Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
aironeout
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen,and DeWitt Co.
Default Am I wrong in thinking this way...

My daughter Kaitlynn just finished the 6th grade and the last semester she had a 88.8 for an 89 in her Social Studies class. The reason for the "B" is that she was missing her final score for the semester resulting in a "zero" being included in her average. Her other scores for the class are100,93,100,100,101,100,100,100,95,92,90 and 108 (with a 93 quiz,91 quiz,82 daily assignment that were not averaged for one reason or the other). I emailed the teacher asking her about the test and she said that it was an open book 30 question quiz and that she gave the students 2 days to work on it and that Kaitlynn did not turn it in. I asked Kaitlynn about the assignment and was actulally very upset at her to the point that I made her cry, all the while she was adamant about "Dad, I turned it in, I turned it in" but the teacher had no record of it. I have had several conversations with Kaitlynn about being responsible for her own actions and she is still adamant about turning in the assignment. I then started to question why would a student who turned in every assignment all year long not turn in the last one. I even asked the teacher and principal if they thought a student with the above grades, one who has been commended on every TAKS score and has scored perfect on several others, as well as "A pleasure to have in class and "Has a great attitude" if they though that was a "B" student and neither one of them has answered the question.

The biggest issue that I have with the whole scenario is that If the teacher gave the students 2 days and Kaitlynn did not turn it in then "what did she do for 2 days" and why wasn't the teacher more observant to what was going on in the class and if Kaitlynn was not working on the assignment why didn't the teacher take action to see that Kaitlynn did the assignment. Sounds like the teacher had a case of the "end of year blues". I also sent the principal an email just to let her know that adults do make mistakes because when I opened the envelope with the report card and TAKS score report I received another students' confidential TAKS report. Kaitlynn said that she is willing to accept the "B" but I on the other hand am not.

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

>E
aironeout is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

NO.

Your kids (especially when they are being a good kid, being responsible and acting maturely) need to know that their Dad has their back.

stand by for someone to argue with me
Atfulldraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
SPUD
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches & Shelby Co; Unit 12 KS

nothing wrong with a "B", but I see your point.
SPUD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
Jaspro
Pope & Young

Keep fighting it. A high "B" Is a good grade but she earned better than that. I also wonder why with grades like that, and the good comments from the teacher were you not called after the teacher noticed the test was missing?
Jaspro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
Late Starter
Four Point

Hunt In: western Edwards Plateau

Let it ride, brutha. Ultimately, your daughter is responsible for turning in the assignment. Moving forward, she will know to CONFIRM its receipt. This is a grand learning experience -- at minimal cost to your daughter. The more you agonize, the more mixed signals you send.

(signed,) Docter Phil
Late Starter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
bltiger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Culpeper/Madison County Virginia and Duval County, TX

No you are not wrong for thinking this way Kelly! It does not make any logical sense that Kaitlynn would do her work all year (and do it well) and not do an open book final test during class hours. I agree that given her previous history in the class she would not have just sat and down nothing for two straight days. My only concern would be that based on her grades in the class up to the final that she would be willing to accept a "B" even though it appears she earned and deserved an "A" in a class; she should want that "A"!
bltiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
fishdog
Ten Point

go for it teachers screw stuff up all the time and unless they sleep with a student no cares what they do. teachers need to be held accountable for their mistakes and if you have a student how has an a average not turn something in then the teacher should take that as a clue that maybe they lost something.
fishdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell Co., TX

I experienced a similar thing with my daughter a couple years ago. I am absolutely convinced to this day that she turned in the assignment in question, but when it was all said and done, it didn't make a difference and her grade stood. Teachers are not infallible and they have a lot to keep up with and their days are chaotic. Stuff happens. Nine times out of ten the students are probably the ones that are mistaken. But every once in a while, the teacher is bound to mess up too. They're only human. I don't have an answer, but I understand your frustration.
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
zztex
Pope & Young

