A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BillyloMexico View Post
    His deer with big frames always surprise me too. That's why I said 15 inch G2s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the body size that makes it hard to compare scores to TX and MX deer. These mature bucks are 260-300 pounds. Mr. Baker, if I may, I submit a gross 163, 8pt, 290# central Louisiana buck for reference. Yours is in velvet, but frame still looks bigger.

Mr Sid

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Sid View Post
      It's the body size that makes it hard to compare scores to TX and MX deer. These mature bucks are 260-300 pounds. Mr. Baker, if I may, I submit a gross 163, 8pt, 290# central Louisiana buck for reference. Yours is in velvet, but frame still looks bigger.

Mr Sid
      Swamp Donkey!

Comment

Just checking in. Cut my food plots last week getting ready for the fall plant.

Comment

hey rusty, How much water did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            hey rusty, How much water did you get?
            We were lucky. A bit over 6" from the storm itself. Plus another 3" the week before. Inconvenient yes, but not a tragedy as many suffered. Set us back a couple weeks prepping our plots but should be plenty soil moisture. Benefit of no till.

What about your neighborhood?

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
              We were lucky. A bit over 6" from the storm itself. Plus another 3" the week before. Inconvenient yes, but not a tragedy as many suffered. Set us back a couple weeks prepping our plots but should be plenty soil moisture. Benefit of no till.

What about your neighborhood?
              12-15 inches scattered over 10 days. Dont have my chicken litter out yet. still too wet. Ii will be a little late on my plots but dang my deer exploded this year. we passed a bunch of no brainer 5 an 6 year olds last year just because i wanted to see them this year. they exceeded expectation.. i also have three 9-10 year olds that have their first set of eye poppers this year.

that crap keeps happening to me every time i have them figured out.

Comment

Rusty, Why do you use Elbon Rye instead of Oats? I have about 24 acres of food plots. Six different areas on my 300 acres. I am about 40 miles N. of Monroe but in Miss. We are putting lime out today. Any suggestions are really appreciated.

Comment

I plant both elbon rye and wheat. In the plots i double crop with soybeans , peas etc. I plant the rye both for the tremendous growth thus thatch thus organic matter as well as the soil benefits the roots offer. Rye also has a mild allopathic [sp ] effect suppressing weed germination.Also, If nematodes are a problem rye is the answer.

I plant wheat in existing clover fields as well as clover fields I am establishing. I have found that for whatever reason wheat does much better than oats in my soils / climate. I like oats and think they are fine they just don't work well for me.

Supposedly deer like wheat or oats better than rye. I have never asked them but I see no grazing preference .

Comment

I plant both elbon rye and wheat. In the plots i double crop with soybeans , peas etc. I plant the rye both for the tremendous growth thus thatch thus organic matter as well as the soil benefits the roots offer. Rye also has a mild allopathic [sp ] effect suppressing weed germination.Also, If nematodes are a problem rye is the answer.

I plant wheat in existing clover fields as well as clover fields I am establishing. I have found that for whatever reason wheat does much better than oats in my soils / climate. I like oats and think they are fine they just don't work well for me.

Supposedly deer like wheat or oats better than rye. I have never asked them but I see no grazing preference .
                    I plant wheat, oats, and rye together every year. they dang sure dont pick around any of it.

Comment

Appreciate the info guys. Has anybody had any luck with Bulldog 505 Alfalfa? Some of my turf friends told me about it.

Comment

Rusty,
                        Seeing if I could pick your brain... I'm planting roughly an acre plot with elbon, wheat, Crimson, kale and turnips.
                        Hurricane damage at the house messed up my schedule a bit and I'll likely be dealing with more native grass/weed competition than I would like. Do you know of a good selective herbicide that would not harm the aforementioned? I suppose the first question may be, what kind of native grass. I'll have to check as I don't know much about different weeds and grasses, but I know much of it is broadleaf. Thanks!!
                        Last edited by JLivi1224; 09-16-2017, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                          Rusty,
                          Seeing if I could pick your brain... I'm planting roughly an acre plot with elbon, wheat, Crimson, kale and turnips.
                          Hurricane damage at the house messed up my schedule a bit and I'll likely be dealing with more native grass/weed competition than I would like. Do you know of a good selective herbicide that would not harm the aforementioned? I suppose the first question may be, what kind of native grass. I'll have to check as I don't know much about different weeds and grasses, but I know much of it is broadleaf. Thanks!!

Tough stuff on the hurricane damage. Sorry you had to suffer with that.

First question is have you already planted? If not hit the plot now with round up. We were spraying last week to prep for planting between now and mid Oct. depending on rain. Timing is good

If you have already planted the problem is that you have both small grains, brassicas and clover. I am not familiar with any herbicide you can spray on that combo. If grasses are your biggest problem you may try clethodium [sp?] which is grass specific but if small grains are up it will kill them.If broad leaves are biggest problem I wouldn't worry too much as they probably want last past first frost. Or you could mow high and take the tops out of them.

Comment

First question is have you already planted? If not hit the plot now with round up. We were spraying last week to prep for planting between now and mid Oct. depending on rain. Timing is good

If you have already planted the problem is that you have both small grains, brassicas and clover. I am not familiar with any herbicide you can spray on that combo. If grasses are your biggest problem you may try clethodium [sp?] which is grass specific but if small grains are up it will kill them.If broad leaves are biggest problem I wouldn't worry too much as they probably want last past first frost. Or you could mow high and take the tops out of them.

No I've not planted yet. Sprayed today but I would like to again. However, time may not allow me to spray again so was just curious if if you knew of something.
                            Thank you !

Comment

Oh and thank you for the well wishes. We were truly blessed. Only had water in two rooms.

Comment

what kind of white clovers would you recommend?

Ladino, Lousiana S-1, Regalgrase, Osceola, regal, Barblanca?

Comment

Working...
                                X