Carbon Fiber Bolsters issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Fiber Bolsters issues

Just learnin but I love the look of carbon fiber bolsters on a knife. However, I've heard bits, pieces, and snippets of the horrors of working with the stuff. Anybody have some knowledge of the issues involved with breathing this stuff, itching etc.?

my only word of adviser is don't breathe ANYTHING when grinding and sanding knife stuff (metal, g10, micarta)..none of it is good for you! always a respirator in well ventilated area...ive worked with lots of handle materials but never carbon fiber, so can't help ya much with it's caveats

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by coachk View Post
      my only word of adviser is don't breathe ANYTHING when grinding and sanding knife stuff (metal, g10, micarta)..none of it is good for you! always a respirator in well ventilated area...ive worked with lots of handle materials but never carbon fiber, so can't help ya much with it's caveats

advice, dangit!!haha

Comment

I have used it quite a bit , Like Ben said use a good respirator and I'd suggest putting a fan close by with an a/c filter on it that helps get the dust out of the air pretty quick.

Comment

They say a respirator is required when sanding Ironwood too. I didn't wear one and the dust gave me a sinus drip big time.

Comment

carbon fiber never has really bothered me. G10 causes me all kinds of itching though. but like mentioned above don't be breathing any of it.

Comment

There will be black dust everywhere. Other than that, treat it like you're sanding any of the other knifemaking things that will kill you

Comment

I was told once, if you are sanding Carbon fiber and breathe it in, there is no way for the lungs to get it back out, the fibers latch on or something to that effect. That scares the crap out of me

Comment

Working...
                X