I am certain she turned it in. My daughters 10th grade math teacher was forever giving her bad grades for not turning in assignments. I questioned my daughter and she said she turned them in. With a lot of prodding the teacher would always find the paper and correct the grade, but that was after bad progress reports, etc. This probably happened 6 times in one year.
zztex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
Winman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zapata,San Ignacio,Texas

It's just like arguing a judgement call with an umpire....a no win for you....even if she [the teacher ]lost it she ain't going to back up....and you may make it difficult for the student in the future ...teachers don't forget those that cause them grief...
Winman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
VorTexan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Backwoods

my question given her past performance and "good" quote material is ....

did the teacher ask her prior to giving her a zero why she did NOT do the work? Unless they turned in work and it was not graded till school was out for the summer?
VorTexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
Lip
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever

If it's that important to you, don't send emails, go to the school and meet with them. It's doubtful the principal will override the teacher so I'd start with the teacher.
Lip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
Eric Pence
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

My sons teacher did the same thing to him and after a little Parental investigation and a talk with the Principal the grade was changed.The teachers for the most part are human too and make mistakes.She said she might Have "Misplaced" it in the end.I would keep looking into it.
Eric Pence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
aironeout
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by VorTexan View Post
my question given her past performance and "good" quote material is ....

did the teacher ask her prior to giving her a zero why she did NOT do the work? Unless they turned in work and it was not graded till school was out for the summer?
That is my main concern. If she gave them 2 days to work on it. If she did notice that Kaitlynn was "workin" why didn't she ask her where the assignment was when she noticed that she didn't have a grade for it and if Kaitlynn wasn't "working" why didn't the teacher say something to her for 2 days. Doesn't make sense to me. Either way I get the impression that the teacher was not doing her job and supervising the children that were supposed to be under her direct supervision.

Assignment was due on May 22. Grades had to be submitted by May 28 and school was out on June 3 same day as the postmark on the envelope.

>E
Old 06-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #15
aironeout
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
If it's that important to you, don't send emails, go to the school and meet with them. It's doubtful the principal will override the teacher so I'd start with the teacher.
Teacher is gone for the summer and the principal is on her side. Looks like the Superintendent is next in line. I'm not giving up either way.

>E
Old 06-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #16
Sunshine
Ten Point

Hunt In: wherever my husband takes me

I feel your concern too. Your daughter sounds like she works really hard to do a good job, and she should be rewarded for it. I realize we don't always win our arguments, even when we are right, but there is time enough for that when she is an adult. What do our kids learn, if they aren't rewarded for doing their best? They learn it doesn't matter, and then they don't try so hard anymore. So you make sure she knows adults aren't always right, but you still keep on trying!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #17
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell Co., TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aironeout View Post
Teacher is gone for the summer and the principal is on her side. Looks like the Superintendent is next in line. I'm not giving up either way.

>E
I went this route with an issue over my son when he was a freshman. In hindsight, I don't recommend it. Teachers, principals, SROs, etc. all tend to stick together. It's like a fraternity and it doesn't really matter who's right or wrong. When you go after one to the point that you're suggesting, you can actually open your child up for prejudicial treatment in the future from teachers who weren't even involved in the original issue. No, it's not right and it's not fair. But it happens.
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #18
Ouch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a camo banana hammock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post
NO.

Your kids (especially when they are being a good kid, being responsible and acting maturely) need to know that their Dad has their back.

stand by for someone to argue with me
What he said.

Teachers are human, fallible, and over-worked. Mistakes not only might happen, they seem likely... given the number of kids/assignments/papers they have to handle.

It seems your daughter is going beyond the norm to achieve. She should be rewarded for that. It is not her responsibility to confirm someone else's work.
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #19
flatlander
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

I understand your point, I'd probably work on getting it fixed also, but in the long run a 'B' in the 6th grade never kept a kid back when it really matters. Now if this was High School, it woul dbe a totally different story.

