Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    I havent been able to log on for almost three weeks. i sent several messages to Admin and even asked other members to send messages for me but never heard what was going on. this morning, I was able to log in just fine so something got fixed I guess. ill write up a couple stories..

Glad everything is squared away hopefully!! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the season!

Comment

I have been watching an old nine pt for several years. he had an ear ripped right down the middle so he was easy to ID. he is either six or seven years old and never amounted to a lot. that made him just right for a kid deer. He would come regular and then drop out of sight a couple weeks before starting to come regular at another stand.

I had one of my nephews(Aaron) hunting with me one morning for another buck and we stopped by a stand on the way home and grabbed the card out of the camera. I was surprised to see the old nine i the corn at 435 pm the evening before. Knowing his pattern of hitting a spot regular for several days before dropping out, we decided to give him a try that evening. With the wind marginal, I knew we would have to sit a box stand 200yds back and was a little worried about it. The kid is a good shot but missed the buck of a lifetime last year at 150yds.

We got in about 3pm and rigged up a solid rest with the 280 dummied up and pointing at the corn pile. He aimed through the scope and was absolutely confident he could pull it off. I was watching the time and at 435 pm I told Aaron it was about time LOL. It was a sunny Nov afternoon and Aaron might have been dozing a little. To my great surprise, only a couple minutes later I saw a deer coming out of the brush behind the corn. it was him.

He walked straight out and turned broad side. Aaron was on him before he turned as the deer literally walked into the cross hairs. i was watching through the binos when the gun boomed and saw the impact right behind the shoulder. he wheeled and ran out of sight. I told Aaron i thought he made a good shot but we would see. While walking the 200yds, Aarons confidence went from, "I positive the crosshairs were dead center" too " I may have missed". As I walked up to the point of impact, I could see lungs blown out the exit hole. i pointed at the pink tissue and asked Aaron what it was. At first he said he didnt know and wanted to keep walking the way the deer went. I told him to stop and look again. Thats when it hit him that he had killed the deer. He literally went to his knees and said he was about to throw up. remember he missed a true giant last year and had almost convinced himself that he had missed again.

The deer jumped a creek and we had a little trouble finding him but after a couple hours, we did. He had lost a g4 but still a perfect kid deer! Congrats Aaron.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by GarGuy; 02-05-2018, 11:53 AM.

Comment

After Aaron killed his deer, his younger brother(james) told me he wanted to hunt. Now a couple years ago James had shown his first interest in hunting. He had never shot nor hunted and we spent some time practicing before letting him shoot a doe. Since then, he had shown no interest in hunting. I was surprised at him wanting to hunt again and told him if he got his lic I would take him. He informed me that his Mother had bought them the same day she bought Aarons..

I had a feeder with a pile of fat does coming to it so when regular season closed and Youth reopened, I promised to take him. It was COOOOOLLD! We got in the stand before daylight and heard the feeder spin in the dark. As it got lighter, i could see the shadows of deer moving around at the feeder. Through my binos I could make out the frame of big horns on two of them. I knew the deer and they were both shooters. Come on daylight!

Legal shooting light arrived and I had James watching them through the scope. He just wasnt sure and I told him not to shoot unless he was. Shortly after shooting light, they did just what I expected and left. I was really surprised they had hung around a feeder that late anyway.

The second the bucks were out of sight, does started piling in. I didnt count them but it was a pile of them. We watched them for about ten minutes and an old huzzy got clear of the group and broad side. I asked if he was steady on her and he nodded. I flipped the safety for him and told him to squeeze the trigger and let the shot surprise him. The gun fired almost instantly. BIG DOE DOWN! That kid was excited! That 18oz trigger on the 280 sure surprised him as the gun he shot last has about a 3lb pull!

Happy kid and hes now hooked.
        Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations to Aaron and James on putting some meat on the table!
          Good to have you back as we have been waiting for some more stories.

Comment

Congrats to all of the young hunters!!!

GarGuy, I may have to drive to East Texas and buy you some lunch, just so I can hear your stories and pick your brain.

