Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow Selection Help!

Hi guys,
    I have been on this forum and followed stuff for many years but have mainly gun hunted, in which I have done for 15 years. I have now, FINALLY, broke down and decided to buy a bow. Was just wondering what brand of compound bow to get for a newbie to bow hunting like myself? Should I go out and buy the best of the best? Or find a moderately priced bow? What brand are yalls suggestions?

Everyone will say something different go shoot a few and see what you like best. I have always shot Mathews. I love my Mathews Vertix. It’s smooth and fast.

Comment

If it were me, I think I’d buy a good used bow for my first one. You can save lots of $ and get a good serviceable bow. Use it a couple years before you spend big bucks on a new setup, if you still want to bow hunt. I haven’t bought new in about four bows now.

Comment

Fred Bear has some fantastic bow setups, ready to hunt, at very affordable prices. I agree you should try before you buy, but until you figure out what your preferences are, you can get into a Bear set up and start shooting...

Comment

Go shoot several brands & models of bows. You will know when the right one is in your hands.

Comment

Keep checking the classified section here.
            If you don't want to go that direction PSE makes some great starter set ups but so do a bunch of companies
            I usually take about 4 deer and a bunch of hogs every year with my old PSE Brute Force

Comment

I got into bowhunting last year and will continue this year. I was unsuccessful last year but only went once and it was on public land. I practiced and practice with a Bear that was around $350... Ended up taking it back as I couldn't get consistency at 20 yards.

I ended up with an Obsession Bows Turmoil RZ. Now I'm consistently shooting a tight group at 50 yards and am very happy. The price was $800. I was told this is a mid-market bow. Good luck in your search.

Comment

I started bowhunting back in 2016, and found my first bow at a pawn shop for $250. I would say start out with something cheap as this will get you out shooting and will allow you to get some decent accessories (Sight, Good release, Arrow rest,Stabilizer,and new Strings). Think of it like buying a new rifle. If you spend all your budget on the rifle, you don't have much left over for ammo or optics to really enjoy it.

You can go out and buy a really expensive bow, but be aware: there's nothing worse than buyer's remorse with bows; their depreciation expense is worse than cars. Once you find our what your preferences are, and what's really important to you, you can upgrade to a better bow down the line. Total cost of my 3 compounds would be about the same as 1 flagship bow.

2011 Bass Pro Blackout 60#
                2016 Bear Escape 70#
                2018 Bear Approach 60#

Comment

Your best advice has already been stated above a few times, go shoot all of the brands you can. As stated, you will know when you get the right one in your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                    Go shoot several brands & models of bows. You will know when the right one is in your hands.
                    This 1000%! Your money so you choose, no one else can. If you do not like the way a bow feels in your hand, how it draws and how it shoots. If you do not like any of those then you may not stick with archery or bow hunting very long.

Comment

If you’re close to bowzone, I’d go there and let the guys help you/ fit you for a proper setup. IMO finding proper fitment is crucial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X