVER at the ranch house when we were not hunting. I have killed 37 animals with my bow, and 30 of them (deer, pigs, turkeys) came off of this ranch. My first when I was 15 years old. Without a doubt, MOST of my hunting memories came from this ranch and I could not thank my best freind and his family enough for allowing those opportunities.
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #46
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

I hunted on 6-18,000 acres of the Chilipitin ranch in Maverick county for 12 years. That was the most fun I have ever had. We didn't know much about management, but tried to age deer hoping they would get better. The real fun was having a great group of guys to hunt with, have hog bow contests with, fish, shoot ducks, slingshots, hut arrowheads, you name it.

I really miss that place. It's never the same once you own a ranch, even with the same people.
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #47
rockco222
Ten Point

Hunt In: South of san saba by Bend.

Day lease in george west growing up.
rockco222 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #48
DXTroughneck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone and High Fences

Alease the family had in Lampasas. No monsters but tons of deer. I first got on it when i was seven and stay till i was 20. then the landowner, which we had cooked and done so much cattle work and fence work, shot the price up $1000 more per hunter a year cause the lady next door did. It was me my dad, my uncle, and my grandpa. Lots of memories happened there. All my cousins shot there first deer there. Spent many hours in those cedar thickets.
DXTroughneck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #49
JRL
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ezzell

Cometa, Tx - magical place for me
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #50
Late Starter
Four Point

Hunt In: western Edwards Plateau

Reading these hunting tales of yesteryear ... I can hear the coyotes yip and smell the mesquite campfire crackling at our feet.

Thanks for sharing your memories. Until this autumn, they will have to tide us over.
Late Starter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top