Help on black bear cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on black bear cooking

Ok guys, how safe is it to eat blackbear meat. Had a friend go on a hunt and got a bear, gave me some meat but all I see on internet is how dangerous it is to eat black bear. What do you green screen guys say. Help

God Bless
    Bish

I've always heard Trich is killed at 165. If pot roasting, you'll cook to ~200 anyways. If not, dad always cooked just beyond 165 to be on the safe side. Never had any problems.

Comment

No more dangerous than wild pig. Cook it done and you'll be fine.

Trichinosis dies at around 130 but EVERYTHING has to reach that temperature so unless you are cooking sous vide then cooking it done is the best bet.

Treat it like you would wild pork and it's good to go.

Comment

I cooked my Colorado killed BB , on the bbq pit , as it was super greasy and caught on fire when I tried to grill it, I cooked it like pork, 225-250 till it reached 165 or so
        I didn’t get any worms or sick
        Like I said bear is greasy and needs to render the fat then put some light charr on it or a smoke crust
        I used my favorite pork rub for seasoning
        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-23-2019, 03:19 PM.

Comment

It is dangerous....because it tastes so **** bad that you'll consider gargling with gasoline to get the taste out of your mouth.

Comment

The worse tasting meat I have ever ate...I'd rather eat a raccoon

Comment

I ate it chicken fried about 8 hours after it was killed. It would keep you from starving to death, but I’d never order it from a menu.

Comment

This is gonna be a funny thread.Y'all just guaranteed this mofo ain't ever eating a black bear![emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

There is way too much road kill to be had to even consider eating bear, actually I had a buddy who made some and he told me it was really good, I think he had it on kabobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hart8 View Post
                    This is gonna be a funny thread.Y'all just guaranteed this mofo ain't ever eating a black bear![emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
                    That's the least I could do. May have saved his life. When I tried it, my tongue tasted like a billy goat's *** hole for about two days.

Comment

I don’t completely agree with most of the above posts but will say spring black bear can be pretty rough greasy and not a great flavor. Fall black bear living in agricultural areas or feeding on lots of berries are usually pretty good. The other problem is unfortunately most bears aren’t well cared for in the field most Canadian black bears are shot in the evening and not skinned and cooled off till the next day after pictures.

Comment

I heard it was really good on a cedar shingle.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

The thought of eating an oversized tail-less trash can coon just does not sound appetizing. Everybody I have talked too or read about said it was greasy and gamey. Had a a lease member bring some sausage to camp. It was really dark. It sat in the freezer for three years before I finally chunked it. Said lease member never brought any to camp for himself to eat so I figured I wasn't going to eat it either..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            The thought of eating an oversized tail-less trash can coon just does not sound appetizing. Everybody I have talked too or read about said it was greasy and gamey. Had a a lease member bring some sausage to camp. It was really dark. It sat in the freezer for three years before I finally chunked it. Said lease member never brought any to camp for himself to eat so I figured I wasn't going to eat it either..
                            Very......wait for it........SMART.

Comment

I kilt one in the fall and it was heavy with fat. Smelled like 4 kinds of hell when I tried to cook it. I gave the rest to some folks down the road, they wont even look me in the face now.

Comment

Working...
                              X