Learning to Weld?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning to Weld?

I'm an avid DIYer and can't stand paying anyone to do anything.

I've always wanted to learn to weld for projects like building trailers and car ports etc. but don't have the time to commit to taking a class somewhere.
    I also want my work to be high quality.

Any of you guys know any good resources for learning to weld?

Im worried if I buy what I need to start tinkering I'll just start slapping things together and then trust myself too much.. and have a structure fall on me, or worse my truck.

Ol thumper or someone on here was offering to teach people for 100 a day and he provides everything.

Comment

If you have access to a welder, YouTube will take you a long ways.

Comment

check out weldingweb.com

i would just buy a machine and watch some youtube video instructions. they even have recorded classed on there and you can get a general idea. then just practice practice practice. if you post pics of your beads or welds on weldingweb they have no problem telling you how bad you suck. i like honest critcism.

Comment

Get that stinger in your hand and get after it!!

Comment

Any thoughts on which welder to get as a starter? I see one at Lowe's/Home Depot on sale.

Would I be better off going to a welder supply store? I'd feel like a woman going to get a car repaired.. I dont want to leave buying "headlight fluid"

What else will I need? I have a grinder.

Comment

I taught myself with an Ancient stick welder in college when I worked for a Small Equipment/ Party Rental Company...

During slow times of the day I would grab pieces of scrap and just start playing around.

After a week or two I was repairing our equipment when it came in with broken welds (which was often, all of the ditchers were ancient and beat to death).

When I ended up with a MIG I had a learning curve to figure out settings especially with gas involved but that didn't take long.

Like anything If you read up and/ or watch somebody else do it you can pick it up.

I don't have the steadiest hand but I can run a pretty decent bead.

My .02

Comment

get a MIG, you can run fluxcore wire in it until you get enough to buy the gas and bottles ect. MIG is much easier imo. get a decent helmet, some gloves, clamps, chipping hammer and wire brush and you should be good for now.

Comment

Yup 110v lincoln or miller will get you where you need to get. Welding web and youtube.

got my youtube welding certification a long time ago!

Comment

The best approach is to go to adult education classes offered ususally thru local high schools, there you can try all different types of equipment and get instruction from qualified instructors.

Then you will have the knowledge to make good choices on equipment based on your own abilities.

But do stay away from your lowes depot type welders.

Comment

If your local community college offers classes in welding than I would start there. Best $300 I ever spent was at Austin Community College taking their welding processes class. It taught arc welding, Oxy Acetlyne, TIG, and MIG. Anyone can put two pieces of metal together and lay down a bead that looks nice. But there is a little science behind not having that weld break. As far as welders go Lincoln and Millers are both great. Stay away from Harbor freight welders, they will just frustrate you.

Comment

As far as metal goes head to your local metal distribution shop and look at the drop racks to get cheap pieces to practice welding on. Around .40 cents per pound. Take soap stone or chalk, make some lines on some plate, and practice your beads.

Comment

Buy an auto darkening helmet, they cost twice as much but worth 4 times as much.

Comment

Learn basics on your own, youtube, etc. I learned from my grandfather, plus high school. When you think you have it down go spend a couple days with a good fitter.

It's a skill, more you do it better you'll be

Comment

Not knocking youtube, but I have watched a lot of those videos and some of those guys are self taught. Get yourself in a class at local community college and learn from someone who knows something. Learn to stick weld first, much better to stick first and mig next. Reverse seems to be harder when trying to learn to stick weld. Buy a Miller or Lincoln, don't waste your money on anything else.
                              After you burn a train car load of rods, you might be a welder!
                              I teach welding and will be glad to answer any questions you might have.
                              Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X