I don't know if this is an option but I'd scan the assignments in from this point forward and e-mail the teachers a PDF. Then there is NO question. you can always go back and re-send an e-mail from your sent items. The other trick is to NEVER delete anything but junk mail.

Good luck!!! Your kids are worth standing up for.
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #20
Death from Above
Pope & Young

Stuff that is important for your kids is important to you.

THe life lesson you are teaching goes way beyond a grade.

Keep fighting DAD
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #21
Ohio Darin
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana

In 5 or 6 years from now when she is preparing to graduate HS will this B matter? Your answer to this question should guide how you proceed.

Either way you have an opportunity to teach your daughter first hand a lesson in life.

Good luck.
Ohio Darin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #22
crunchtime
Eight Point

IMO the teacher made a B this year for letting a student who is as capable as your daughter is fall below an A. It's the teacher's job to make sure every student in her class accomplishes as much as possible. Anything less shows neglect on the teachers part.
I know a retired teacher who told me he use to teach kids that were having problems in other classes. It was strange that the kids who were failing or had below average grades would leave his class well above average. Why? Because his job was to make sure each child got the attention they deserved. Not to just push them through the system.
I wonder if it were her daughter if the results would have been the same?
Most teachers are very busy but when it comes to our children they need to slow down and pay attention.
I'm not putting all teachers in this category just saying they all need to care.
crunchtime is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #23
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

Unfortunately, life is a learning lesson.

Teacher's not responsible to see everything for everyone.

Parents cannot walk the child through everything - though we all support them through thick and thin.

Missing paper is missing paper - I would have expected the teacher to allow something for "extra" credit to mend the missing detail.

Last of all - it's only 6th grade. That "B" doesn't mean anything in the scope of life. Enjoy the summer with your little one and take her fishing or shooting.
IowaHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #24
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

I understand your frustration. Last year, my daughter got her very first "B" ever, in of all things, PE. I emailed the teacher to see what the problem was, and was told that Courtney forgot her gym shoes twice (once was the first day after Christmas break, and Courtney was sporting her new cowboy boots), and each time that happened, there was a three point deduction in her grade. OK, fair enough. But, that's only six points, so I asked what the grading criteria was for the other six points (her grade was an 88) that resulted in the "B". The teacher responded that a student starts off with a 94 in PE, instead of a 100. To me, that sounded crazy, but after not making any headway after diplomatically arguing with the teacher, Courtney and I chalked it up as a learning experience. She was pretty disappointed that it was the first "blemish" on her report card, but sometimes life, and school, just ain't fair.

I'd continue to politely ask questions of the teacher, principal or superintendent, if you feel compelled to see if they might be willing to give your daughter the benefit of the doubt in this situation. I wouldn't be accusatory toward the teacher, but point out that it seems pretty obvious that your daughter completed the test, in which case it was obviously misplaced somewhere along the way. By my calculations, she would have needed to score roughly 6.5 points on that open book test to bring her grade from 88.8 to 89.5, or from a B to an A (depending, of course, on the weight of the grades listed above). You might ask if there's anything she could do this summer to "EARN" those extra 6 or 7 points. It seems that a social studies teacher that was really interested in a child's learning would see that as an opportunity.

