Buck Rub Height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buck Rub Height

Something I've been trying to learn more about is using the height of a rub to determine the age class of the deer that made it. I found a pretty cut and dry system on the internet that goes as follows:

Shin High: 1.5 Years Old

Knee High: 2.5 Years Old

Thigh High: 3.5 Years Old

Waist & Higher: Mature

Obviously, we're not all the same height and individual deer have differing characteristics (rack structure, body size, etc.). However, these reference points should be pretty close for most of us.

Since I started looking into this, I've noticed a definite difference in rub heights in the field. I'm curious if anyone has a system like this and has confirmed/denied it's accuracy.

Comment

Uuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
      Last edited by mikeyb_23; 07-01-2018, 12:59 PM.

Comment

No

You're joking right?

Comment

Not sure I’d hang my hat on that method..

Comment

You serious Clark?

Comment

I’ve seen “studies” done on this by experienced hunters and some would agree some wouldn’t. Bucks use a lot of different rubs but it seems to be that finding a rub doesn’t help unless you know what it means. A tree that looks like it’s been wore out from your ankles to your waist was probably multiple deer on a community rub. A trail of rubs along the midpoint of a hill would probably lead to/from bedding. Etc. etc. what I’ve seen people confirm on rub heights I think will vary. It’s possible that all waist high and higher rubs could be mature bucks, but if you put a camera on it don’t be surprised if a yearling is there working it. It’s good to find rubs, but don’t hang your hat on them. Find the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Best way to size up a deer with a rub is the size of the tree. When you see a rub on a 4" tree, he usually has decent antlers. Best to hunt in areas of 6" to 8" rubs

Comment

I'm not saying this is a guaranteed way to gauge the age/size of the deer that made the rub. However, it makes sense that a group of rubs produced by a 5.5 year old deer would look different than a group of rubs produced by a 2.5 year old deer. In every case, no. But in general, I would say yes.

Comment

Ive never heard of craziness (no offense) such as this. Here is one from last year. I sat in the stand and watched the deer work this tree over. The branch is 4"-5" in diameter and the buck was a solid 3.5 year old. The rub starts about 18" off the ground and goes up to past my shoulders...or about 5' up

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Deer aren’t all the same size at the same age. And they don’t all act the same. Just like people. File this one away as a nope. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
                        Ive never heard of craziness (no offense) such as this. Here is one from last year. I sat in the stand and watched the deer work this tree over. The branch is 4"-5" in diameter and the buck was a solid 3.5 year old. The rub starts about 18" off the ground and goes up to past my shoulders...or about 5' up

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                        This made me realize I left out a couple details on my original post that may help this make more sense. The reference points I listed are based on the center (vertically) of rubs and straight trees (as straight as possible since a bent/angled tree will allow the deer's horns to reach higher on the tree).

The center of 18" & 60" is 39". If you take out a few inches for the bend in the tree you're at waist high on me (I'm about 5'-9"). That puts you pretty close to the reference points in my original post. I guess my point is that it sounds like it was a nice deer and the height of the rub reflected that. It wasn't exact, but it's not going to be.

Comment

Check this one off the list.

Comment

I like it as a reference. Just like everything else I’ve ever learned. But the more I learn about deer, the more I realize that I don’t know diddly. Not my words. But can’t remember where I heard them. Maybe El Gato.

Comment

Put a camera on it. You can better tell the age from seeing the deer than looking solely at a tree.

Comment

Working...
                              X