2018 Austin/Fayette/Washington Counties Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
    Y’all are catchin it all. Have had 1” in the last 3 months I believe. Short pastures and low ponds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pastures and ponds are the same on our side as of right now. Hopefully pastures will start to rebound soon with the rain. Was hoping for that tropical depression to fill the ponds, but looks like its headed a few states east of us now.

Comment

our pond is about 3 feet low right now. The raccoons are having a field day digging up mussels.

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
        Looking for some land to run cows on around here. If y’all know anyone shoot me a pm please.

If y’all hear of anything

Comment

Dumped an inch of rain out of the rain gauge before rolling to Kenney Store for dinner. Any thoughts on how old this guy is? Probably outta ground check him right?

Comment

Originally posted by Speck View Post
            Dumped an inch of rain out of the rain gauge before rolling to Kenney Store for dinner. Any thoughts on how old this guy is? Probably outta ground check him right?

Looks like a 4-5 year old to me.
            Shoot if he’s a trophy for you. Let him go if you want to maximize his potential. 6-7 is the magic number for us.

Comment

Finally getting some rain!!!! Seeing some good deer at my Fayette place but my Lee County place I am not seeing any older deer and normally I always see one or two mature deer. Anybody else seeing this.

Comment

What age do you consider mature? We have been getting a handful of 5-7 year old bucks on camera all summer. They are all still here.

Comment

This is our first year owning this place so we have no clue what we should expect.

Comment

I think he's at least 4.5.

His neck & brisket look to be continuous and his body has a rectangular type shape to it. Anything 4.5 years or older is mature to me. Actually, most everything I've read about deer from a biological perspective considers 4.5 to be the mature stage. I wouldn't hesitate to take a deer that I thought was 4.5. Especially if it was on a small property.

And I'm in the same boat, as this will be my first year hunting our place. If I have pictures or see anything like your 10 pointer, I'll be happy.
                    Last edited by JMKro; 09-10-2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JMKro View Post
                      I think he's at least 4.5.

His neck & brisket look to be continuous and his body has a rectangular type shape to it. Anything 4.5 years or older is mature to me. Actually, most everything I've read about deer from a biological perspective considers 4.5 to be the mature stage. I wouldn't hesitate to take a deer that I thought was 4.5. Especially if it was on a small property.

And I'm in the same boat, as this will be my first year hunting our place. If I have pictures or see anything like your 10 pointer, I'll be happy.
                      4.5 is plenty mature for killing. I kill some 7 & 8pts at 3.5. But I know their antler potential is not maximized by then. I see significant antler growth from 4.5 to 6.5.

Comment

Hey guys, I'd like to hear when you consider the rut to be in our area. I don't hunt this place enough to really get a feel for it but I plan on hunting quite a bit this season and future seasons. I bought an RV so our camp got a huge upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                          They mite not be running opening weekend of bow season, but it won’t be long after that. Duration of the rut will depend on your immediate area. If deer numbers are low, then it could all be over by General Season opener. Don’t be surprised if all your regular bucks pull a disappearing act. It seems to be pretty common in the area. Some will not be seen again until next summer.
                          From earlier this year.

Comment

Welp that would explain a lot. I rarely hunt between the bow opener and general opener. Might need to change that up. Good luck to everyone this season!

Comment

Hoping to catch this one in bow season

Comment

Thats a good one. Wish I had one just like him.

Comment

Working...
                                X