Michael

Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #25
dennisomfs
Eight Point

...school today is not the school that many of us grew up with. Agonizing over a "B" at sixth grade level may not be the best thing, rather having another talk with your daughter on the real purpose of school at middle school level may be more productive. Most of us don't realize that basics learned pre-fifth grade are the things that sustain us through-out life. After that, we are simply refining our ability to continue learning...in other words, all those seemingly "wasted hours" are really an exercise in learning HOW to learn. Inflated grades seem to be the rule now rather than learning SKILLS. Your daughter sounds as though she has a grasp on those skills which is far more important. I had two memorable teachers in my life of schooling (24 years!)...the first was an English History instructor in grade 11. We had no textbook and she simply lectured to us every day with exams from the notes we took. Failure to pay attention and take notes had the obvious result. The second teacher was in college. Our Comparative Anatomy instructor announced to the class that he graduated with honors, was Phi Beta Kappa, and in his entire career only made one "c"..."...and that, ladies and gentleman, was in Comparative Anatomy". With those words, the tone was set and the challenge placed before all of us! He informed us that he graded on a curve and that ALL the clases he taught were averaged together (so any exam info shared with other classes only served to hurt yourself!) To ge an A in his class, required a combine total of 700 points, and out of over 160 students in his combined classes, only 9 (less than 6%), attained that. He also stated at the start that he awarded only 10% of his classes an A so I was sure that my 697 points would get me an A, too. I got a B....but I remember to this day how hard I worked and what satisfaction I gained from being right there...the chance to sink that birdie putt on the 18th hole if you will.......the knowledge that I gained, however, put me in that postion again and again over the years. Good luck to you and your daughter..
dennisomfs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #26
raiderelkhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: MT, NM, TX

6th grade dude....my wife is a teacher and I have seen her bring all her papers home to grade and I don't see how she never loses any of them. 6th grade... All I can say is yeah, go to bat for your daughter, but keep in mind before you alienate your family at that school, its only 6th grade. In the grand scheme of it all, this matters nothing for her high school ranking. However, I am not a parent, so my opinion could be way off base.
raiderelkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #27
Stupid
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Just go ask her teacher on a date
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #28
DerekC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Starter View Post
Let it ride, brutha. Ultimately, your daughter is responsible for turning in the assignment. Moving forward, she will know to CONFIRM its receipt. This is a grand learning experience -- at minimal cost to your daughter. The more you agonize, the more mixed signals you send.

(signed,) Docter Phil
I agree.
DerekC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #29
Joey~AP
Administrator

Hunt In: Texas

Fight for your daughter!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
()_)--()_)---o-)_)
Joey~AP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #30
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdog View Post
go for it teachers screw stuff up all the time and unless they sleep with a student no cares what they do. teachers need to be held accountable for their mistakes and if you have a student how has an a average not turn something in then the teacher should take that as a clue that maybe they lost something.
Wow! Grind that ax.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #31
aironeout
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaHunter View Post
Enjoy the summer with your little one and take her fishing or shooting.
No need to worry about that. We definately have those bases covered. In two weeks we will be heading to Ft. Benning Ga. to the US Army Marksmanship Unit for a weeklong smallbore rifle clinic taught by some of the top smallbore and air rifle shooters in the world.

at her first 50 and 100 meter match.
Name:  DSC03550 [640x480].JPG
Views: 727
Size:  105.1 KB
Name:  DSC03557 [640x480].JPG
Views: 735
Size:  94.4 KB
Her end of school year present a Walther lg300 junior precision air rifle.
Name:  DSC03578 [640x480].JPG
Views: 724
Size:  68.4 KB
Name:  DSC03580 [640x480].JPG
Views: 730
Size:  88.4 KB
Her new 6'6" Med action spinner with her favorite color green blank and pink wraps. Her name is a little dark on the blank but still legible. Made by a guy that works for me, one of his first builds.
Name:  DSC03585 [640x480].JPG
Views: 724
Size:  116.3 KB
Name:  DSC03587 [640x480].JPG
Views: 729
Size:  84.2 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderbowhunter View Post
6th grade dude....my wife is a teacher and I have seen her bring all her papers home to grade and I don't see how she never loses any of them. 6th grade... All I can say is yeah, go to bat for your daughter, but keep in mind before you alienate your family at that school, its only 6th grade. In the grand scheme of it all, this matters nothing for her high school ranking. However, I am not a parent, so my opinion could be way off base.
Funny thing is, is that my GF is a teacher in the same district and both of my parents were, and for once she is in complete agreement with me. She says that the non communication by the teacher is totally unprofessional, especially one who has been teaching for 13 years. Thanks for the insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I understand your frustration. Last year, my daughter got her very first "B" ever, in of all things, PE. I emailed the teacher to see what the problem was, and was told that Courtney forgot her gym shoes twice (once was the first day after Christmas break, and Courtney was sporting her new cowboy boots), and each time that happened, there was a three point deduction in her grade. OK, fair enough. But, that's only six points, so I asked what the grading criteria was for the other six points (her grade was an 88) that resulted in the "B". The teacher responded that a student starts off with a 94 in PE, instead of a 100. To me, that sounded crazy, but after not making any headway after diplomatically arguing with the teacher, Courtney and I chalked it up as a learning experience. She was pretty disappointed that it was the first "blemish" on her report card, but sometimes life, and school, just ain't fair.

