No announcement yet.

Mid sized "off-road" trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve owned nice Toyota trucks since I was 17, starting with a 1979 Toy pickup.

My daily driver is a 2012 Taco. I wish it was a little bigger and had a little more power.

I really miss the T-100. That was a great size truck. I had a 1995 T-100 that I totaled out chasing elk in the Gila back in ‘01. Boy do I miss that truck.

Comment

Might as well wait for the new Jeep Truck coming out.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
        I have a 2017 Tacoma pro
        the 14 MPG is the only thing I dislike about the truck.
        I use to hunt out of and it will go pretty much any where a Polaris ranger will.
        My place is a muddy mess and I have not stuck it yet
        14mpg Really? Dang I was hoping they would at least get 17-18mpg highway. That's worse than I thought.

Comment

It's personal preference, you will not save $$.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
            14mpg Really? Dang I was hoping they would at least get 17-18mpg highway. That's worse than I thought.

Mine is lifted with over size tires and carrying a 12,000 pound winch.
            I sure that is costing me some MPG

Comment

If by chance your wifes care is paid off, why not just keep it for your commute to work and buy something used for your weekend run around stuff? I haven't yet bought my weekend run around vehicle, but this is what we did. Just when I need to haul something we swap vehicles for the day. I too drive about 30k miles per year and I couldn't imagine doing that in a truck.

Comment

Considering how they're just about the same price as a full size and almost same gas mileage, I wouldn't do it. Plus have you sat in one yet? My dad has a 17 TRD Taco and I feel confined in it.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
                  Considering how they're just about the same price as a full size and almost same gas mileage, I wouldn't do it. Plus have you sat in one yet? My dad has a 17 TRD Taco and I feel confined in it.
                  x2. My buddy just got one and we took it to the lease. The seat space is small and not comfortable. Your a** will hurt before you finish the trip. Fuel mileage is an issue as listed.

Dang thing will crawl a telephone pole if you want it to. And the rock crawl mode is bad***!

Comment

Another vote for the 4runner if you already have a truck. The 4runner Pro is nice but hard to negotiate the prices on those. The Off Road model works just as well and more negotiable.
                    Last edited by altez; 11-30-2018, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
                      A few years ago I was thinking the same way you do so I traded my full sized Chevy for a T-100 4wd (Toyota). Big mistake. Whimpest vehicle I’ve ever had. It actually got worse gas mileage than the Chevy. That kinda soured me on Toyota. However I hear the newer full sized Toyota’s are okay. Last time I checked the medium sized ones cost as much as a full sized Chevy or Ford. Why penalize yourself like that? I will never buy a medium sized truck again. But everyone to their own likes.

The size is not a penalty. If you like to off road then it is perfect. Light and agile. Fly over the top of the sand at the beach, mud, and handles the turns on the rock roads in the desert. Try turning a full size truck around on a small fire road in national forest when you come to a fallen tree or rocks. You will be happy to have the smaller size and tighter turning.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                        If by chance your wifes care is paid off, why not just keep it for your commute to work and buy something used for your weekend run around stuff? I haven't yet bought my weekend run around vehicle, but this is what we did. Just when I need to haul something we swap vehicles for the day. I too drive about 30k miles per year and I couldn't imagine doing that in a truck.
                        My F150 is paid off already but her car isn't. I might take her car to trade on a mid sized truck and give her my truck which she would love. My truck only has 45k on it right now so it should have a lot of life left. She only drives 1/3 of the miles per year that I do. We can't share a vehicle because I'm ocd about keeping my interior clean and clutter free...let's just say she isn't. I have had a mid sized truck before (Nissan Friontier) and I was fine with it but I don't even like riding in cars. I feels way too confined and close to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                          The size is not a penalty. If you like to off road then it is perfect. Light and agile. Fly over the top of the sand at the beach, mud, and handles the turns on the rock roads in the desert. Try turning a full size truck around on a small fire road in national forest when you come to a fallen tree or rocks. You will be happy to have the smaller size and tighter turning.
                          You get it! I take my Tacoma on the Jeep trails in Silverton/Ouray every summer and a full size would not be fun at all. I also like camping off the beaten path, and doing trails. None of which I coulld do in a full size truck without tearing the crap out of it. My truck is made for what I use it for. Now if I was cruising around town and going to mall only, I would go full size. Mine is lifted with 33 inch tires, and I get around 16 on the highway, but like they always say, dont't buy a truck for fuel economy. I did have an f150 with the 5.0 that got 20 on the highway.

Comment

I have a 2019 4Runner and love it. I get between 16-19 on the highway

Comment

The last time I checked my 06 Tacoma got 17 in town and 20 on the highway. this is higher end of average

Comment

I have a 16 Tacoma as my run around truck. Mine is a dbl cab long bed TRD Offroad 4x4. The 16's and newer have a different motor than the 15's and older, and will get better mpg's than the old.
                                I have a 2.5" Icon lift and run 265/75/16 tires (A little bigger than stock).

The tires you run will make a huge difference on mpg's. I ran Toyo's for my first set. They were light at 40 lbs. I would get 22-23 hwy and up to 26, 20-21 in town. Now I have tires that weigh 45 lbs and now I get 20- 21 mpg's. 19 in town.
                                The resale is unbeatable, Love the truck, off road it is incredible. The Offroad and the Pro have Crawl mode, pretty hard to stick one.
                                For me, I could never buy the Chevy. Reliability and resale are too important to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X