Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
    Looks good brother!

Got a dozen Freedom brand Dp's to try out, they came in today and they got cleaned, 6 of them are already out working.

Also tweeked my raccoon bait recipe a bit, we shall see what the results are in the morning, lol
    Good luck... Let me know how you like those traps and I the bait work send me the recipe...lol

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
      Good luck... Let me know how you like those traps and I the bait work send me the recipe...lol
      IT is cheap and easy...

Bought a half gallon of fish oil..(8.00)

Then the cheapest bag of cat food I could find (2.99) for a 3 lb bag

Big bowl, add cat food, then pour a small amount of fish oil in and mix(couple oz's). Only need enough oil to lightly coat the cat food...

Half gallon of fish oil will go a LONG ways...trying it in dirt holes and DP's..

Sad thing is all the traps are in areas that I have already hit hard and I'm almost finished with the property and fixing to move to the next property, so hope it pulls the last problem coons out of the woodwork!!
      Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 02-05-2014, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Those traps look nice and dark, I can see the difference.

I have heard that recipe in another video. I am going to give it a try

Thanks again for all this info on this thread and others.

Comment

Sad thing is all the traps are in areas that I have already hit hard and I'm almost finished with the property and fixing to move to the next property, so hope it pulls the last problem coons out of the woodwork!!
          I coat cat food with a cheap jar of strawberry jelly but the fish oil is a good idea.
          Yeah I'm about done here on my one place and hope to start a new ranch next week. So might not get any of these traps out until then.

Comment

Looks good brother!

Got a dozen Freedom brand Dp's to try out, they came in today and they got cleaned, 6 of them are already out working.

Also tweeked my raccoon bait recipe a bit, we shall see what the results are in the morning, lol

How do they look at first glance?

Comment

I want to trap coyotes and coons but afraid I might accidentally catch a neighbors pet

Comment

Originally posted by MicahM View Post
                I want to trap coyotes and coons but afraid I might accidentally catch a neighbors pet
                i use the dog proof traps and they are made so that cats and dogs don't get caught. Here is a tip as well, after you bait the trap put a soup can over it. A coon can lift the can off but a dog or cat will have a hard time trying. Not sure how that works in the wild, but city coons don't shy away from the soup cans.

Comment

First look at the Freedom Brand Dog proofs..

Welded S links, multiple swivel points, two way trigger, the flat plate and trigger seem to work great for the kids setting them, they just simply step on them.

I have Duke Dp's and Z-traps and I believe that because of options alone and ease of setting for the kids these will be my go-to trap for coons from now on..

We put 6 out last night, but very little animal sign and with a new bait mixed was hoping to pull a few more coons from the area..

Checking traps in the snow this morning

Comment

Originally posted by MicahM View Post
                    Most of the time if you catch a dog it will only have a sore foot for a day.....unless they're really small dogs. I would use a offset jaw trap for coyotes and dog proof for coons.

Comment

First look at the Freedom Brand Dog proofs..
                      The only thing that I don't like about them in the U- shape bar stake. I can barely get a duke dp to stick in the ground and it has a chisel point

Comment

Don't forget if you trapping you will always catch a few of these

Duke DP trap

Comment

So what wax do you need to buy? I understand the process now but just not sure what to buy.

It seems the bark and leaves acts as your dye, is that correct?

IT is cheap and easy...

Bought a half gallon of fish oil..(8.00)

Then the cheapest bag of cat food I could find (2.99) for a 3 lb bag

Big bowl, add cat food, then pour a small amount of fish oil in and mix(couple oz's). Only need enough oil to lightly coat the cat food...

I think this is a dynamite combination!!!! That slight fish oil is enough for them to smell it and come running. Can you buy this in stores in person anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                            The only thing that I don't like about them in the U- shape bar stake. I can barely get a duke dp to stick in the ground and it has a chisel point

The freedoms don't have the U shape. They are a long wedge with a long hole cut out so the chain can slide up and down

Comment

Originally posted by hrdwrkncwby76 View Post
                              The freedoms don't have the U shape. They are a long wedge with a long hole cut out so the chain can slide up and down
                              oh I seen now...I had them mixed up with the Sterling Grizz traps..

Comment

Originally posted by giterrell View Post
                                So what wax do you need to buy? I understand the process now but just not sure what to buy.

It seems the bark and leaves acts as your dye, is that correct?

I think this is a dynamite combination!!!! That slight fish oil is enough for them to smell it and come running. Can you buy this in stores in person anywhere?
                                I bought scent free trappers wax a few years back from F&T. Not sure if you can find odorless wax anywhere local... Yes I use the oak leaves and bar as my dye.

Comment

Working...
                                X