I'd continue to politely ask questions of the teacher, principal or superintendent, if you feel compelled to see if they might be willing to give your daughter the benefit of the doubt in this situation. I wouldn't be accusatory toward the teacher, but point out that it seems pretty obvious that your daughter completed the test, in which case it was obviously misplaced somewhere along the way. By my calculations, she would have needed to score roughly 6.5 points on that open book test to bring her grade from 88.8 to 89.5, or from a B to an A (depending, of course, on the weight of the grades listed above). You might ask if there's anything she could do this summer to "EARN" those extra 6 or 7 points. It seems that a social studies teacher that was really interested in a child's learning would see that as an opportunity.

Michael

Michael
Spoken like only a wise man would. Thank you.
You ever thought about being a professional counselor or mediator. You might have missed your calling.

Thanks to all for the support and to the others for their insights and their points of view.

Is it hunting season yet?

>E

Last edited by aironeout; 06-06-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #32
aironeout
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid View Post
Just go ask her teacher on a date
I'm already dating one teacher. I'd never win an argument if I had 2. Plus I'll keep the one I have and let you have this one.

>E
Old 06-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #33
asttbe
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My yard

Quote:
Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?
Yep
asttbe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #34
GILBERT
Ten Point

Hunt In: S Texas - E Texas

NO!!, Heck no, you are not wrong in being upset about an obvious moronic teacher's screw up. After reading your kids grades, it is also obvious that she had been a responsible young lady, and now all of sudden she threw responsibility out the window????....I don't think so.

I have seen this type of behaviour from schools and never do wrong teachers on certain occasions concerning my little grand daughter. On the first occasion after my daughter failed to get satifactory results from the school board, i personally went along with her and asked to talk to the teacher in question in the presence of the principle and other board members. After i aggressively questioned her, it was obvious that she had dropped the ball (I had an ace up my sleeve, my hunting buddy's son was dating her and on the night before, she was drunk as a pig on sour mash, and i casually mentioned that during my questioning). Even after we were told that the matter would be corrected i let them have a stern piece of my mind.

Never let you kid out from under your wing in matters such as these.
GILBERT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #35
Lubbock hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dickens Co.

Sounds like a principal thing. I've told my son if he does everything right and the school is in the wrong, That I would go to WAR for him but it was up to him to do the right thing. It sounds like the teacher could have made a mistake. That "B" could be the difference in #1 and #2 in her graduating class, if this was her High school career. If it were me I would take it as far as I had to, to get to the bottom of the situation. You never know, This could be "THE" life lesson that really hits home with your daughter, and really hit home with her that yes you do TRULY have her back. JMHO
Lubbock hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #36
Quackwacker58
Four Point

Teachers lose assignments period! It happens to everyone, its not always the students fault and it deff isnt always the teachers fault but it happens!
Quackwacker58 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #37
cooksomerice
Eight Point

Adults make mistakes every day, I know I do. Teacher should have recognized that something was very wrong and immediately asked a question. Can't say I would have given her an "A" but I would have given her the opportunity to resubmit the paper based on her prior performance.
cooksomerice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #38
greatwhite
Four Point

First things first, I am a teacher and will not give a 6 wks or final grade that ends in 9. It is my final decision on what grade that student gets but 69 79 89 99 just doesn't look good on a report card.

