No announcement yet.

Lake Meredith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jmack, I wonder if that's normal weekdays when most others are working, or if that's weeknds? I'm hoping to get up there around the 9th-13th to glass around and see it myself. I drew one hunt that'll be just before that if I can get it done. Can't find/afford/won't pay for a corn feeder-box blind-lease and can't survive on one drawn hunt every couple years. I would think there should be weeks up there when very few hunters are out, working OT before holidays, etc. Any thoughts?

Comment

Weekends are the worst for sure. During the week there is less pressure but it’s still pretty bad. When I’ve gone I always stayed for a week. I feel like it got worse during covid when more people were out of work or working from home. It’s also the closest thing to Amarillo so a lot of people come from there. I even ran into guys from NM and OK that didn’t draw tags. A few people started posting pics and it went downhill in a hurry. Not to mention the horse guys during muley season that ride every canyon in the entire park.

Comment

Yeah, covid brought a lot of people out to get started or spend more time in the outdoors, and the retail/equipment/boat companies dumped everything they could into advertising, as well as all the online promotion using the big tech. I wonder if kids sports and things being back to normal might reduce the crowds some, compared to 2020. The kids soccer people are pretty die hard, lol. I hope to avoid the horsemen during whitetail, if I even make it up there. I drew a rifle hunt at the Brierwood unit of Trinity River NWR and don't hear the greatest. I'm going to try and fit in a few days on a standby hunt at the Aransas NWR too. At the same time, I'm trying to figure out how to swing a few days up there at Meredith. Believe it or not I spent the last several years figuring I'd never get to hunt much again after losing access to what used to be a family ranch. So I'm just grateful to have these opportunities to get out on these properties and hunt again, even if it'll be much tougher.

Comment

I hear you there. I enjoy checking new places out and it’s a big place. Just watch out for rattlers. I’ve come across them every trip I have been there except when there was snow.

Comment

Lake Meredith is a real pain in the <....> and jmack is right on, I think this thread alone has caused most of it and I did my part.

I have been earning points and looking to other states, really looking towards Wyoming with hopes that the family will also hunt.

I found this youtube of a family in Ak all hunting and making videos, I was inspired, all my kids can do this too: https://www.youtube.com/c/GrowingUpA...milyAdventures

I still hunt Meredith but I hunt it completely different these days. I drive an old tan 94' FZJ80 with a tx bow hunter sticker on it, if you ever see it stop and say hi.

I would recommend that you never hike out there with a round chambered or an arrow nocked and if you are on the lake take extra precaution, so many fatalities over the years on the water.

God bless and safe hunting this season!

Comment

Hey gang, I’ve stayed quiet on here for the exact reasons mentioned, as to not draw much traffic to LM. With that being said, I just got home last night from hunting it my first time Monday afternoon through Wednesday lunchtime. On the north half, hardly any traffic, saw 2-3 trucks moving through the trails, but never saw anyone on foot. Hunted very hard, saw 9 total muleys between glassing and brush busting, only one being a buck (a small spike at that). Put a solid stalk on it into a canyon bottom but let it walk at 60. Regardless of no harvest and low buck traffic (Oct. is tough for mule deer anyways), it was an amazing experience. Beautiful and rough country. Quiet nights besides the coyotes. Best of luck to anybody headed out the rest of the season, but yeah… don’t too many people go.

Comment

Jeremy put together a perfect stalk and placed a perfect arrow on this buck, and he came after Austin for revenge. Austin scrambled to zoom out and move out ...

Comment

Only used bow and iron sights, never a scope but now my eyes are failing me so I went to the Amarillo shooting complex again this afternoon, 3rd try now. I am having hell sighting in a rifle scope, have never done it and need some help. Could anyone PM me, I just need to talk through what I am doing and maybe you can tell me what I am doing wrong?
                  Last edited by chastings77; 10-20-2022, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Lake Meredith Cleanup Saturday Sept. 23rd:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-08-28 at 9.59.02 AM.png
Views:	139
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	26570219

Comment

Working...
                    X