Another RV electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another RV electrical question

Went to my Lease to pay my dues and check things. Lease holder mentioned lightning hit a tree in my camp.
    I heard my varmint alarm from outside and thought everything was ok. That was about the only thing working! One plug, microwave, and TV had power to them.
    Lights, refrigerator, the three slides, or any other plugs worked. I didn’t try A/C’s. Only one breaker was tripped so I reset it and it didn’t change anything.
    I forgot about GFI, but I only remember the plug in the bathroom having a reset. I flipped the main breaker and turned it back on and CO monitor worked.
    I can get the slides in with an impact to pull it home.
    Besides 12 volt inverter, is there anything else I can check or do to bring it home to a shop? Luckily I have insurance.

You may have a bunch of fuses that blew.

Comment

Generally when lightning hits rv's , they tend to burn the converters. I didn't understand where you did or didn't have power. So if your converter is bad and your battery is bad, you shouldn't have any 12v lights, slide out, etc

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
        Generally when lightning hits rv's , they tend to burn the converters. I didn't understand where you did or didn't have power. So if your converter is bad and your battery is bad, you shouldn't have any 12v lights, slide out, etc
        I was hoping you would answer.
        The plug where I have my electric mouse repeller, the microwave, and a TV have power to them. I didn’t try any more plugs which I should have because they should be 110. I also should have tried A/C’s, but my thermostat was bad to my main A/C already and I didn’t try the other roof air. I figured lights, slides, and other 12 volt would be converter issue, but what throws me off is the refrigerator. If camper is plugged in and selector is in auto, why wouldn’t refrigerator work?
        Last edited by Grndchecker; 04-24-2018, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grndchecker View Post
          I was hoping you would answer.
          The plug where I have my electric mouse repeller, the microwave, and a TV have power to them. I didn’t try any more plugs which I should have because they should be 110. I also should have tried A/C’s, but my thermostat was bad to my main A/C already and I didn’t try the other roof air. I figured lights, slides, and other 12 volt would be converter issue, but what throws me off is the refrigerator. If camper is plugged in and selector is in auto, why wouldn’t refrigerator work?
          Because the controls on the fridge is 12 volts DC, without it, your PC board onthe fridge will not work. Also, you TStat for A/C needs 12v to operate

Comment

Thanks. I will look into model number for converter.

Comment

Borrowed my brothers rv for the weekend and he had a similar issue. I did some online research narrowed it down to the converter. I bought it and installed it, now it’s working like a charm. Figured it was the least I could do for letting me borrow it.

I know zero about this type of stuff or electrical in general and I had it swapped in about 2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mudmauler View Post
                Borrowed my brothers rv for the weekend and he had a similar issue. I did some online research narrowed it down to the converter. I bought it and installed it, now it’s working like a charm. Figured it was the least I could do for letting me borrow it.

I know zero about this type of stuff or electrical in general and I had it swapped in about 2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Same here. I’m not very good with electrical issues. First issue is I have to figure out where my converter is even located in my camper. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Comment

Working...
                X