Youth Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth Rifle

My 11 year old grandson has finally decided he wants to learn to shoot. What .22 would you recommend starting him out on?

A little bolt action 22 hornet isn’t a bad way to go for a centerfire.

The old 10/22 or marlin version are solid rimfire options. If you’re into AR style rifles the smith and Wesson AR22 is awesome and runs about 400$.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Daisy Red Rider BB gun to start, its a good training rifle.

Comment

CZ Scout

Comment

Look at CZ's quality line of .22 rimfires. As mentioned the Scout is an excellent starter due to it's size though they make many models.

Comment

Savage 17 is also a good choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I got a wood stock Ruger 10/22 and used a jug saw to cut the stock down to the right size. When he grows I can get another one for cheap to replace it.

Comment

Some things to consider for me would be, what type of action do I want him to have... bolt, semi-auto, pump, break-over single shot, etc.
                All have pluses and minuses... For long term use as he grows up, a S&W AR15-22 is hard to beat. It is dependable, has an adjustable stock and not a gun you'd have to worry about him scratching up.

for safety purposes if he doesn't know about guns yet, either a break over single shot or a single shot bolt gun would probably be more appropriate. Lots of good choices out there.

Good on you Grand pa for wanting to get him into the shooting/hunting sports!! Good luck. Stay safe.

Comment

I cut down a scoped .22 marlin semi auton
                  But I only loaded three at a time.
                  Unlike most, my kids learned to shoot a scope first so they would be comfortable with their scope rifles later.
                  We graduated to .22 mag later, scoped, and then to .222 next.

BP

Comment

Another vote for CZ Scout

Comment

At 11 he'll be fine with a full-size rifle. Just depends on what platform you want him to learn on. I'd personally get him something he'll have, use, and cherish for his life time. Hard to beat 10/22's(take down) or maybe even a nice bolt gun. Henry's also make some fine levers that would fit the bill.

Comment

Started mine on a single shot Marlin at five.

Comment

Went with a CZ Scout. It fits him perfectly.

Comment

Great choice

Click image for larger version

Name:	F39D9CDE-AC56-4ACC-BDAF-BF640B519128.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	24584561

Comment

At 11 I wouldn’t get a smaller rifle. Most 22’s are on the small side anyway. I also am not a fan of semi autos for beginners. I like for them to have to be slow and methodical and not be able to just “fire away” (just my personal preference)

I have a Savage 22 bolt action that is a medium size and is very accurate. I can shoot it well and so can my 14 and 11 year old boys...in fact they have been shooting it for a couple of years.

Comment

Working...
                              X