Comment

Death Of LowBeam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2017 season started off with high expectations around my place. We had a number of bucks reach maturity that we have passed for several years. After much discussion, we picked a deer for dad to hunt and I had a couple of no brainers. Every year, I try to hunt a mature deer that will score over 150 although score means little around our house. There was this GIANT eight point on camera. 7.5 years old and well known to me. I showed him to a friend and his first words were, " Theres a buck fiddy right there for sure." Buck Fiddy became his name right then and eventually shortened to "Fiddy".

Now Fiddy consumed my thoughts. I bow hunted him every time the wind was right but just never got it done although I had some great sightings and close calls. More about Fiddy in another story at another time. On the same property, I was getting pics of several other good deer including an obviously mature buck with a split main beam. I named him LowBeam. I never thought much about him as ..well... I was consumed with Fiddy.

In Late November, Fiddy just dropped off the map. A crap load of nice deer were still coming to the hand corn pen, most of which I had already passed by Christmas. LowBeam was still coming and gathered him a large group of buddies and suddenly Fiddy was back running with them! The wind wouldnt get right as regular season ran out. I made a quick call and borrowed a traditional muzzle loader from a friend.

I didnt even check cameras until a frigid front blew through and finally conditions were right. My truck showed 7 degrees on the way there. I sneaked in with no light a full two hours before day break. With zero moon, daylight came slow to the frozen woods. As it lightened, i could make out bucks in both corn pens as well as some just milling around 40yds away. Big yellow horns! Finally its legal shooting time and i can tell one is a giant 8. It had to be Fiddy even though his tines leaned in more than I remembered on Fiddy. He started walking away... i can finally barely make out the sights.... maybe I could have killed him but I didnt risk it as he strolled out.

The good news was there were still bucks everywhere as it got lighter. Three or four had left but there were still five there including LowBeam. One by one they ambled into the thicket to bed. About ten am I sneaked out with plans to be back early for the afternoon hunt. I kept thinking about how good LowBeam looked and considered whether I had done right watching him walk away.

Around 3pm,, two does came in. They barely ate a few bites when bucks started rolling in! FatForker, Lucky, Passer, HighFive, Nineball,LowBeam, etc! Man, I knew Fiddy was coming any second; after all this was his group of buddies. I saw a high horned 8 coming. It wasnt him! It was a giant 10yr old 8 I called LongBeam and have posted on here for several years. I immediately realized he was the deer I had seen that morning instead of Fiddy. Fourteen bucks came in and argued over positions in the two corn pens. Some sparred, some hooked trees. Six of them were over 6 years old. LowBeam alternated between eating corn and thrashing trees. I considered shooting him but what if Fiddy was close? Surely he was...

Around 445, LowBeam just picked his head up and walked straight away and out of sight. I was hurt. I still had the rest of the bucks there including a 40s 8 (longBeam). I decided right then that if LowBeam came back I was shooting him. A long ten to 20 minutes later, I saw him coming back. Still no Fiddy and it was after 5pm. He walked straight in and claimed a pen at 35yrds. Boom went the smoke pole.. When the smoke cleared,, he was laying right there and the rest of the bucks didnt have a clue what happened. I sat in the stand and txt a couple of friends. Finally i got out and ran the group off to look at my deer.

He aint Fiddy but Im liking him better all the time. Im glad to have him as the camera cards showed that Fiddy was MIA again. I made the right choice.

Comment

I havent been able to log on for almost three weeks. i sent several messages to Admin and even asked other members to send messages for me but never heard what was going on. this morning, I was able to log in just fine so something got fixed I guess. ill write up a couple stories..
                Sure glad you were able to get going again Steve. Man that Aaron is yore kin!! He looks just like what I'd imagine you as a teenager to look like! Strong genes there!!

Great deer and fine looking young men. Y'all are raisin' 'em up right!

Comment

Huntin along with the kids is just as much fun as huntin along with you Garguy. Thanks for the great stories.

Comment

Welcome back and great write ups.

Comment

Thanks for the right up. Lots of good info and a good story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                        Huntin along with the kids is just as much fun as huntin along with you Garguy. Thanks for the great stories.
                        I sure enjoy taking the kids. especially when there is a mature deer for them to hunt. Even those big does get the boys excited..

Comment

Great job, kids!! Oh, I guess you helped a little too...........