I want to make clear that I am not defending this paricular teacher in this particular case. I do not have enough facts to do so. I am defending teachers in general and responding to the claim that it is a teachers fault when a student does not turn in a paper. When I give an assignment it is my job to make sure the student understands the directions, has the skills and the materials to complete the assignment correctly, if the assignment is to be done in class it is my responsibilty to make sure the student is making an attempt to complete the assignment and to do so correctly, it is also my job to make sure the student is aware of the due date and procedures for turning in the assignment. It is not however my responsiblity to hold their hand and make their mark for them. If I do not recieve an assignment on time, points are lost. The student is reminded to turn in the assignment for the credit that is available to them. If the student chooses not to turn in an assignment, that falls on them. Students whether they are 12 or 22 have to accept a certain amount of responsibility for their education. I am there to provide it and make it fruitful as possible, but they have to meet me somewhere in the middle.

Sorry for the rant.

In all honesty in this situation with the information given I think something is fishy with the teacher, so please believe me, I am not defending this teacher.
greatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #39
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie County

I see this as an issue of whether you trust your daughter's word, versus the teachers word. Back in my day we'd turn in the assignments and we had an English teacher that was not good at her job. She did not want to be there. She would allow us to turn in a paper, and just leave it on the corner of her desk while she was down the hall shootin' the breeze with another teacher - who also didn't want to be there.

Lot's of papers came up missing. One of mine did. My mom threatened to whip both the teacher's booty and the principal's booty and "other arrangements" were made. Now, I respected my mom before this, but she had my complete respect afterward - as well as that of the principal and the teacher.

If you believe your daughter, then go take a stand for her.
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #40
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
First things first, I am a teacher and will not give a 6 wks or final grade that ends in 9. It is my final decision on what grade that student gets but 69 79 89 99 just doesn't look good on a report card.

I want to make clear that I am not defending this paricular teacher in this particular case. I do not have enough facts to do so. I am defending teachers in general and responding to the claim that it is a teachers fault when a student does not turn in a paper. When I give an assignment it is my job to make sure the student understands the directions, has the skills and the materials to complete the assignment correctly, if the assignment is to be done in class it is my responsibilty to make sure the student is making an attempt to complete the assignment and to do so correctly, it is also my job to make sure the student is aware of the due date and procedures for turning in the assignment. It is not however my responsiblity to hold their hand and make their mark for them. If I do not recieve an assignment on time, points are lost. The student is reminded to turn in the assignment for the credit that is available to them. If the student chooses not to turn in an assignment, that falls on them. Students whether they are 12 or 22 have to accept a certain amount of responsibility for their education. I am there to provide it and make it fruitful as possible, but they have to meet me somewhere in the middle.

Sorry for the rant.

In all honesty in this situation with the information given I think something is fishy with the teacher, so please believe me, I am not defending this teacher.
Niiccee!
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #41
JLively
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill country

You have recieved a lot of good advice so far. My thought is that this really shouldn't be about the grade. Nor whether the teacher is right or wrong. This should be you and your daughter. You should make sure that your daughter knows that you believe her and that you know that she earned the better grade. You should stand up for her to the powers to be. Not so as to bang into the brick wall, but to let her know that her dad is on her side. Also let her know that we all, children and adults, run into situations where right does not always prevail and all you can do is continue to try your best. You will "earn" the A in her mind, which is really more imporatant than a pience of paper anyways.
JLively is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #42
GILBERT
Ten Point

Hunt In: S Texas - E Texas

Gentlemen, there is alot more at stake here than just either a "B" or an "A" grade. As it was in my grand daughter's situation, at the end of it all, i made it clear to the powers at hand after it was obvious that the teacher had being negligent, and just simply decided to sacrifice the trust and respect that my child had, for the sake of not being proven wrong.

