cost of building home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cost of building home

I was wondering what the difference would be in two different types of home.

First what would the difference be between a concrete foundation and a pier and beam foundation. The pier and beam is basically concrete blocks on the surface with the beams on top of them. Nothing penetrating the ground.

Also what would be the difference between brick, rock, and siding (glue/dust board) on a house.

I know they have pros and cons, I am just looking for a cost difference.

By the time you properly build a P&B structure, you've spent the same money on foundation as you would on concrete, or really close.

Comment

I don't know the price difference, but rock costs more to lay than brick or putting up siding

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
        By the time you properly build a P&B structure, you've spent the same money on foundation as you would on concrete, or really close.
        I have heard that before, but I just don't get it. The pier and beam is just some concrete blocks from Home depot with 2"x12"s on top of them, then decking.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
          I have heard that before, but I just don't get it. The pier and beam is just some concrete blocks from Home depot with 2"x12"s on top of them, then decking.
          It's also dirt work below that building the foundation. If not done properly especially in weak soil you will have settling issues. Build a solid dirt foundation and then add pier and beam as stated. If you already have a good solid area then yeah it can be cheaper.

I have built 2 homes both being Pier and Beam. I did however set both in the ground 2-3'. Materials were roughly $1/SQ FT floor space.

Comment

No it ain't.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
              I don't know the price difference, but rock costs more to lay than brick or putting up siding
              In Austin, installed chopped stone costs us no more money than brick since we use it primarily. But both cost significantly more than siding products such as Hardie.

Comment

No. While those building practices are used by some on TBH it is not the right way to build. Neither is rolling out with concrete trucks and dumping some concrete on the ground with rebar thrown in.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                  No. While those building practices are used by some on TBH it is not the right way to build. Neither is rolling out with concrete trucks and dumping some concrete on the ground with rebar thrown in.
                  I have only been under one pier and beam house and it was 12"x12"x4" bases sitting on the top of the ground with solid concrete blocks the size of cinder blocks on top.

Comment

Most pier and beam I’ve seen now have beams that go a certain distance in the ground. They are tubes that are then reinforced with rebar and concrete poured in. At work they put up a building for the guys on pier and beam. I too thought it was just a building on cinder blocks. Until I saw guys testing soil and doing test drills etc. then watched them come back and start the process.

Comment

I have only been under one pier and beam house and it was 12"x12"x4" bases sitting on the top of the ground with solid concrete blocks the size of cinder blocks on top.
                      It can be done that way but it is not the proper way to build a pier and beam house. Maybe a shed but not a house.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                        Most pier and beam I’ve seen now have beams that go a certain distance in the ground. They are tubes that are then reinforced with rebar and concrete poured in. At work they put up a building for the guys on pier and beam. I too thought it was just a building on cinder blocks. Until I saw guys testing soil and doing test drills etc. then watched them come back and start the process.
                        ^^Yep.

Comment

Because the weight of the house sits on a smaller area, the piers are usually drill down to bed rock. If you don't do that, the chance of settling is good.

My house sits on a concrete beam all the way around with 3 piers down the middle. It cost a little bit more than doing a slab.

Comment

I don't know but a guy that built some 4 plex told me the time he paid the painter for caulking and painting that the brick siding was cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                              I don't know but a guy that built some 4 plex told me the time he paid the painter for caulking and painting that the brick siding was cheaper.
                              Man, that dude needs to find a new painter/crew.

Comment

Working...
                              X