Drilling a hole in rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilling a hole in rock

I've got to dig or drill a hole 12 inches in diameter and 5 foot deep to set a temporary light pole. The trouble is 6 inches below top soil is hard limestone. Any recommendations? I looked into a jack hammer but the rental place doesn't have a rock bit longer than 2 feet. I'm dreading using a rock bar! I've looking to rig an old 4 inch oil field drill bit to a piece of drill stem and putting on to my auger. I figured if I drill three holes I can break the walls to get me close.

Sorry, but I am no help, I'm digging 7 post holes and the top 5"s is dirt and the other 19"s was solid rock on this first hole. My poor ole rock bar is no longer straight. Good luck with your project.

Comment

Put in ear plugs. Drill or jackhammer (bosch brute) a hole 1 foot deep, then blast with tnt. If you need a wider hole, use more tnt. 5 foot down is pretty deep, so make the hole wide enough so you fit the jackhammer down there to make the next tnt stuff hole. Repeat until you are 5 foot down, then plant your pole, tie and stake the pole plumb, and then back fill it with quick-crete mixed in a wheel barrow. Have a few beers. Done.

Comment

Just dont. Save yourself the headache and just set the pole in a concrete base on top of the limestone with a few 1 inch holes to tie it together with rebar.

Comment

Pier driller. Might oat you a little. Better than killing yourself.

Comment

When electric coop went out to set their poles, they used their drill to set in 5 light poles to get power to my place. I waved a Benjamin to get them to drill just one more hole for me and they wouldn't.

Comment

Many years ago I had a friend in the same situation, worked ourselves to death just to ge 18" deep. Cut pole off and set in sacrete. Pole is still there and hasn't moved an inch

Good luck

Comment

Maybe some of these guys in the oil drilling biz has an old rock bit at the rig you can talk them out of. Weld that dude on an auger and go to town.

Comment

Guess I should have read you whole post. You already had that idea.

Comment

If you have any oilfield around your area you may look at a digger truck I use to be able to dig that deep thru rock in a couple of hours

Comment

Why do you have to go 5 feet for a temp t pole?

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                        Why do you have to go 5 feet for a temp t pole?
                        I was wondering the samething.

Comment

You need a belltech auger. Where are you located?

Comment

Plenty of people out there to do this, just need an auger with a rock bit. I've seen people advertise this service on craigslist.....

Comment

If it's temperoray why not just make a base for it and not sink it in the ground. If it holds a lot of weight then you could us some metal plate or I beams, just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X