• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

armadillo

Need a recipe for armadillo.
    Can someone help?

I ate it as a kid and it was goooood!

My grandmother told me her family ate them roasted. She said they gutted them and removed the head and tail then filled the cavity with carrots, onions, and potatoes and cooked em whole. blech! lol

Comment

smothered armadillo...3lb meat 2chopped onions 1chopped bell pepper 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 stick chopped celery, 1 stick margarine, 1/2 cup mixed onion tops and parsley chopped, 1tablespoon flour,1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce, small can of mushrooms,1/2 cup burgundy wine creole seasoning and pepper... add margarine to dutch oven. fry meat until brown. add all the vegetables and let saute 5 or so minutes. add the wine and mushroom juice. cover and let simmer until meat is tender, add water if needed.also add at this time the onion tops and parsley, remove meat from pot and add a mixture water and flour to make a smooth paste, cook 5 minutes and pour over meat and serve with white rice.. servers 6.. injoy

Comment

Possum on the half shell!

Comment

They taste like pork.I've eaten it barbequed and it was great.

Comment

BBQ and chicken fried. Good both ways.

Comment

The funny thing about eating my first one. I was a kid, JR High, I think and my brother was in High School. My dad killed an armadillo and dressed it out before we saw it. He didn't tell us what it was. My brother and I devoured it! It was really good. Dad finally told us what it was a couple of days later, He also told us, that when he tried to eat some of it, it just got bigger and bigger in his mouth! He coulsn't do it! lol

Comment

I've heard they are disease infested animals? Is that incorrect? I've also heard they are deliscious but never tried it. I have 1 friend who loves to cook them. He said they're like a rabit on steroids....lots of meat.

Comment

dbhiii, i will try to answer your ?. I'm old school so bear with me. try to look at it this way, we all love chicken fired, cooked or what ever. in reality, the chicken is probable the nastiest eating bird in th world. they will eat anything. so what does an armadilla eat? just plants and roots and what the good creaturor has given it to eat. it is just a 50/50 chance you could go to your local store today and buy a $30 ribeye pumped full of steriods or try the armadilla that only eats plants and roots and die of lepresy as legend has it. i had it several times when i was young and i am still around today.
                  it was great. hopes this helps.

Comment

Be careful handling those things!

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
                      dbhiii, i will try to answer your ?. I'm old school so bear with me. try to look at it this way, we all love chicken fired, cooked or what ever. in reality, the chicken is probable the nastiest eating bird in th world. they will eat anything. so what does an armadilla eat? just plants and roots and what the good creaturor has given it to eat. it is just a 50/50 chance you could go to your local store today and buy a $30 ribeye pumped full of steriods or try the armadilla that only eats plants and roots and die of lepresy as legend has it. i had it several times when i was young and i am still around today.
                      it was great. hopes this helps.
                      Thanks Waterdog...you make a great point. I'll be sure and try it next time its around.

Comment

Working...
                      X