Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
B4RANCH
Eight Point

Hunt In: Huntless currently!
Default little kids 4 wheeler info needed

guys looking to buy my 4 year old a 4 wheeler for his b-day ......now before i get the "he is to little for one spill" .....he is a little tuffer than your average 4 year old ...he's already has worn out the battery powered ride ...so its time to upgrade ........i need to know a dealer in or around the houston area....suggestions from the tbh brains on size, make , kill swicthes, teather, experiences.. etc ......and also the best price yall have found ......and yes he will have a helmet
B4RANCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Size Matters
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction

I have been through a few of those japanese four wheelers. I don't recommend them unless you are willing to work on them i.e. carbs.. They are definetly priced right around 400 bucks.. If you keep them stored inside then it will extend there life substantially... The rust and sqeek but you don't have to worry about loosing alot when he runs it off in the ditch and bury's it in water. The only other advice I have is if you don't have a farm tax ID Highlands over on the east side of town will sell you one tax exempt. Again the small name brands have the same reputation as there bigger brothers but buying new there over 1500.00 .
Size Matters is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
B4RANCH
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Size Matters View Post
I have been through a few of those japanese four wheelers. I don't recommend them unless you are willing to work on them i.e. carbs.. .
are they strait gas ....or do you have to use mixed fuel?
Old 07-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
bowhuntingw
Ten Point

stay away from the chinese offbrands. got one for my son when he was 7 and wouldn't start on x-mas morning. luckly got my money back went ahead, bit the bullet, got him a yamaha grizzly 80. kind of pricey, but its perfect for him. just change the oil and spark plug once a year and clean the air filter. he will outgrow it way before it wears out.
bowhuntingw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Roy D Mercer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell and Rusk County

If you want something that will last forever and a day go with a Yamaha or Honda. Most of these small units have a throttle regulator. If you are looking at saving a few bucks for decent quality you might look unto an artic cat. I think they make a 50cc.
Roy D Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Diamond-BT
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4RANCH View Post
are they strait gas ....or do you have to use mixed fuel?

4 stroke so strait gas.
Diamond-BT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
bowtechhunter
Eight Point

Don't get one of the cheap built Chinese 4 wheelers unless you have a welder and enjoy working on it ever time they ride it.
bowtechhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
quickstrike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Missiouri, Colorado, Texas

stick with the name brands chinese stuff is too much hassle.
quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
GR5
Ten Point

I was told by a State Trooper yesterday evening that come Sept 1st it will be illegal for any child 4 years old or younger to get on an ATV of any kind. Seemed like he knew what he was talking about. i asked him if they had set an old age limit
GR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #10
AZ&F'sDaddy
Eight Point

We've had a Polaris 50 for a few years. It's been lots of trouble. Our 7 y.o. just rode it all last week for miles in Colorado last week. Tried to start it tonight and it wouldn't start. We've also got a Polaris 90. Has also had lots of problems. I would look to see if Honda has a 50 before getting another Polaris. We have a Honda 250 that has been nothing but reliable.

Also: HELMET! NO EXCEPTIONS!
AZ&F'sDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX

Buy him the best helmet you can afford. I don't ride ATVs but my humble opinion is that he's too young to have the experience to be ready for a problem and injury. I pray he enjoys it and is always safe.

My 2 cents, please take them in a positive manner.
Bill in San Jose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

I thought they passed a law earlier this year outlawing youth four wheelers due to them containing lead (the battery) I saw a report on the tyler news to that effect
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
B4RANCH
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
Buy him the best helmet you can afford. I don't ride ATVs but my humble opinion is that he's too young to have the experience to be ready for a problem and injury. I pray he enjoys it and is always safe.

My 2 cents, please take them in a positive manner.
bill i put your 2 cents in my pocket .......helmet is a for sure ........you have to understand that he is well versed in being a boy ....he mutton busts( rides sheep) , he already has won a buckle, he rides his own horses and has been on a battery powered 4 wheeler for over a year now , he can also ride ny 700 with me and work the throttle and such , he is a very smart 4 year old !!!! it sometimes scary how smart ......anyhow he is never unsupervised and im looking for the 4 wheelers that have the governor to turn it down to a safe and managable speed ....they also have ones with a remote kill and a tether ........thanks for the prayers......its cool
Old 07-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land

We had a 50+ year old soil scientist (ex-military) killed on the job when he was idling down a slope. The 4 wheeler flipped and the rear wheel landed on his neck killing him instantly. He had a helmet on with an ATV Safety Institute training certificate in his wallet.

If he ever gets hurt you won't be able to forgive yourself. They learn quick how to adjust the one screw it takes to turn the speed up. Boys are naturally fearless.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
Late Starter
Four Point

Hunt In: western Edwards Plateau

Please tell me you're kidding. A 4-year-old on a 4-wheeler?

If your youngster gets hurt riding an off-road machine -- and it's quite possible, even likely -- you could face the spectre of Child Protective Services. Then there's your own guilt.

When this child gets to kindergarten, will you have him lined up for a Harley?

