Traditional/recurve help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional/recurve help

Been thinking and wanting to get into the traditional game for a very long time. I do not know ANYTHING about it. Looking for help o n where to start and what’s good to start with, anyone have an extra recurve or long bow laying around they might wanna let go of??? Or can point me int he right direction? Thanks in advance

I’m still a newby and I went with Samick sage 62 long 45 lbs to start and love it. It’s a take down so u can change the limbs to different draw weights and lengths to find your perfect fit before u spend a lot on a one stick bow. I don’t know the terminology sorry still learning but instinctive shooting is so much more fun this way.

Comment

I can help you out. I have two Ben Pearson recurves for sale. One is 30# and the other is 35#. They’re not expensive, and well built.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
        I can help you out. I have two Ben Pearson recurves for sale. One is 30# and the other is 35#. They’re not expensive, and well built.
        These would be good to start with and get good form before you increase weight if you choose too. Here in Indiana the 35 pounder would be legal but I am not sure what the minimum draw weight is in Texas for deer. If it’s legal it will most definitely kill deer if you know you limits and shoot it accurately.

Comment

Looking to try my hand at traditional as well. Going the Samick Sage route, since I don't want to spend much on something I'm not even sure I'll be good at

Comment

Originally posted by chrisk View Post
            These would be good to start with and get good form before you increase weight if you choose too. Here in Indiana the 35 pounder would be legal but I am not sure what the minimum draw weight is in Texas for deer. If it’s legal it will most definitely kill deer if you know you limits and shoot it accurately.
            Texas has no minimum draw weight for hunting, but a recommended draw weight should be around 30 lbs for bowhunting game animals.

I found this on a google search

Comment

Best advice I can give you is go buy the book Instinctive Archery Insights by Jay Kidwell. He does the best job of putting onto paper how to shoot a bow instinctively that I've ever seen. IMHO I'd try to learn to shoot instinctively and not gap shooting, or become the arrow type shooting... or even olympic style, also a form of gap shooting... All are valid techniques, but to shoot instinctive is like throwing a baseball... it just happens and Jay does a fine job of guiding a brand new archer through the process. You have an advantage (I am assuming from your post) that you have not done this before. Therefore you won't have to unlearn bad habits... Here's a link to the latest edition of this book.

Also, that 35# bow above would be ideal for you to learn to shoot with. You don't need to spend a bunch of money to learn to shoot effectively and accurately. Start with a target bow so you can learn good form.

I warn you, though it is very addictive!! The secret to being a good instinctive archer is Practice, Practice, Practice!!

Comment

PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go over to the traditional forum and post. Lots of good trad archers there and some of them don't normally check out the Around the Campfire forum and may not see your post.

Comment

Yeah, hop over to the trad subforum. There are a bunch of stickied threads at the top to get you started!

Comment

Have a Samick in classified, 45 lb.
                      Last edited by White Falcon; 07-20-2019, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Samick Sage in the 30-35lb range (I'm not kidding, start LIGHT on trad or you'll teach yourself all sorts of ganked up stuff, ask me how I know this)

Tom Clum's "Solid Archery Mechanics" online course, or better yet an in person clinic.

Go slow, do things right, enjoy the suck and have fun!

Comment

Working...
                        X