Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown bag flooring?

Anybody done it?

Wife is wanting new floors, we have considered vinyl snap lock plank and tile that looks like wood.

She was in a house this weekend that had the brown bag floor and thinks she wants to go that way. Fine with me because it is very cheap (should be able to do all of what she wants for $400 or less) which will leave money for her to get new furniture and me to get a safe.

Only person I know that has done it was happy with it, just want to see what others thought about it

Never heard of it. Would like to see a pic of it.

Comment

I googled it and there are loads of pics and how to's

Kind of looks like stained concrete but different

If we end up doing it I will definitely start a thread and show start to finish

Comment

I googled it after seeing this thread. Pretty neat looking floor. Seems pretty labor intensive to install.

Comment

Looks pretty cool, would like to see the process myself.

Comment

My wife and I spoke with a lady in the Frisco area a couple years back that was trying to recruit potential distributors for her system. The big secret was in the finish that she used. It sealed and also left a sheen, but it was not wax. She had some pretty neat samples. You can put just about anything you want into your paper design....photos, cut outs from wall paper, whatever. You can even dye the paper to get some color.

Comment

co-worker did it and was happy with it

Comment

I looked into it pretty seriously. In the end I went with stick down vinyl planks with a lifetime warranty. At $1.17 sq ft for the vinyl, it wasn't worth the headache of doing the paper bag method. From my experience witht he vinyl, make sure you seal the slab with a paint made for that. I did not do that and have had trouble with the the planks wanting to come up near exterior doors and walls due to humidity in the slab. The center of the room has stayed down great. I did our smaller living room which is around 300 sq feet or so. I will certainly paint the floor before I do the big living room. What I didn't realize is that the adhesive used on those planks never dries. Good for repairs and such but bad for sticking it and it staying stuck regardless of conditions.

Comment

We did a hall entryway at my old house years ago. Looked pretty good and held up well. This was about 20 years ago so don't really remember the method we used. It was work but sure didn't cost much! Good luck!

Comment

Brian, I would get the safe first!! Take it from someone who lost over $18000.00 in hunting gear!

Comment

I have a friend that did it. Looked pretty good

Comment

In, wanting to do it in our 14'-40' game room. Just sounds like ALOT of work.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          Anybody done it?

Wife is wanting new floors, we have considered vinyl snap lock plank and tile that looks like wood.

She was in a house this weekend that had the brown bag floor and thinks she wants to go that way. Fine with me because it is very cheap (should be able to do all of what she wants for $400 or less) which will leave money for her to get new furniture and me to get a safe.

Only person I know that has done it was happy with it, just want to see what others thought about it
                          Cool idea. Did some google-fu and came across some links for people doing it on countertops as well. My wife is very intrigued and this may save me some money so thanks!!

Comment

As a commercial building consultant I stay on top of just about every type of product and applications. Great treatment with longevity; however what everyone here has overlooked is the PREPERATION work required. On new cured concrete not as much prep work, but take a house that was build by a production contractor more than likely when you take up your carpet the perimeter of each room will have texture and paint round the entire room. Most contractors will not protect the floors in new construction where carpet is going to be used.
                            The concrete will have to be ground down to eliminate everything off the concrete, but grinding concrete will leave exposed aggregate and not the smooth look as finished concrete.
                            I have looked into and for all the work and cost and God knows what it will look like after grinding I would come out better installing hard wood floors.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post
                              As a commercial building consultant I stay on top of just about every type of product and applications. Great treatment with longevity; however what everyone here has overlooked is the PREPERATION work required. On new cured concrete not as much prep work, but take a house that was build by a production contractor more than likely when you take up your carpet the perimeter of each room will have texture and paint round the entire room. Most contractors will not protect the floors in new construction where carpet is going to be used.
                              The concrete will have to be ground down to eliminate everything off the concrete, but grinding concrete will leave exposed aggregate and not the smooth look as finished concrete.
                              I have looked into and for all the work and cost and God knows what it will look like after grinding I would come out better installing hard wood floors.
                              I figured having to scrape floors to get paint and such up but not grinding them.

This is not a stain of the concrete and I see no reason to need to grind anything as the paper is laid down and then sealed.

Let me know what I am missing and why I would need to grind the slab. If that is the case I will be doing something different

Comment

Working...
                              X