10 pointer down in Gillespie Co. one pic is graphic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 pointer down in Gillespie Co. one pic is graphic

Well, I got into my DB yesterday for the afternoon hunt around 4pm. I was feeling good about the evening hunt since I had lots of activity yesterday morning. Around 5pm, I had three whitetail does and two fawns appear at my feeder. I was having fun watching the little fawns eat and play. When all of a sudden I saw movement in some brush, then I heard a grut. I looked through my binos but could not see him clearly. A few minutes later, Mr. Ten walks out and I immediately begin to take determine his maturity.

As he walks towards my feeder he stops to play with a pig pipe that is filled with "candy" corn. At this point my heart begins to race a little, luckily I had to wait ten minutes before he could present me with a shot. Once he presented me with an opportunity, I drew my 45lb. Bowtech Equalizer back and let the Easton Full metal jacket arrow fly.... "Thwack." I see the arrow hit and the Lumenock is on! I knew he still had the arrow in him. He immediately jumps and runs out of sight. Wow, I can not believe I never got nervous during all the action. Second bow harvest and second whitetail buck!

I waited 30 minutes then head back to camp to await help with tracking and recovery. We finally start tracking and within ten yards, we find the broken arrow and the lumenock. We follow a nice blood trail and now I really feel good about the shot cause I am find lots of good red blood. We find an area where he laid down, then just a few more drops of blood. Now, I am getting a sick feeling! He rolled and in dirt and leaves to stop the bleeding. We continue to look for blood but still no sign of fresh blood. Next, we bring in the dog. The dog gets on the trail but had some difficulty when the blood stopped. Luckily, 20 yards ahead of the last blood sign we find my ten and a nice good blood signs!

The "atom" broadhead and full metal jacket did lots of damage! My shot was not where I wanted it since it was about 2inches high and 2inches behind my target area. I was doubting my shot and beating myself up for missing my mark! However, my shot did produce a good clean ethical harvest. The deer was found about 70 yards from where I shot the deer. We had a great blood trail for the first 50yds and would have continued had he not rolled in the dirt. I guess he was trying to take a dirt nap!

On a side not, arrow broke off but the atom/full metal jacket combination continued to do its job. We recovered the other half of the arrow. The final resting area of the broadhead was at his femoral artery. Do not ask me how that happen, because I do not know except that the arrow just continued to penetrate what ever was in the way.

I am so happy and excited that God blessed me with this harvest and assisted in the recovery! God, I love this sport of Archery!

Last edited by axisbuck24; 03-01-2010, 12:52 AM.

congrats

Comment

congrats...great buck

Comment

Congrats! that's a nie one. That's not the one Barbara had the mishap on last wekend was it?

Nice buck,

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          Congrats! that's a nie one. That's not the one Barbara had the mishap on last wekend was it?

Nice buck,

Bisch
          Thanks Bisch! No her buck is still out there waiting on her. As a matter of fact, she is sitting in blind hoping she gets an opportunity this morning. However, all the rain is keeping the deer from moving. If this continues we might have to throw out some life jackets fro the deer.

Comment

congrats

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Way to go. Good buck

Comment

Nice buck! Congrats.

Comment

Congratulations girl... That's a great buck!!!

Comment

congrats

Comment

Good job congrats

Comment

very nice, congrats

Comment

Nice buck.

Comment

Good to hear you closed the deal without your heart pumping out of your chest. Great pics

Comment

Working...
                              X