I myself decided that the final lesson taught to my grand daughter was not going to be one of stupidity. That just because of higher authority it was the final word, and be called a liar..period!. NO!.. children are young and impressionable, how would that lesson sink in and effect them the rest of their life.

That was part of my stern piece of mind to them, after the matter was correct and the teacher as decipline apologized to my grand kid. I DEMANDED THAT for the sake of my kid.
GILBERT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #43
Shane77624
Ten Point

I think you are taking this a bit too far. First, your daughter is only in 6th grade. This has no bearing on her GPA that will impact her class standing (ie, her college entrance).

Did your daughter turn in the work? Maybe yes maybe no. There is no way to tell unless the paper shows up.

Why do you say that the teacher did not do her job by verifying that your daughter was doing her work? Could it not have been partially completed at home? Even as an option? It is not unusual for students to work on assignments in class, stick them in their books, and never turn them in. It is especially magnified at the end of each semester when the students minds begin to wander and ponder the upcoming summer or winter breaks. With that said, the really crappy part is that if the teacher cleans his/her desk off at the end of the year, after school is out and grades are submitted, and finds your daughters papers it will likely make no difference.

My suggestion is that if you feel she is telling the truth and you believe what she is saying, take this opportunity to reward her for her grades and treat the B as if it were an A. Use this event to let her know that you trust her and her actions. It'll be a great benefit for you in about 3 or 4 years.

I know that this doesn't relate to your problem, but I really want to vent about this. I know that I am in the minority but, I feel that teachers are in the classroom to teach, not to babysit. I think that the teacher should present the information to the students, assign the appropriate work, and evaluate the work of the students. I do not think that they (the teachers) should be required to make sure the students are doing their work. That responsibility is one for the students. If they (the students) do not want to learn then it should not be forced upon them. It is only the responsibility of the school/teacher to provide the information and the opportunity for the student to learn....not to make them learn.
Shane77624 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #44
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

If I were in your shoes, I would probably let it go at this point on because it is 6th grade.....unless she WANTS yout go all the way to the superintendent

I would feel real bad about making her cry and it's cool that she is seeing you fight and believe in her & I think the most important part of this story is right here!! To me, you have done your job well & I would let it go if both teacher and principal are against you both.

There are going to be lots more of 'lost reports' and issues in life that we all have to deal with that certainly are not fair......I would put my efforts here as 'the life is unfair deal is way too true.'

My son is about to get into 6th and has straight A's, the teachers love him and he's also a great athlete and solid kid and it all comes easy for him.

We pulled our daughter out of 2nd this year because she was struggling and we have now home school her for about 3-4 months now. Pretty anti-social until she warms up and just two completely different kids. She does not like home school just like she did not like regular school. Math is really tough for her but she fights through it and I think she will be OK and has not failed anything. She also has seizure's from time to time and we pray for healing daily....we role with life's punches every day, correct?? Ask your daughter what she really wants you to do and Put your time where you and your daughter feel it is best.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #45
dmyers57
Four Point

taught school for thirty years and had several cases like this and one thing that i would tell you is you are right in standing up for your daughter. but when this came up the first thing that i would tell the parents is to check your daughters notebook, i bet it might be there. probably not way to check the notebook know that school is out but that is what i would tell the parents that came to see me
dmyers57 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #46
tx07
Pope & Young

I don't think your wrong at all.
In fact it is very possible she did turn it in and the teacher lost it, resulting in her zero.

