Trailer - new boards or expanded metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer - new boards or expanded metal?

Picked up a new-to-me 6x12 single axle trailer yesterday...several of the deck boards are pretty soft.

Any suggestions as to replacing the deck boards with new treated boards, or expanded metal?

Will mostly haul two ATVs, can throw down plywood if I need to haul dirt, mulch, etc.

Who has had both? Likes, dislikes of either or both?

Thanks!

I like boards but i did haul my kids bikes and other camping stuff with an expanded metal trailer last summer and being able to tie off literally anywhere was nice.

If you go back with boards just do this
    We seen it done with a jack which is safer but I didn't have one and it needed done and this worked out fine.

Comment

I am not a fan of expanded metal decks. Sag over time in between braces.

Wood decks drive me nuts but support weight better. If you clean/power wash every year or so and treat with wood sealer they will last a long time.

My personal preference is diamond plate steel decking. Only disadvantage I can think of is the lack of flex. A lighter duty trailer will flex a lot causing the spot welds to pop loose. Still my favorite deck material.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shB0Czl3LwU
        That has potential for injury!

I like it!

Comment

Originally posted by Todd-ty729 View Post
          That has potential for injury!

I like it!
          When i replaced the boards on my trailer i had a stack of bricks underneath the board and when ready i hit them with a sledge. But yes, potential is there

Comment

Wood for sure for me.

Comment

Just remember, if you have expanded metal decking, all the road film/dust/mud/water will saturate anything you have on the trailer, top to bottom... I didn't like mine... cut it off and put treated 2" timbers on it...

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                I like boards but i did haul my kids bikes and other camping stuff with an expanded metal trailer last summer and being able to tie off literally anywhere was nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shB0Czl3LwU
                A hydraulic jack works a lot safer. Just let it down slow.

Comment

Diamond Plate

Comment

treated boards. expanded metal wont hold much weight

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      Just remember, if you have expanded metal decking, all the road film/dust/mud/water will saturate anything you have on the trailer, top to bottom... I didn't like mine... cut it off and put treated 2" timbers on it...
                      Expanded metal SUUUUUCKS!

It tears up everything you drag across it, everything hangs up on it, stuff falls through and drags.....and like Charlie said, if you pull one in the rain or dust your stuff will be COVERED. And it will eventually break right next to the welds, then it rattles like hell.

Comment

I am about to replace mine with aluminum bleacher planks. Won’t rust or rot!!! This should be the last floor I ever have to put in this trailer!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I need to replace ours now. I'm considering going to the sawmill for hardwood.

Comment

try and find some Apitong lumber, that will be the last one you ever put in it.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtechbandit View Post
                              try and find some Apitong lumber, that will be the last one you ever put in it.
                              Is that the stuff they use on 18 wheeler trailers?

No way would I use expanded metal on a small trailer. Makes it too light and it bounces everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X