Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
thedosranchhand
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can!
Default How much for a proven blood trailing dog?

Just wondering how much a proven blood trailing dog? I do not care what breed the dog is. Im not looking for a champion trailing dog, just something young and has the general idea of what it needs to be doing. Something I can work with without having to start from scratch. I know thats alot to ask, but I was just wondering if yall had any ideas.
thedosranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

IMO I would stay away from scent hounds unless you are willing to hold on to a lead and be drug through thorns and cactus in the dark (I presently own 2 hounds that are no coon chasin, biscuit eatin, sleeping on the couch, good buddies of mine). I would recommend a "tough breed" of upland bird/game dog. They train easy to hunt with you rather than the mad dash and can be called off when needed. Wirehaired Griffon, German Wirehaired (see my avatar), Lab....... Like I said, it's only my opinion.
Good luck
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
hillcountryhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells County

Actually I would go the complete opposite of what the previous poster mentioned. I would go with a hound or cur dog. Depending on what type of terrain you are hunting you can have a good handle on your dog and still be able to turn them loose and have them go on the trail with you following behind. There are many good cur dog breeds out there just depending on what you want. You arent going to find many proven blood tracking dogs for sale out there without paying a pretty penny for them. If it were me I would find a breeder that is raising dogs with blood tracking lines and get a puppy. If the puppy s worth its salt it will have the instinct and will just take alittle direction to get started. Once they have the general idea it is just a matter of keeping them going. I personally use a Blue Lacy and she does great both on and off lead. I use her both in the hill country and south texas .
hillcountryhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
Jerryg
Ten Point

sent you pm..

Jerryg
Jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
ckuehl
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk and Tyler Counties

Jerryg That is a good question. Not to HIghjack his page. Please send updates!
ckuehl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 01:06 AM   #6
Kevin Breaux
Eight Point

Hunt In: Fort Hood and surrounding areas

If there is a person on God's green earth willing to let go of a (trained) tracking dog, I would think twice about the purchase. Now on the other hand, if they are looking to give a dog a home that they do not need, that is another story. Bottom line, no one will sell a (trained) tracking dog, they are worth their weight in gold. MO
Kevin Breaux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 06:35 AM   #7
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I think you would have better luck finding a dog as a pup that comes from a tracking family. I don't see many finished dogs for sale. You could probably get one that has been started (blood trailed to a food bowl or treat). You can do this yourself after you have had the dog for a week or two and be at the same place.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
allenwm26m
Four Point

Hunt In: Young, Palo Pinto,Hardeman Co.

Check out Abney Canine Training or Abney Catahoulas. I believe he gets $1000 for traing your pup for six weeks. So that should give you an idea of what a proven dog is worth.
allenwm26m is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
trad"Doc"53
Pope & Young

Hunt In: None at Present

Just be ware!! I had my Jack Russell sold for 3500.00 one time as a world champ hog dog. Problem is, she was a hell of a frog dog, no hog dog. Had no clue I was that good of a salesman. No I didn't do that to the guy!!! He still liked her. I would be catious while looking for sure! My friend purchased a Black Mouth Cur Catohula (close to that I'm sure) pup to train for blood trailing hogs and she was coming along very nicely.
trad"Doc"53 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
DrenalinJunkie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nebraska, Montgomery Co., Colorado Co.

I would rather start from scratch. That way I KNOW what I am getting. Like mentioned above, I would be very suspect of someone selling a finished dog.
DrenalinJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
holepuncher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County

What Kevin B. said. Buy a pup that way you can catch up to them. A pup from tracking blood will know more from natural instinct at 8 weeks of age than you ever will. instinct versus learned. JMO
holepuncher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
axisbuck24
Pope & Young

There are some blue lacy pups for sale in the classifieds you might want to inquire on.
axisbuck24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #13
old goat
Six Point

