Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Started The New Mini-Shop Last Night......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started The New Mini-Shop Last Night......

With the baby coming, my dreams for the 30X40 man space has been put on hold. Therefore, the 12X12 mower shed that I was gonna build behind it......has grown a little to suffice for projects and such until I can afford the big shop, and is now 15X18.

I started buildin trusses last night.....the 1st one took a while, but I've got all the measurements now and I can use the 1st one for a jig.

A question for you engineer types: Dad and I have recently aquired a freakin butt-load of 2X2 16ga tubing. The whole structure will be built out of it, save for the corners which I'll get some 3" for. I was planning on building 4 trusses, one for each end wall, and two in between, meaning the purlins would span a little under 6 feet.....no problem. Dad suggested I could get by with 3 trusses, 1 for each end wall, and 1 in the middle......which is no problem. My question is can I span 9 feet with the light wall 2" tubing purlins? Not that it makes a lot of difference, but the purlin won't set on top of the trusses like normal, but will be cut and welded in between them all, same for the walls. The roof will have a purlin an inch or two from the ridge on either side, one within an inch or two of where it meets the wall, and one evenly spaced between. The building will be "sheathed" in R-Panel.

A LOT of the tubing is in 59", and like 64" pieces.....so we grabbed this jig thing to clamp it up straight to weld together for longer pieces.

The more astute among you will notice dad's new welder behind the little Miller 175 that he gave me.

Here's some of the tubing stash...
    Last edited by Dale Moser; 11-18-2010, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Nevermind ~ barely beat me to it...

Lookin forward to this thread for sure. BTW - what welder you using?

Comment

Originally posted by texasryan9 View Post
        Nevermind ~ barely beat me to it...

Lookin forward to this thread for sure. BTW - what welder you using?
        You can see it in pic #2, it's a Miller 175. I think the newer version is a 180. Dad's new rig is behind it.......he's still ironing out some wiring issues between the power source and the wire feed.....or I'd be road testing that baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          You can see it in pic #2, it's a Miller 175. I think the newer version is a 180. Dad's new rig is behind it.......he's still ironing out some wiring issues between the power source and the wire feed.....or I'd be road testing that baby!
          I thought that it was a Miller, but there have been so many discussions lately about welders that I had gotten some wires crossed somewhere.

Looking forward to the updates as I am planning something similar after the season is over. Work looks great so far. Thanks for sharing.

Ryan

Comment

looking good bro.!

Comment

IMO, the 9' span is nothing.
              I think you could even have a few less vertical braces in there. Maybe build the two end walls like you have them and then omit all the verticals, except the center one, in the center perlin.

I love the Moser build-a-longs ... a brick **** house ain't got nuttin' on you!

Comment

It's not gonna be near big enuff.
                Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Originally posted by Joey~AP View Post
                  It's not gonna be near big enuff.
                  You don't pay attention worth a crap! It's gonna have to be big enough for now, unless you wanna sponsor this kid you bugged me about for 3 years. Just big enough to get my mowers and yard junk out of my garage.....and build deer blinds and 4Runner bumpers in.....till I can afford the big shop.

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                  IMO, the 9' span is nothing.
                  I think you could even have a few less vertical braces in there. Maybe build the two end walls like you have them and then omit all the verticals, except the center one, in the center perlin.
                  I'm gonna take out a vertical brace in the end walls.

Comment

Go Bigger my friend. You Can't have one too big.

Comment

Whoops you posted in between mine and Joeys.....

Comment

Looking good so far Dale!

Comment

9' should be no problem. We did a 30 x 50 and went 12' and some change with 2'' sq trusses. However, I am no engineer. I just stick and grind it till it stands up straight

Good luck, will be looking for the final product.

Comment

I used same material for a 6'x8' blind... one 8' piece through the ridge and it was plenty stout... i would venture you could use the 2" for the corners
                            as well just add a brace or 2... Heck if the little cheap steel sheds from sears will span 10' with a piece of galvanized sheet metal... this should be great.
                            If you dont want it permanent build it with bolt up plates and when the man shed materializes take this on to the lease to put Scrat in...

Comment

3rd truss tacked up and almost done.

I might be turning into a real welder!

Yes, that is a grocery sack cooler...

I changed my mind on taking some up-rights out of the endwall trusses.....never know when I might want to take a wall out. Besides, I liked the look of the 2nd truss better.....it came out with just a little "crown" in the bottom piece, so I want it in the middle. Sure was nice to get up off the floor and weld on the caballos last night.

Ordering doors and window next week.
                              Last edited by Dale Moser; 11-19-2010, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X