TPWD Drops Granger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPWD Drops Granger

Rumor on the street is that TPWD is pulling out of Granger and turning it back over to the core. Do not know if there will be any hunting once this takes place.

i would not be surprised with the budget cuts.

I am curious and anxious to see what the new draw catalog has in it... or is NOT in it.

Comment

What makes them think the Corp can afford it any more than the state? They're both broke

Comment

the TP&W gives back the operations of it for hunting. Cutting back on personnel.

they give it back to the corp. The Corp. doesn't open it up for hunting... no extra resources.

Comment

So no more hog hunting year round, or just no more drawn deer hunts?

Comment

The Corp has hunts on Georgetown Lake although it's set up kind of funky. I would think they would model it after Gtown lake.

Comment

if they do, guess it will save me $50 a year for the public lands permit...

but fishing wouldn't be affected right?
              Last edited by blacksunshine; 06-23-2011, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I heard the hunting program on Georgetown may have some changes and cutbacks. I may go up to the office this week and see. I got off my lease and it would be easy to just walk out the back door

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                  I heard the hunting program on Georgetown may have some changes and cutbacks. I may go up to the office this week and see. I got off my lease and it would be easy to just walk out the back door
                  Last page or so of this thread:

Summary of the changes: More room, less hunters, costs a little more, slightly harder to check in deer after you kill one.

Comment

I talked to Johnny Cathy about this today and he states "he's heard nothing about it. He's still mowing getting ready for dove season and the draw hunts".

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bubba's bulletman View Post
                      I talked to Johnny Cathy about this today and he states "he's heard nothing about it. He's still mowing getting ready for dove season and the draw hunts".
                      I talked to a game warden today at Double G and he told me the state was dropping Granger because it was costing them money and they weren't getting anything back in return. He wasn't sure if it was going to be this year starting Sept. 1 or later but he did say it was happening regardless. He had no idea how hunting access or lack thereof would be handled by the corp moving forward. He didn't go into a whole lot of detail but I got the idea it was a power struggle of sorts between the state funded TPWD and the federally funded COE. With the loss of state run hunting means the lake will no longer be a WMA so you won't be able to fish from the shorelines without a fishing license. That being said, their revenue from writing tickets is sure to increase in the area. Conversely, I guess that means you will no longer need an APH to duck hunt the lake and probably won't need one to hunt the surrounding corp propery either, assuming they don't do away with the hog and deer hunts all together. Sure am interested to see how this turns out. Especially since Granger is one of the top draw hunts applied for in the state, I think #2 or #3 right behind the Chap.

Comment

Originally posted by jared_bays View Post
                        I talked to a game warden today at Double G and he told me the state was dropping Granger because it was costing them money and they weren't getting anything back in return. He wasn't sure if it was going to be this year starting Sept. 1 or later but he did say it was happening regardless. He had no idea how hunting access or lack thereof would be handled by the corp moving forward. He didn't go into a whole lot of detail but I got the idea it was a power struggle of sorts between the state funded TPWD and the federally funded COE. With the loss of state run hunting means the lake will no longer be a WMA so you won't be able to fish from the shorelines without a fishing license. That being said, their revenue from writing tickets is sure to increase in the area. Conversely, I guess that means you will no longer need an APH to duck hunt the lake and probably won't need one to hunt the surrounding corp propery either, assuming they don't do away with the hog and deer hunts all together. Sure am interested to see how this turns out. Especially since Granger is one of the top draw hunts applied for in the state, I think #2 or #3 right behind the Chap.
                        I hear that the hog hunting will still be year round, but that there will be a special Granger permit to purchase with the COE. This permit allows you to chase pigs and pigs only.

Comment

I've been told big budget cuts this year for TPWD, employees already getting pink slips out East. They are not sure how many properties they will lose or have to give back to core or the state.

Comment

Sad sad day for the hunting and wildlife around there.

Comment

It would be nice to know before buying my Public land Permit, only use it at Granger.

Comment

Working...
                              X