Us navy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Us navy

i have decided to join the us navy. are there any of yall that are current or retired navy guys??

congratulations. been there done that, loved every second of it, and would do it again if they would let me. flushed more blue water than a lot of folks have seen in their lives!! what will you be working on after boot, and where are you destined?

Comment

I was in the USN also. The only thing I can tell you is get in the Aviation ratings. Put in for an east coast out fit. Tell them you want to be in a VP Squardron, then you will never go on a ship. It's an easier live in the air virses the ship live!!
      I got out as a AMS-2 " Aviation Metal Smith" Wish I had stayed my 20!!
      This was the Squadron I was in,1966-1070. Look around on the site, might give you some ideas. Or e-mail me.
      Grant

Comment

Congrats my brother law was in the Navy he enjoyed it. There are a few guys on here I'm sure they will chime in

Comment

congrats. go navy!!! love the navy. thay allways give my son a free boat ride to were the trouble is.lol. thank you for your service

Comment

i jsut sat down withe recruiter today and he said that it would be best to sign up at the start of the month. but i am wanting to get into the paramedic side of it or just medic side in general as this is what i want to do after the navy.. if i can get into fire school while i am there that would b cool but if not ill go on my own and use NAVY money to pay for it.. but instead of just getting Certificates like i planned i will get a fire science degree...

Comment

Did eight (8) as a shipboard electrician (EM rating). Advise...don't go in un-rated...get an A-School guaranteed after boot. Watch who you hang out with...getting in with the wrong crowd can lead to a lot of fun, but a lot of Captain's Masts as well (that equals less rank, restricted duty and sometimes costs you money). Make the most of it...

Comment

not really sure where im destined... its a chance to see the world and being only 23 i think its well worth it..

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_bowhunter View Post
                  i jsut sat down withe recruiter today and he said that it would be best to sign up at the start of the month. but i am wanting to get into the paramedic side of it or just medic side in general as this is what i want to do after the navy.. if i can get into fire school while i am there that would b cool but if not ill go on my own and use NAVY money to pay for it.. but instead of just getting Certificates like i planned i will get a fire science degree...
                  Sounds like you want to be a Corpsman (HM rating) - they go everywhere, land, sea, overseas, with the Marines. As far as firefighting - on board ship...almost everyone is a firefighter.

If you want to be a full time "fireman", that would be a Damage Controlman (DC rating)...

Comment

If you're going for a corpsman rating, try to get assigned to the Men's department of the Navy.

Comment

good luck! i was a corpsman with the marines at camp pendleton ca. 89'-95'

Comment

GO NAVY CORPSMAN!!!!! I was a navy corpsman for 4 years. I got out and started to work on computers...I guess computers can die and it isn't such a big deal.

The one thing I will warn you about is make sure you don't get too shaken when your first patient dies...mine was about 2 hours old and I was in a room balling for about an hour after that. I don't mind telling you this because I don't think any real man on this site would have done much different.

While you are in as a corpsman you will have ample opportunity to get all of the certificates that will help you to become a Paramedic. I am not sure if you will be able to take the actual test to be called a Paramedic while you are in the Navy, but if you keep close with some of the guys at an ER or fire station where you are going to get live after the Navy (if you get out) then they should be able to help you...yes, I am making plans for 4 years in the future because this is going to be how you have to start thinking. Start to think NOW where you would like to see, then when you get to your first duty station, start to see what openings are in the area that you want to go next. Just a little info.

Comment

I'll refrain from making any "remarks." The navy is just fine my friend. If I is where you will get the most outta your time served then that's the place for you! Think long and hard, its a big commitment, and not always the sight-seeing trip that recruiters can make it out to be. Be ready to work your tail off, be uncomfortable, and pushed to limits you never imagined you could reach. You'll never be the same or look at things the same again. You will be a better and wiser man for it! Congrats on the future and what it holds for you. Deciding to serve your country is a most honorable and sacrificing decision to make. I wish you all the best! Ooh-rah!!!

Comment

Congrats on your decision.
                            I was in the Navy during the Vietnam era (1968-1972). After boot camp I went to "A" school in San Diego for Dental Technicians. We were also trained to be medics for the Marines.
                            I was assigned to the Naval Hospital in Naples ,Italy for my first two years (Oral Surgery Tech) and then to the USS Coral Sea CVA-43 to Vietnam's Gulf of Tonkin.

I would not trade my experiences for anything. Take the opportunity to see the world.

I will pass on a piece of advice that my father (Captain Line Officer) gave me when I went off to boot camp.
                            "No matter how "silly" or "of no consequence" you think a test is, try to do your absolute best and you will reap the rewards." With this in mind I made E-5 in 24 months. This will have more meaning to you after you are actually in for a while.

I had the opportunity to visit and tour the USS Lexington CV-16 in Corpus this past week and it brought back some fine memories. I still email a couple of my shipmates from back then. (37+ years ago).
                            Call me if you want to talk.

Comment

Do NOT GO IN WITHOUT A GUARANTEED JOB. my only advice, im not in the Navy but ive been around them

Comment

Working...
                              X