Shooting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting problem

I have had this crazy problem with shooting completly different spot with a bow that is zeroed in by my Dad. He shoots a Z7 and I grabbed it to shoot knowing that his zero is a foot higher and to the left I believe. So, I have come to a conclusion. My dad was a boxer and also is a south paw. But, when he shoots a rifle or a bow he uses his right hand. I told him to point his thumb at a door knob and close left eye and see if it moves off the door. It did, so I told him he needs a lefty bow. So he does it again and closes his right eye this time and it moves also. We cant figure this out? He can shoot good. His form is pretty good, just not consistent (lack of practice) so I cant see why his shot is so far off then mine. My next store neighbor can grab my bow and shoot right where I am aiming. Does anyone have a solution. If not he is sighted in. I just dont feel like it is normal.

Do you both have the same peep height and do you anchor the same spot?

Comment

my buddies and i are the same way.. everyone is different. if we decide to shoot each others bows, we do it from 8-10 yrds, no further.

Comment

that is what they call "co-dominance". He can shoot with either bow. Another thing you can try is have him form a small triangle with his fore fingers and thumb, hold it out at arms' length and you stand about 10 feet beyond. You look through his triangle and see which eye you can see. That will be the dominant eye. If you see the space between his eyes, he is truly co-dominant.

He will need a blinder or he will need to close the non shooting eye. I do not recommend closing either eye because of the loss of depth preception. The blinder can hang from a cap or if he wears glasses, he can put some clear tape on the outside of the glasses so his non shooting eye won't take control.

Oh yeah - use a large peep. The smaller the peep, the more the tendancy to use the non shooting eye.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleGArchery View Post
          Do you both have the same peep height and do you anchor the same spot?
          Same peep heighth, yes. Same anchor- No. If this is common for others to see, then I feel better. I have not seen it that far off with anyone else. I really was confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
            that is what they call "co-dominance". He can shoot with either bow. Another thing you can try is have him form a small triangle with his fore fingers and thumb, hold it out at arms' length and you stand about 10 feet beyond. You look through his triangle and see which eye you can see. That will be the dominant eye. If you see the space between his eyes, he is truly co-dominant.

He will need a blinder or he will need to close the non shooting eye. I do not recommend closing either eye because of the loss of depth preception. The blinder can hang from a cap or if he wears glasses, he can put some clear tape on the outside of the glasses so his non shooting eye won't take control.

Oh yeah - use a large peep. The smaller the peep, the more the tendancy to use the non shooting eye.
            Thanks, I will talk with him later and have him try it out. The blinder aint gonna fly with him. but I will have him try closing his left eye right before he starts his shot.

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
              my buddies and i are the same way.. everyone is different. if we decide to shoot each others bows, we do it from 8-10 yrds, no further.
              Are you guys more than a foot difference???

Comment

Like stated, probably peep height.

Comment

i've never shot or had someone shot my bow that didn't get a different poi from the set up.

close . . . . but never personally was able to pick up a bow and put it in the x using their set up.

Comment

Working...
                  X