Comment

Death Of LowBeam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2017 season started off with high expectations around my place. We had a number of bucks reach maturity that we have passed for several years. After much discussion, we picked a deer for dad to hunt and I had a couple of no brainers. Every year, I try to hunt a mature deer that will score over 150 although score means little around our house. There was this GIANT eight point on camera. 7.5 years old and well known to me. I showed him to a friend and his first words were, " Theres a buck fiddy right there for sure." Buck Fiddy became his name right then and eventually shortened to "Fiddy".

Now Fiddy consumed my thoughts. I bow hunted him every time the wind was right but just never got it done although I had some great sightings and close calls. More about Fiddy in another story at another time. On the same property, I was getting pics of several other good deer including an obviously mature buck with a split main beam. I named him LowBeam. I never thought much about him as ..well... I was consumed with Fiddy.

In Late November, Fiddy just dropped off the map. A crap load of nice deer were still coming to the hand corn pen, most of which I had already passed by Christmas. LowBeam was still coming and gathered him a large group of buddies and suddenly Fiddy was back running with them! The wind wouldnt get right as regular season ran out. I made a quick call and borrowed a traditional muzzle loader from a friend.

I didnt even check cameras until a frigid front blew through and finally conditions were right. My truck showed 7 degrees on the way there. I sneaked in with no light a full two hours before day break. With zero moon, daylight came slow to the frozen woods. As it lightened, i could make out bucks in both corn pens as well as some just milling around 40yds away. Big yellow horns! Finally its legal shooting time and i can tell one is a giant 8. It had to be Fiddy even though his tines leaned in more than I remembered on Fiddy. He started walking away... i can finally barely make out the sights.... maybe I could have killed him but I didnt risk it as he strolled out.

The good news was there were still bucks everywhere as it got lighter. Three or four had left but there were still five there including LowBeam. One by one they ambled into the thicket to bed. About ten am I sneaked out with plans to be back early for the afternoon hunt. I kept thinking about how good LowBeam looked and considered whether I had done right watching him walk away.

Around 3pm,, two does came in. They barely ate a few bites when bucks started rolling in! FatForker, Lucky, Passer, HighFive, Nineball,LowBeam, etc! Man, I knew Fiddy was coming any second; after all this was his group of buddies. I saw a high horned 8 coming. It wasnt him! It was a giant 10yr old 8 I called LongBeam and have posted on here for several years. I immediately realized he was the deer I had seen that morning instead of Fiddy. Fourteen bucks came in and argued over positions in the two corn pens. Some sparred, some hooked trees. Six of them were over 6 years old. LowBeam alternated between eating corn and thrashing trees. I considered shooting him but what if Fiddy was close? Surely he was...

Around 445, LowBeam just picked his head up and walked straight away and out of sight. I was hurt. I still had the rest of the bucks there including a 40s 8 (longBeam). I decided right then that if LowBeam came back I was shooting him. A long ten to 20 minutes later, I saw him coming back. Still no Fiddy and it was after 5pm. He walked straight in and claimed a pen at 35yrds. Boom went the smoke pole.. When the smoke cleared,, he was laying right there and the rest of the bucks didnt have a clue what happened. I sat in the stand and txt a couple of friends. Finally i got out and ran the group off to look at my deer.

He aint Fiddy but Im liking him better all the time. Im glad to have him as the camera cards showed that Fiddy was MIA again. I made the right choice.
                            I hope Fiddys still around for next season. You think he just moved off for a little while for whatever reason?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                              I hope Fiddys still around for next season. You think he just moved off for a little while for whatever reason?
                              I think and hope so. I dream of Fiddy.... You understand.

By the way, i just saw where you asked about Dads season. for the first time in ..i dont remember when, we didnt get it done for dad. Ill type that story up in the next few days.
                              Last edited by GarGuy; 02-05-2018, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I think and hope so. I dream of Fiddy.... You understand.

By the way, i just saw where you asked about Dads season. for the first time in ..i dont remember when, we didnt get it done for dad. Ill type that story up in the next few days.
                                I sure hate to hear that...I always enjoy seeing photos of him holding an East Texas bruiser. Looking forward to the story, nonetheless

Comment

Working...
                                X