Safety or no safety on a carry pistol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
    not trying to be hard or rude,, but your better off not carrying if this is truly your mind set,,,,, i spent 30 years on the streets as an leo,,,, being able to draw fast kept me from HAVING to shoot several people who were reaching for weapons,,,, i have also drawn from concealed in my own business and they also changed there minds about the actions they intended...

if it is not hot it is not worth having, because when things go bad, they go very fast,,, some people simply can not be talked down and your wife becomes a widow and children fatherless because you would not spend the time to practice, or buy the right weapon.....

either do it right or just don't do it ,,, i personally know two police officers who were robbed because they did not do things right,,both decided to fight for their wallets, both had a gun,, 20 feet away! both got beat up pretty bad..
    This.

Although I haven’t had to pull a gun on anyone.

Comment

Safety or no safety on a carry pistol?

Originally posted by Radar View Post
      The OP first post was stating that he would take the gun out of the holster when he got in his car and place it on a magnet on the dash. Which would leave the firearm near him . Totally different scenario when a loaded firearm with no safety is stuck to magnet on a car dash.

Nope. They still don’t go off by themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Mike D; 09-23-2018, 07:51 PM.

Comment

not trying to be hard or rude,, but your better off not carrying if this is truly your mind set,,,,, i spent 30 years on the streets as an leo,,,, being able to draw fast kept me from HAVING to shoot several people who were reaching for weapons,,,, i have also drawn from concealed in my own business and they also changed there minds about the actions they intended...

if it is not hot it is not worth having, because when things go bad, they go very fast,,, some people simply can not be talked down and your wife becomes a widow and children fatherless because you would not spend the time to practice, or buy the right weapon.....

either do it right or just don't do it ,,, i personally know two police officers who were robbed because they did not do things right,,both decided to fight for their wallets, both had a gun,, 20 feet away! both got beat up pretty bad..

Yep. If you aren’t comfortable carrying with one chambered you either need to carry a different weapon or don’t carry at all. Guns just don’t go off by themselves.

If you let someone get drawn on you first you weren’t paying enough attention anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          Nope. They still don’t go off by themselves.

That would be correct, just depends on who pulls the trigger. A child, a bad guy or the OP. We both know that sooner or later the OP will forget about the firearm, which will lead to an unattended firearm with no safety and a hot round.

We are all human and we all forget about things. I can not believe that any one on this forum could accept the fact of an unattended firearm stuck to a magnet in a vehicle is ok.
          Last edited by Radar; 09-23-2018, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I’m not an LEO so I will have a substantially different perspective than you. In that particular line of work or as a 7/11 clerk it is more logical to carry hot. I’ve carried this way for about 10 years and will continue to do so. 99.99999% of the time I carry, my wife and child would be at risk of injury than the .0000001% chance of this Jason Bourne moment that people seem to be fantasizing about.

Carrying hot you are more likely to end up as an accidental statistic that liberals will quote as a reason for gun control than you are likely to end up as a hero.

See the guy in Kingwood whose pistol fell out of his coat and shot and old lady in the guts

Read your American Rifleman armed citizens columns those are drawn out sequences not shootouts.

Look at the Sutherland Springs NRA instructor who ran the shooter off. He didn’t even have a clip in his stored weapon

I have never had to draw and never want to. My brother has twice and it wasn’t this split second Johnny Ringo and Doc Holiday situation. He charged his pistol and warned and was able to send the intruder packing. I wouldn’t fight for my wallet. It’s full of credit cards I can call and cancel in about 30 minutes

Comment

I either carry a 1911 (locked and cocked), A Sig Legion P226 (loaded double action), or a Glock 21 (loaded, no safety) depending on where I plan to be and whatever mood I am in that morning.
              Sorry, I just don't believe I need to carry without a loaded chamber. I carry each one of those pistols as they were designed to be carried.

Comment

I had no idea so many people that carry a gun were so scared of them.

Carry a quality weapon, in a quality holster and you won’t have any issues.

Any gun that goes off when dropped is either a POS or defective. And if you are carrying properly in a quality holster it ain’t gonna fall out either.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  I had no idea so many people that carry a gun were so scared of them.

Carry a quality weapon, in a quality holster and you won’t have any issues.

Any gun that goes off when dropped is either a SIG or defective. And if you are carrying properly in a quality holster it ain’t gonna fall out either.

Fixed it for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Mauler View Post
                    I don’t envision myself in a scenario where I will be quick drawing with an assailant. I think if I am in that situation and I reach for a pistol that I will be dead before I even get my hand on it.
                    I didn't envision a deer jumping in front of my truck and wrecking it, but it happened.
                    If you decide to carry (or drive) you need to be prepared for the unexpected.
                    At least in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                      That would be correct, just depends on who pulls the trigger. A child, a bad guy or the OP. We both know that sooner or later the OP will forget about the firearm, which will lead to an unattended firearm with no safety and a hot round.

We are all human and we all forget about things. I can not believe that any one on this forum could accept the fact of an unattended firearm stuck to a magnet in a vehicle is ok.
                      First off, I didn't go the magnet route but for a car holster.
                      Second, it would never be unattended. It was a thought that I had for comfort, when driving long trips, because of seeing them marketed in ads. It would be very hard to forget about it, when you have a holster on your belt.
                      So quit calling it unattended. LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X