No announcement yet.

Best budget duck gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your max price? Can not go wrong with your 870, but if you have a 500-1000 budget there are alot of good guns around that price. Bought a Brand new Winchester SX4 for under $600 brand new. Great gun and great price.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
      If you decide to get a Benelli Nova, let me know. I have two in the safe that I no longer shoot (small hand syndrome) and would part with.
      don't want to jump ahead of anybody, but I have a friend looking for one. pm me what you have if still available.

Comment

Comment

Are you just looking for best gun for the $? Or best pump gun for the $?

If we are counting pennies, I'd find a used Rem 870 (older generation). True bluing and solid feel. If you can get a older Mossberg 500 for $150 or less, that's a good value too.

If you're looking to get a great pump (which I recommend vs a auto for a novice), I think the Nova is a good upgrade in the pump discussion. Easy to action and easier to clean than an auto for beginners.

Comment

For some clarification. I love my current 870
            And have no problems killing birds with it. I’m just looking to upgrade into something a little nicer that’s stock won’t swell up every time I take it out in rough weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The older wingmasters are the best value in a pump IMO. I've been carrying one in the marsh for the last couple years. This year I decided I wanted an A300. I like it and as far as autos go it was relatively inexpensive. The wingmaster isn't going anywhere though. Have you considered just putting a set of synthetic stocks on your 870? They are usually around $100 for remington ones.
              Last edited by jdg13; 08-16-2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

best "budget" duck gun is the paid for Remington 870 that you already have

Comment

Originally posted by TXSTBowhunter View Post
                  For some clarification. I love my current 870
                  And have no problems killing birds with it. I’m just looking to upgrade into something a little nicer that’s stock won’t swell up every time I take it out in rough weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Buy some plastic furniture and get at it

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                    Quality has gone down a lot on the Remington 870 in my opinion. For a new pump, I'd take a nova.
                    Yep, I used a new 870 once and the extractor or what ever is pressed into the side of the receiver, came out and isn’t worth fixing. Won’t buy another 870. My next will be a Berreta

Comment

Most guns will shoot well if you spend the time patterning them, finding chokes that work, and put your range time in. A lot of the guns in this thread have solid reputations.

I haven't shot some of the others mentioned, but I can speak to my experience with the Stoeger 3500. I'm not gentle on gear by any stretch and this gun has done everything I've ever needed it to. Been everywhere from dipped in saltwater to fully submerged in muddy marshes to Lubbock sandstorms and it just keeps hammering.

One of the main guys I hunt with runs his in his boat (in the bay) without a case or anything. It's been soaking wet in saltwater, used as an anchor, and a walking stick to get out of soul-sucking mud. I actually bought mine after watching him abuse his for a whole season. None of these are the primary uses for the gun, but duck hunting happens, and I've never worried about babying it of it was going to fire the next time I pulled the trigger. It comes with a few chokes and a recoil reducer out of the box. Strongly recommend installing the reducer as it helps a ton, especially when you're throwing bigger loads at bigger birds.

Good luck with your choice

Comment

Beretta A300, you won’t regret it.

Comment

I bought a Beretta 390 silver mallard 7 or 8 years ago off texasgunbroker. I have nicer and newer but that is my go to gun and it just flat runs. I stopped counting rounds after I ran 3,000 through it. If you can find one online I’d highly recommend going that route.

Comment

Franchi affinity

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                              Quality has gone down a lot on the Remington 870 in my opinion. For a new pump, I'd take a nova.
                              Disappointing but true.

Biggest issue is jammed shells.

Here is the fix

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlGoxNsaieE"] - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Buy you a stoeger 3500. Take it apart and clean all the grease they jam into it. I promise you it'll out perform its counter parts in its price range.

Comment

Working...
                                X