Come to your senses, lad.
Late Starter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #16
mboltm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

I think each child has to be looked at individually, I think if he can handle it, let him ride. Nobody wants to see their kid get hurt, I know some pretty young ones doing things that teenagers aren't doing and others are not. People mature at different rates. Just make him understand the rules of riding and make it as safe as possible for him. Good luck
mboltm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #17
Diamond-BT
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba

I agree with mboltm 100%....Some of the small gas 4 wheelers with the throttle limiter don't go any fater than a electirc power wheels 4 wheeler the binifit is you just pour gas in instead of having to charge the bettery after an hour of riding. If the young man is riding on level ground, with the throttle limited, supervised with a remote kill switch I see no probelm. Some times you have to let your kids be kids. No mater what toy they are playing with I am sure that some child some where has been hurt by it...You just have to teach them well, supervise as much as possible, and let them learn and grow...
Diamond-BT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #18
DamonJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboltm View Post
I think each child has to be looked at individually, I think if he can handle it, let him ride. Nobody wants to see their kid get hurt, I know some pretty young ones doing things that teenagers aren't doing and others are not. People mature at different rates. Just make him understand the rules of riding and make it as safe as possible for him. Good luck
X2
DamonJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #19
Tommyh
Pope & Young

when i was younger, there was a friend on my street who had a small motorcycle that had a governer on it. It was a blast to ride and would only go fast enough to keep it upright on the sidewalk. With adult supervision, we all took turns and never got hurt, so as long as you do your dad part, keep that thing from going too fast, it should be stable enough to ride by him. Just don't expect to get out of an accident unscathed by the state should something happen to him. Keep your medical insurance up to date as well!
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #20
OPC Patrick
Ten Point

not that it helps any, but its on the same topic. Our friend's have about 8 acres and got their little boy a battery powered 4 wheeler. He loved that thing. He would ride it around in the pasture till the batteries died. We were sitting watching him ride around one evening. After some time we noticed that he started doing wide circles, his mother made a comment that he fell asleep again. Sure enough he had fallen asleep on the handle bars with his foot on the peddle and just kept circling.
OPC Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #21
focushunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria,Maddisonville

build your own with the chinese knock off. For all the for wheelers a 50 all the way up to a 110 honda motor will fit in the. and u can get them for dirt cheap off ebay.
focushunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #22
focushunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria,Maddisonville

meaning buy the knock off and when it breaks throw a honda motor in it and will last for life and only have 600 bucks in it.
focushunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #23
asttbe
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboltm View Post
My son was riding a YZ 50 dirt bike when he was 3. No training wheels. He handled it just fine. We pulled the training wheels off his bike on his 3rd b-day. Took him 3 days to master that. 6 months later he had a dirt bike.
asttbe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #24
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

DOn't know if they still make the Honda 50 4 wheeler, but my son had one it it was great. The AMA Pee Wee Class is ages 4-6, so I don't think it is to young, but should be a parents call based on the ability of the child. I would suggest getting the complete riding gear. That includes helmet, chest guard, boots, and riding pants. Kids at that age think it is so cool to have they usually have zero problem wearing it.

This is where I used to get all of Justin's riding gear.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chap...ee%3D%2CRiding Gear and Apparel

Last edited by BrianL; 07-20-2009 at 01:33 PM.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #25
Mike
Ten Point

I got a 50 Suzuki with the tether and it worked great, aside from chasing it around on my ATV. I tied a 30-40' piece of 1/8" rope on it and let it drag. I had him a course of cones set out over about 5 cleared acres at the local school and I just followed him around. If he ever got away from his intended path, all I had to do was speed up and run my tire over the string and the atv shut off.

Looking back it was good but I am now leary of kids and atvs/dirt bikes. My boys are 7 and 9 and are all boy but their safety is a concern.

They were pretty mad with me yesterday at a friends house as I would not let them ride their friends ATV's. There was a group of boys from 7-8 years old that were riding their atvs, the smallest was a 300 and one kid was on a 450 Foreman.

That is just too much power, IMO.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #26
Ryno
Six Point

Hunt In: Robertson County, TX

I went out on craigslist and got an old mid 80's model yamaha. I like the way there were build and they do not have shocks. My opinion is that no shocks slows them down. Good luck.

I like the Yamaha Moto 4 or Badger. 80cc
Ryno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #27
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County

I purchased a 50cc Yamaha Raptor from a TBHer and it still runs strong.

It is the only 4 stroke & shaft drive japanese made that I am aware of.

Looks for one of these on the used market. Even though it is a 50cc it is built like the size of an 80. It is currently governed to 12mph, which is more than fast enough for a young'n. Once that is too slow I can pick up a module that will raise the rev limiter & bring it up to 18mph if I slap on some tires from the 80 cc model.

Buying it is biting me in the rear now because even though he rides with me 90% of the time in the SXS he still wants to bring "his" four wheeler when we go to the lease.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #28
Shadow
Ten Point

I purchased a china made 70cc and it worked great, my son road it for about 2 years. Some china brands are better than others! I recently upgraded him to a 110 and it has also worked great so far. When he out grows this one I will be upgrading to a more well known brand as I expect him to have it longer than a couple years.

With the china models you need to understand they are throw aways and will only last a year or two though engines are cheap for them.

AS for being 4 only you know your son's abilities and comfort levels. Heck I've seen 3 year olds out BMX racing. My son was 5 when he started riding atv's. Just make sure he understands the rules and never rides alone. Make sure he under stands that if he turns to sharp to fast he will roll. The remotes on the china models don't work as well as they claim but if you stay within a few feet they do. As for the tethers, I moved my son's from the rear to the handle bars by welding a little bracket there and put a wrist strap on it, on his 110 I bought a boat kill switch from walmart and wired that in and mounted it to the plastic cover over the fuel tank and that gets clipped to his belt.

Next is the governor on them...it only limits the amount of throttle you can give it so for flat ground it's great but if you have hills or obstacles it hurts, remember these things are basically single speed machines at that level.

Last edited by Shadow; 07-21-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top