Here is a little story about my "second grader son"
Teacher sends a project home, called shoping spree.
He had to cut out ads from anywheres he could to spent $500,000.00 even "no rounding"
This is kinda the dumbest thing I can see for a second grader to be having to do.
Well to make the story short, my wife and I did it for him. In fact we even talked to other parents and they wasn't to happy about his project either.
Well if you make a single mistake in calculation she will count off 30 points and say "no rounding"
The rules was as stated.
1. Picture has to be included withthe price.
2. No Internet shopping
3. No 2 items can be the same.
4. No one item can be over 200,000.00

So by seting these rules it was a serious pain in the tail to get even close to being done with this project. And my wife and I caused my son to lose 30 points on this project and it set his grade on an 79.
Now if that would not make you redder then a cherry what else would!

Last edited by tx07; 06-06-2009 at 07:49 PM.
tx07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #47
Cropduster
Ten Point

Give it a rest. This is not a life or death situation. Either the assignment was not turned in or it was lost. Life is like that, all things are not perfect, so learn from it and go on with your life. It will not make any difference in the long run.
Cropduster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #48
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Dude!! It's 6th grade!!

You did the right thing by letting her know how important turning in her work is and that you are watching. Seeking out the superintendent might me a little overzealous but may drive the point home even more by doing so.

I say drop it and save your energy for High School when her grades affect her future.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #49
wags
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad County

As a teacher, I take offense to many of the comments on this thread. So many times these days, the parents want to blame the teacher. The kids are always right, and the teacher is always wrong. Our boss, the principal, has to be fair to both student and teacher, but he must stand up for his/her teacher. During these times it is of some comfort that someone does.

With that being said, I feel that your daughter probably did turn her paper in. As a teacher, it would have been something that I would have followed up on. Some how I would have gotten a hold of the student and asked where the paper was. But again, with that being said, she would have never gotten an 89. As mentioned earlier, I always round up. Depending on the student and the effort of the student, I will even round a grade that ends in a seven up to the next letter.

I would follow up with the principal if you feel necessary, but I would do it in person. Be civilized and just put all the facts on the table. There have been several times that the principal and myself have not seen eye to eye. I would not argue my point over email, I always did it in person. It always works out better that way.

I am in the midst of getting my master in educational administration, and I can tell you 99% of the time I will stand up for my teacher in public or around parents. In private, I would get to the bottom of it with the teacher, and I would probably suggest, with your daughter's past, that she use some good judgement and think about rounding up to a 90. I would suggest that, but by no means would I demand that.
wags is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2009, 09:36 AM   #50
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat07 View Post
I don't think your wrong at all.
In fact it is very possible she did turn it in and the teacher lost it, resulting in her zero.

Here is a little story about my "second grader son"
Teacher sends a project home, called shoping spree.
He had to cut out ads from anywheres he could to spent $500,000.00 even "no rounding"
This is kinda the dumbest thing I can see for a second grader to be having to do.
Well to make the story short, my wife and I did it for him. In fact we even talked to other parents and they wasn't to happy about his project either.
Well if you make a single mistake in calculation she will count off 30 points and say "no rounding"
The rules was as stated.
1. Picture has to be included withthe price.
2. No Internet shopping
3. No 2 items can be the same.
4. No one item can be over 200,000.00

So by seting these rules it was a serious pain in the tail to get even close to being done with this project. And my wife and I caused my son to lose 30 points on this project and it set his grade on an 79.
Now if that would not make you redder then a cherry what else would!

I feel for ya.....after we pulled Kacie to home school, we started talking to the other parents. We didn't quite remember our son having such a difficult time. Well, my wife (of couse) found ALL of our sons 2nd grade work and we compared to our daughter's. Not sure what happened in three years but the math and even the spelling words were amazingly more difficult & our son was in the GT program & our daughter in the regular?? We showed the comparison to our son and he apologized to his sister for making fun of her, as it was that clear how much harder her work was.

We talked to several other parents and many kids were having a hard time & sadly, many are going to take the grade over again next year. Something went way wrong?? Not sure who is making these decisions.

PS: continued rant......what the heck is it with homework EVERY night for these young kids?? Good grief.....we hardly had any homework when we were that young. P.E. is joke.....maybe 30-45 mins??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top