Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 volt versus 12 volt on gam cams which is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 volt versus 12 volt on gam cams which is better?

Can someone please tell me which is better for gamcams,,,,,,,, 6 or 12 volts. I have 4 6volts cams and haven't had any problems, however I've notice that is seems a lot more cams run on 12 volts, or it seems this way.

What are the advantages and disadvantages between the two? Just wondering as I might be changing cams in the future and if there is some sort of advantage I might switch to a 12 volt. Any thoughts???

6v bushnell trophy cam. Add a solar panel, box, and an external battery and forget about it.

Comment

I haven't seen any 12 volt cameras but I'm sure there are some. Most of the cameras that use 8 AA batteries are 6 volt not 12 volt. In my opinion it doesn't matter if they are 12 volt or 6 volt.

Comment

In theory the 12v are supposed to have better battery life.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter004 View Post
          In theory the 12v are supposed to have better battery life.
          Thanks Bowhunter,,, this is what I was wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
            I haven't seen any 12 volt cameras but I'm sure there are some. Most of the cameras that use 8 AA batteries are 6 volt not 12 volt. In my opinion it doesn't matter if they are 12 volt or 6 volt.
            Stealthcam and Moultrie are both 12v....

Bushnell trophy cam BLOWS THEM OUT OF THE WATER IN BATTERY LIFE.
            Attached Files

Comment

DIY Thread: http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co....php?p=5246520

Comment

12v will have a better battery life.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                  Stealthcam and Moultrie are both 12v....

Bushnell trophy cam BLOWS THEM OUT OF THE WATER IN BATTERY LIFE.
                  I don't know about Stealthcam but Moultrie are not 12 volt.

By the way, just because a camera runs on 12 volt doesn't mean it will have longer battery life and the Bushnell trophy cam is 6 volts.

Comment

I don't know about Stealthcam but Moultrie are not 12 volt.

By the way, just because a camera runs on 12 volt doesn't mean it will have longer battery life and the Bushnell trophy cam is 6 volts.
                    Moultrie's power panel for their cams is a 12volt.. So Im pretty sure they are (at least the few i have are maybe the newer ones aren't) ... Link:http://www.moultriefeeders.com/produ...spx?id=mfh-cpp

I do agree that 6v vs 12v has nothing to do with battery life.

Battery life will be determined by your cam and how much battery it uses.
                    Last edited by Coach W; 08-11-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                      Moultrie's power panel for their cams is a 12volt.. So Im pretty sure they are (at least the few i have are maybe the newer ones aren't) ... Link:http://www.moultriefeeders.com/produ...spx?id=mfh-cpp

I do agree that 6v vs 12v has nothing to do with battery life.

Battery life will be determined by your cam and how much battery it uses.
                      It is true that their power panel is 12v but it gets converted to the necessary volts in the camera. Most of moultrie's old cameras are 6 and 9 volt and the new ones with 8 aa's are 6 volt. Moultrie now makes a 6 volt panel. For example, all the I-40's and I-60's are 9 volts using 6 D batteries. 1 D battery = 1.5 volts X 6 = 9 volts. While you might think that 8 AA batteries would = 12 volts they are not used that way, they are use in two sets of 4 so you have 6 volts instead of 12 volts, This doubles your amps not volts.

If you take 2 AA batteries and we will assume that each battery is 1.5 volts at 2amps and you hook the - of one battery to the + of the other, you now have 3 volts at around 2amps and this is called running the batteries in a series. If you hook the + to the + and the - to the - you now have 1.5 volts at 4amps and this is called running the batteries in parallel. Most cameras that I've seen that use 8 AA batteries run each set of 4 AA in a series and then run the two sets of 4 in parallel so you get a total of 6 volts at 4amps. If all 8 AA are run in a series you would get 12 volts at 2amps.

Now the real question, how many people did I just confuse.

Comment

I'm hanging in there, but is there an advantage to one over the other. Or is it just personal preference?

I have several 6 volt cams (all primos 35s and 64s), and each has an external power supply (sealed 6 volt battery) and solar panel attached. I haven't had any problems with them, but if I do change them out in the future it would be good to know if there is a distinct advantage or not. Maybe the battery life, assuming you don't use a solar cell? But with a solar cell on a 6 volt, it shouldn't matter. You thoughts?

Comment

It's all personal preference but since you already have some external 6 volt batteries, I would just stay with 6 volt camera's. There is no advantage I can think of having a 12v camera over a 6v. I will say this though, when it comes time for me to start buying more camera's I'm going to go with ones that send pics to my phone.

Comment

It is true that their power panel is 12v but it gets converted to the necessary volts in the camera. Most of moultrie's old cameras are 6 and 9 volt and the new ones with 8 aa's are 6 volt. Moultrie now makes a 6 volt panel. For example, all the I-40's and I-60's are 9 volts using 6 D batteries. 1 D battery = 1.5 volts X 6 = 9 volts. While you might think that 8 AA batteries would = 12 volts they are not used that way, they are use in two sets of 4 so you have 6 volts instead of 12 volts, This doubles your amps not volts.

If you take 2 AA batteries and we will assume that each battery is 1.5 volts at 2amps and you hook the - of one battery to the + of the other, you now have 3 volts at around 2amps and this is called running the batteries in a series. If you hook the + to the + and the - to the - you now have 1.5 volts at 4amps and this is called running the batteries in parallel. Most cameras that I've seen that use 8 AA batteries run each set of 4 AA in a series and then run the two sets of 4 in parallel so you get a total of 6 volts at 4amps. If all 8 AA are run in a series you would get 12 volts at 2amps.

Now the real question, how many people did I just confuse.
                            I have 2 of the old I 40s and they run off of 12v external power and with a solar panel they will outlast the camera.

Comment

Working...
                            X