Hunt In: west tx,new mexico,colo

get John Jeanneney book, Tracking Dogs for finding Woounded Deer, decide if you want to trail on leash or lose/ tracking collar. I been around this going on 60 yr and the one breed that fits me best is the borader collie, get a pup, trail he yourself and you have a friend for life. Currenty i have a bule lacy and jagd terrier, the lacy just lost interest at about 2yr, the jagd is great but will get carried away without ecollar to control her, run into any hogs and she is gone.
old goat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #14
DrenalinJunkie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nebraska, Montgomery Co., Colorado Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old goat View Post
get John Jeanneney book, Tracking Dogs for finding Wounded Deer, decide if you want to trail on leash or lose/ tracking collar. I been around this going on 60 yr and the one breed that fits me best is the borader collie, get a pup, trail he yourself and you have a friend for life. Currenty i have a bule lacy and jagd terrier, the lacy just lost interest at about 2yr, the jagd is great but will get carried away without ecollar to control her, run into any hogs and she is gone.
excellent book! I have a copy myself.

I was also looking into the Jag D myself..... still have not made up my mind on the breed I will go with.
DrenalinJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #15
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Catahoulas make VERY good tracking dogs...
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #16
cantexduck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over central Texas

I sold a young dog(1.5y/o) pretty cheap. She has the ground work done ,decent handle. Just needed to be put on more live tracks. I found great new owners for her. I just hope she is still doing good in thre blood department.
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #17
axisbuck24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantexduck View Post
I sold a young dog(1.5y/o) pretty cheap. She has the ground work done ,decent handle. Just needed to be put on more live tracks. I found great new owners for her. I just hope she is still doing good in thre blood department.
She is still doing great job during the off season finding her mock trails and is anxiously awaiting this hunting season.
axisbuck24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #18
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

I have known Abney for 20+ years and if he was across the street on fire I would not bother to walk over there to **** on him and put him out.

I started raising catahoulas in the 80's. They are great dogs but for blood trailing I use dachshund's. My catahoulas would leave the country where my dachshunds work nice and slow so I can keep up without problems.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #19
old goat
Six Point

Hunt In: west tx,new mexico,colo

the jagd are pretty pircyy, i've had 2 lost one nearly killed me still have one, i am looking for a jack that has some size to her i think they might be a cheaper. The boarder collie is still the greatest personal companion and hunting dog, don't look for a high dollar working dog just a good blood line dog.
old goat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #20
Jerryg
Ten Point

Right now we (me and my partner) have a total of 6 blood tracking dogs. Two are finished dogs, one is 12 years old, one is 3.5 years old. Another has been tracking for 3 years and I would consider started finished. Two are started and have one year under their belt and have been on over 25 deer each and live ones also. We do have one for sale and it is a 3 yr old Lacy. I agree with Kevin that if someone is trying to sell you a finished dog I would watch out. I have been offered alot.....alot for my dog 3 year old finished Lacy and it is still in my kennel. Why....he is worth more in my hands.

Jerryg
Jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #21
allenwm26m
Four Point

Hunt In: Young, Palo Pinto,Hardeman Co.

Personal opinion, but I believe any pup raised by you and trained by you will be more likely to want to please you then a two or three year old that someone else has raised and trained. The first year of their life is where you make all the impressions on them. I don't think that my Catahoula tracking dogs would trail for anybody else. They are my hunting partners for life and my babysitter, mother hen, for my two year old also. Again BEWARE of finished dogs because you never know anything about how they were raised.
allenwm26m is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #22
Late Starter
Four Point

Hunt In: western Edwards Plateau

Over time, I've seen most of the famous long-legged, Brush Country trailing hounds in action. One of the best blood dogs I ever saw was not a blue Lacy or a catahoula, but a Lab. This animal was brought to the King Ranch for a youth outing by the owner of a bow shop in Beaumont. The dog, a female, was athletic as a decathlete, totally without fear and a fine road companion on hunting trips. If she could cook, I would have proposed.
Late Starter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 09:25 PM   #23
Countryrnchr
Four Point

I would have to agree. Our lab has done an amazing job at tracking deer starting at before she was even a year old.
Countryrnchr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #24
live2hunt65
Pope & Young

Hunt In: ANY WHERE I CAN
Default blood trail dogs

i and a buddy use mt curs they do real good .i have 2 pups i started to work blood trails they doing real good
live2hunt65 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 11:07 PM   #25
Kdub
Ten Point

my blue lacy is not for sale. If your interested in buying a kid instead, we might can work something out lol.
Kdub is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top