No announcement yet.

Safety or no safety on a carry pistol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never heard of anyone getting shot because they had to move their thumb and disengage the safety. Plenty of people have been in shootouts with single action revolvers or double action which I'm sure takes the same amount of effort to cock a hammer or pull that heavy trigger back so the first round will go off. If you have muscle memory built into how you plan on handling a situation I really think you're splitting hairs with the argument that safeties are unsafe for a carry gun.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
      I've never heard of anyone getting shot because they had to move their thumb and disengage the safety. Plenty of people have been in shootouts with single action revolvers or double action which I'm sure takes the same amount of effort to cock a hammer or pull that heavy trigger back so the first round will go off. If you have muscle memory built into how you plan on handling a situation I really think you're splitting hairs with the argument that safeties are unsafe for a carry gun.
      Well stated and I was in your camp for decades but after many training classes I prefer my Glocks over my 1911s for EDC. I want to go to trigger as fast as possible no matter my primary grip position. No safeties on my carry guns, period.

To each his own, stay frosty.

Comment

It's personal preference. However, if you are concerned that you will not disengage the safety under stress, then you aren't practicing enough. Disengaging a thumb safety as you draw should be automatic and add no time to the presentation of the weapon. Many LEOs carry weapons with thumb safeties and it does not slow their presentation at all.

Comment

My safety in is finger!

Comment

yup
            Attached Files

Comment

Them safeties are slow.

Comment

I'm an old fart.

Every firearm I've ever shot or owned (shotgun and rifle only) had a safety. Once in 71 years I forgot to take the safety off a rifle as I was bringing it up to my shoulder.
                Missed a nice buck. I was 12. Learned a valuable lesson.
                Never forgot to take a shotgun safety off.

Pistols are different. I get that. I've never been in law enforcement. I'm NO expert.

But I train with my carry pistol and the safety always comes off on the way up.

Maybe I'll be sorry someday. Hope not.

If that safety on my pistol prevents one of my grandkids from getting hurt, it's worth it.

Carry what you like, how you like. I made my choice.

Comment

I just had this conversation with my barber, who asked me what I was carrying after I walked in. I guess I need to work on not printing :/

Comment

It’s great to say train, muscle memory, blah,blah, blah but the reality is the majority of people carrying shoot a couple times a year.

The ones who actually practice and train are very rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My first carry gun was an M&P9c. I ended up getting the model with the safety, because my old man was with me, and lived under his roof at the time, which resulted in me picking my battles because no one wins against the persistent engineer. I did a lot of training classes with it and got very good about drawing in a method that my thumb drops the safety as soon as my hand grabs from the holster. However, i take such a deep grip on it that i started to find that when i draw out and slam my support hand up in a hurry, my support hand would engage the safety and pisotola no go bang. So that pretty much fixed my desire to have safety's for edc, with the exception of now carrying a 4 inch 1911. I did end up shaving down the safety on the 9 so that it's not so thick, but it's so easy to flip, that it's as much a pro as a con.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        It’s great to say train, muscle memory, blah,blah, blah but the reality is the majority of people carrying shoot a couple times a year.

The ones who actually practice and train are very rare.

Which leads me to believe their chances of shooting theirself in the leg or blowing their own hand off or at the very least,dropping the magazine out of their gun by accident in a stressful situation are greater than someone that does. So the whole safety thing is actually better for them because they're less likely to prematurely shoot a hole in something right out of the holster.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                          Which leads me to believe their chances of shooting theirself in the leg or blowing their own hand off or at the very least,dropping the magazine out of their gun by accident in a stressful situation are greater than someone that does. So the whole safety thing is actually better for them because they're less likely to prematurely shoot a hole in something right out of the holster.

If they shoot themselves that’s on them. But it would suck a lot worse to have a gun and be killed because you freaked out and forgot to take the safety off.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            If they shoot themselves that’s on them. But it would suck a lot worse to have a gun and be killed because you freaked out and forgot to take the safety off.

Either scenario would likely have a negative outcome. I like to see the good guys win. I think anyone that makes the choice to carry should make a conscious effort to practice with their weapon of choice or at least get more familiar with it than just shooting at a milk jug once or twice a year. If someone is serious enough about protecting their life and the lives of those around them if that day comes I think it's something that should come as second nature to use it just like they would any other tool. Because if that day comes nobody can really afford to lose.

I won't say one is any better or safer for that matter. Because in the hands of someone that's not prepared or familiar with their carry pistol both are equally hazardous to their health. And either one can be highly effective in the hands of someone that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                              I just ordered a Smith and Wesson Shield 2.0. I had the option for a thumb safety, or no safety.

Normally on a striker fire that you carry, I would say no safety. But I ordered this one with a safety because I’m assuming that I will be taking it off every time I get into the car to drive.

I was thinking about buying one of those car magnets that you mount on the lower dash. I don’t like the thought of it sitting out in the open next my leg with nothing but the trigger as the safety.

Thoughts or opinions?

Sitting out in the open isn’t legal anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                                My first carry gun was an M&P9c. I ended up getting the model with the safety, because my old man was with me, and lived under his roof at the time, which resulted in me picking my battles because no one wins against the persistent engineer. I did a lot of training classes with it and got very good about drawing in a method that my thumb drops the safety as soon as my hand grabs from the holster. However, i take such a deep grip on it that i started to find that when i draw out and slam my support hand up in a hurry, my support hand would engage the safety and pisotola no go bang. So that pretty much fixed my desire to have safety's for edc, with the exception of now carrying a 4 inch 1911. I did end up shaving down the safety on the 9 so that it's not so thick, but it's so easy to flip, that it's as much a pro as a con.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                                Ride the safety and your won’t have that problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X