• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake avoidance

Anyone know if a snake avoidance class for my dog
    Just got bit by a poisonous snake of some kind
    Need to teacher her better before she gets his by a rattler

Tagged. Got new puppy that is extremely curious about everything outdoors.

Comment

My pup has been through snake avoidance twice with snake breaker. First year was tough for her cuz she was curious. The second yr she was shivering and could not get away soon enough. There is also a rattle snake vaccination you can get that is supposed to buy you more time to get to a vet.
      I do believe that the guys at snake breaker said if your dog were to get bit by a poisonous snake a rattle snake would be the best one as your dog has the best chance to survive compared to a moccasin. Something about the venom of a moccasin and it doing much more damage than the rattle snakes.

Comment

I've taken two dogs. One, she gets down wind of a rattler and freaks out. The other one will still run up on one and sniff it.
        It's not rocket science what they do. Snakes, a check cord and a shock collar. But I guess the education was worth $150. I've done my own refresher training since.

Gary

Comment

Think ours was but by a moccasin. Killed one three weeks ago in the back yard

Comment

Attend this snake avoidance class last year, also have a vet on site giving vaccines. I recommend it.

Comment

Uncanny timing...

Wow! I had a friend lose a dog to rattlesnake bite just today. That dog went through snake avoidance and had even demonstrated obvious fear of rattlesnakes later. Maybe a no-rattle, passing bite? Haven't heard yet. It was a Jack Russell. Small dogs are much more vulnerable.

Comment

Actually heard today a lot of bird hunters will get a snake and put it in a deep freeze and then get it out when it’s motionless and staple it’s mouth shut. And have a shock collar turned all the way up and when the snake comes to and starts striking at the dog light it’s butt up with the collar. Now of course getting a rattlesnake and then putting it in a deep freeze sounds a little hazardous. I’d prolly just kill one and lay it out in the yard and everytime it went to it shock the fire out of him. Then cut the rattle off and make someone rattle it to get them curious and if they pay any mind to it light em up.

Comment

Wayne does a good job and he is a regular TBH'r (Wal1809)

Comment

Give WAL1809 a shout!
                    Wayne has been doing snake avoidance for years

Comment

My boss took both his dogs to snake avoidance and the weekend after they finished the class one walked right up to a snake and got bit and the other one ran over and smelled it then walked away. I thinks it’s sort of a waste. If your dog isn’t able to decide if it should go right up and kill it or just leave it alone it is a bit wasteful if your dog doesn’t already have a foundation to train off of. We have a pack of jack russels on the ranch I work for now and they kill snakes like crazy with the exception of a couple but they don’t get close to them

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        http://www.snakebreaker.com/

Wayne does a good job and he is a regular TBH'r (Wal1809)

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
                          My boss took both his dogs to snake avoidance and the weekend after they finished the class one walked right up to a snake and got bit and the other one ran over and smelled it then walked away. I thinks it’s sort of a waste. If your dog isn’t able to decide if it should go right up and kill it or just leave it alone it is a bit wasteful if your dog doesn’t already have a foundation to train off of. We have a pack of jack russels on the ranch I work for now and they kill snakes like crazy with the exception of a couple but they don’t get close to them

It takes on some dogs better than others but it saves enough of them that it is far from a waste

Comment

Working...
                          X